I found the silver mine!

white dove

Apr 16, 2007
Tennessee
Well,

I found the silver mine ( the lost silver mine in Tennessee close to pomona ) and it is on my property! I have mineral rights when i bought the property but is there something else i need to do to lay claim upon it? I took photos for all to see but have not gotten them developed as of yet but will soon and will post it online here as soon as i get them developed.

This is so great cause i just started hunting when i stummbled upon lost silver mine site, then came here by links, and to think all this time ( owned this property since 1995 and knew about the opening but had no idea what was in it etc, ) and i was sitting on a silver mine - lordy no wonder my well water tasted funny and to beat it all there is a cave futher back that i intend to explore now!

Any info on what i need to do next?

fiatboy

Bronze Member
Jan 28, 2007
Hire a good attorney and learn as much as you can about mine safety. Happy Hunting!

djui5

Bronze Member
May 22, 2006
Mesa, AZ
Detector(s) used
None
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Agreed with the post above. Also, don't trust anyone who says they wanna help you mine it :) People get funny when they're greedy. Also, you might hire someone to help you prove the mines reserves. If there's a lot of Silver, you could probably sell the mine for a nice chunk to someone.

Congrats! Please post pictures. This is very exciting. Also be extremely careful. Old mines are notorious for caving in on people.

Sheldius

Mar 15, 2007
Bronx, NY
Detector(s) used
Garrett Master Hunter CX Plus, Minelab E-trac, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Even if you bought the property with mineral rights, you may still need to stake a claim with the local government. Not positive.

Congrats. Watch out for powdery white or yellow deposits on timbers and walls of old mines. Some ores have arsenic in them which leachs out into the mine and coats surfaces.

Have a fun and safe exploration. Be sure someone knows what you are doing before going cave exploring (don't tell them you are checking out a silver mine of course, just exploring a cave on your property and will call back in 2-3 hours).

OP
OP
white dove

white dove

Apr 16, 2007
Tennessee
Thanks for the much needed info!

I will call a lawyer tomorrow and see what needs to be done. Will also get the pictures developed and post for all to see. When i found it and went in a little ways ( is a very small hole just bearly able to get into it cause it has fell in so much but i got some of the silver out took it to get tested and it was silver i just about fainted.

I just went a little ways in and i can not wait to go back in there more , but first things first and that is making a claim on it.

I have had several dogs and cats go missing and maybe the reason they did was falling into this mine.

BobinSouthVA

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2007
SE Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro / Whites Prism II
I don't want to rain on your parade, but would it actually be worth it to mine it? I remember taking a tour of an abandon silver mine in Ouray CO. which went out of business because the cost of mining operations outweighed the value of the silver mined. The tour guide said most mining operations were now in other countries where labor is cheap.

But I don't know much, maybe thats not true.

Good luck to ya.

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Even if there is not enough silver for commercial mining, it would be a gold mine to let amateur prospectors go in and keep what they find. But, I say again, BUT it must be made safe before you allow anyone inside. I can see it operating kinda' like the diamond fields in Arkansas. Just a thought. Be safe! Monty

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wonder what the law would be if someone comes forward with old shares in the mine?

Does a share entitle you if the property changes hands?

bakergeol

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2004
Colorado
Detector(s) used
GS5 X-5 GMT
Check with the geological survey in your state. Try to get as much information as you can about the old mining history of your area and possible any information about any mining activity on your property.

Funny- I am a geologist and personally I would not be thrilled about finding old silver mining activity on the property I live on. I would question that I could develop it considering today's environmental climate about mining and would be more concerned that my property is on a Superfund site list or will be on one in the future.

Sorry just being honest
George

Sheldius

Mar 15, 2007
Bronx, NY
Detector(s) used
Garrett Master Hunter CX Plus, Minelab E-trac, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm a geoarchaeologist, and I would feel the same way. However, at least it isn't a gold mine :). Those could have all sorts of nasty tailings and chemicals involved. I'd also be afraid of people falling down the hole.

I know that when a company with stock shares goes out of business, the shares are just fancy toilet paper. I'm pretty sure any mine shares work the same way. ;D

OP
OP
white dove

white dove

Apr 16, 2007
Tennessee
Hey everyone!

Thanks for all the feedback on this.

Well i spoke with a lawyer today and he is going to check on some things and get back in touch with me on it. Right now i do not know just how much silver is or how much is in the mine itself as i did find a little at the opening but maybe it will at least be enough to get me out of this tiny camper and maybe into a big mobile home or something but i have to wait for now.

Will try and get around to getting the photos developed tomorrow and post them here. Again wanted to say thanks for all the feedback cause i am new at this stuff and it really helps. Take care and GodBless!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread