Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
I decided to go to an antique shop today and found some cool things. You had many dealers putting their antiques on consignment at one shop so it was huge with a variety of items. The owner of the shop was very nice and had a huge bucket of "scrap silver", he said that some of the silver in there is antique, many monogrammed silver spoons and forks, necklaces, pendents, rings, etc. He said I could buy what was in there for 75 cents a gram. He will melt down some of the silver in there and make sterling bars, he melts down the fragments of necklaces, and some other more junky jewelry without historic significance along with other weird things and leaves anything historical or stuff that maybe is worth more than melt to some people, he sells the bars at a couple cents above melt. I already spent $60 this morning on a coin somewhere else so I did not buy much.

I wanted some junk silver so I bought two things from the junk sterling silver box, I tried to buy unique stuff, not just average junk jewelry
The first thing I bought was a nice unique monogrammed sterling spoon from the silver bucket, anyone know what time period it is from?
20150228_175320.jpg 20150228_175330.jpg 20150228_175409.jpg
Second thing I bought was a nice sterling silver monogrammed thimble from the box of silver.
Anyone know anything about it?
20150228_175450.jpg 20150228_175506.jpg

I than left the silver because I did not want to spend too much money in one place and there was a whole huge store to look at.

I decided to get a nice classic coke bottle from 1953, I love the look of embossed coke bottles from that time. It's in incredible condition was almost no case wear and not a single chip anywhere. This was my first one, I have always wanted to buy one somewhere but never did. Who could pass it up for $3??
20150228_175620.jpg

I saw a shelf full of vintage radios, most were not within my budget. I then noticed a broken radio from the late 1940's, it said, "Not Working, Decoration Only". I checked the price, $9, I debated for a while, the owner of the store let me have it for $7 though. It may be in horrible condition but I love how retro radios look, I just wanted it as a conversation piece to display somewhere so it did not matter much if it worked.
20150228_175709.jpg 20150228_175732.jpg

That is all I bought but from there today, they had everything from old bottles to old farming equipment,vintage military stuff, my favorite, WWII food rations (still unopened in their original packaging :laughing7:) I will hopefully be back there soon

Just wanted to post this, Coinman123

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice little hobble skirt Coke bottle, does it have the bottling plant name embossed on it around the base? usually a city like Jacksonville or similar.Sounds like you were a kid in the candy store, gotta love it.

OP
OP
coinman123

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice little hobble skirt Coke bottle, does it have the bottling plant name embossed on it around the base? usually a city like Jacksonville or similar.Sounds like you were a kid in the candy store, gotta love it.

Thanks, I never wanted to leave the place and was looking at each object and drooling over some nice antiques that were way above my price range. The coke bottle is South Portland Maine. It was the only hobble skirt coke bottle in the store surprisingly,I'm guessing that they do not last long in a store like that, I was expecting it to be priced higher due to it's incredible condition.

He has some colonial silver for $1.50 a gram, I hope to buy some next time.
Thanks!

Last edited:

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can't read the writing on the spoon - what is the name?

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very nice purchases! I like the thimble and old radio. Most times the old radios can be brought back to life with a few replacement tubes and capacitors.

OP
OP
coinman123

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
Very nice purchases! I like the thimble and old radio. Most times the old radios can be brought back to life with a few replacement tubes and capacitors.

The solder on a couple wires came off and the cord is gone, I think it is beyond restoration. On the bright side, the tubes look like they still could work:laughing7:

OP
OP
coinman123

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
The monogram on the spoon says, "Agatha Class" or something similar (I have a hard time reading monograms). The "M" is the only mark I see, along with a worn symbol in front of the word "Sterling". When do you think it's from?

Also, Here is a better photo of the bottle, the first one was pretty bad.
20150228_191237.jpg 20150228_191305.jpg

Last edited:

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great day.
I really like the thimble.
I have 2 1950s Coke bottles made here. Also a 50s Barqs root beer. Common though.
On what coin did you spend $60?
Thanks
Peace ✌

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i think the worn part by the word Sterling is the maker Mark. The M might be the engraver of the name.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread