A Good Water MD

retire05

Feb 16, 2015
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Garrett 350, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK, so here is my dilemma. I live in Virginia. My wife and I love to paddle board (like a surf board only you stand up on it). My other love, MD, is not shared by my wife. I am thinking of combining both loves by doing some water digging as there are tons of waterways around here. I don't want to break the bank, but I want a decent detector to use in water. I thought coming here would be a great move vice going to a store or reading more advertising and trying to discern fact from fantasy. Does anyone have advice?
Thanks,

Brad

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I assume you are thinking of salt water detecting? If so, there are many folks using the Excalibur. Check out the Beach and Water detecting board, you may get more opinions there.

StormSurge

Oct 6, 2011
S E Virginia
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Brad, Tesoro Sand Shark is a great macine built like a tank and won't break the bank. What? Anyway it could definitely do the work but you would know it with no discrimination you'll find everything and dig everything. There's a lot of junk in the waterways. Although there are some nuances in tones, once you learn them, that will help ID some items. This is a Pulse induction machine and can be used just about anywhere.

A/t Pro is another good machine and I believe is waterproof up to 10ft. Also a really good relic and coin shooting machine. A lot of guys have had success using this machine in freshwater streams and rivers but I don't know how it will do in brackishwater and pretty sure it's not made for saltwater

There are other machines out there that I'm sure other members will mention but these are two of the more affordable and both great detectors.

Good Luck!

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello Brad,

White's and Garrett also make nice water machines. The key is to do your research and if at all possible try them out. Each machine has different tones, complexity and price, so what I like may not work for you.

Regards,

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would certainly look at a Fisher CZ 21. I've also been pondering one and lots of the most successful water guys use one.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For paddle boarding, snorkeling and diving I think this unit would be awesome. The electronics are built into the headphones, so it's very lightweight. I own the cz-21 and it would be very heavy on you paddle board. And at $650 you want break the bank.

http://www.detectorpro.com/headhunter-underwater.htm

Last edited:

StormSurge

Oct 6, 2011
S E Virginia
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Brad, you might want to define "I don't want to break the bank" to help narrow your search. Otherwise it just seems like your going to get every bodies favorites and a broad price range. There are some great water detectors out there and in the past many debates on the subject.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread