Dug today near the University of Alabama. Also a question.....

NomadRT

Dec 30, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ACC.jpg

I'm pretty new to detecting, but knowing the history and based on the reactions around me I think this is a pretty big find. It's dirty but in great shape. I'm afraid to clean it honestly, being relatively new to the hobby. Are there any companies or services or something that could clean it up and preserve it for me?

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice find!

Tom Bigbee

Feb 17, 2009
Miss/ Ala
Detector(s) used
1266X
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It looks like a very old button but I can't tell if it's the size of a dime or half dollar. Always take a pic of the back and give the size. There is a forum on here all about cleaning and preserving artifacts and most likely they will tell you to use naval jelly if it is a button. They will tell you how to use it. Very good find.

OP
OP
N

NomadRT

Dec 30, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's an Alabama Corps of Cadets button. I think I'm going to trust the cleaning to someone that knows what they are doing rather than doing it myself.

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
I don't think you could 'damage' the button by cleaning it yourself , unless done wrong. The ground did enough damage for you; it's up to you to make it better for your own satisfaction.
A little lemon juice and an old toothbrush would do wonders for it and not cost anything.
Your button, your call is what it boils down to, I'm just giving you the option I'd use.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread