Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My bad, it was North Carolina. Thanks for posting the story pepperj!
Ya it's just a little suspicious of an inside job.
Gold is fascinating!

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, and if the "finder" would post pics, that would be appreciated. Thanks

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Inside job all the way... maybe just one of the guards. What the hell are the odds of a breakdown, bad guys just happening by and getting the "drop" on all the guards?

This shouldn't take long to solve. Whatever guards were involved had better be patient... like 20+ years patient.

Coinhawk

Feb 11, 2015
Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Maybe they should inquire with every smelter within a day's drive of that heist to see if 300 pounds of gold was dropped off to be melted down. I wouldn't think the gold would stay in bar form for long, since that is more identifiable.

I hope they catch everyone involved and recover the gold.

Reminds me of an old Dwarf song:

"Far over the Misty Mountains cold...."

OP
OP
M

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm guessing they weren't using a metal detector to find that one. :laughing7: GPS maybe.
Who knew they ship gold in what looks like a normal 18 wheeler!
A little excitement for the snow bound....I wonder if they buried it?.....just wondering.

Yes who ever finds it definitely post the pics! We'd all like to see that!

Last edited:

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Another missing treasure legend is born. They likely buried it and left signs chiseled in rocks with all the appropriate "secret" codes.

Coinhawk

Feb 11, 2015
Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Another missing treasure legend is born. They likely buried it and left signs chiseled in rocks with all the appropriate "secret" codes.

:tongue3:

I bet they spent weeks ahead of the crime working out what the playfair cypher would reveal in a tight ABAB rhyming clue.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Inside job all the way... maybe just one of the guards. What the hell are the odds of a breakdown, bad guys just happening by and getting the "drop" on all the guards?

This shouldn't take long to solve. Whatever guards were involved had better be patient... like 20+ years patient.

Well it's a well known fact that when a person is getting a lowly wage and transporting $$$ it's only a matter of time till temptation takes some down the wrong road.

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Wow! A treasure that doesn't involve a Knight, Mason, Japanese, Nigerian, or a Dutchman that got lost. This could get exciting. We need a dowser to work over a map to find 300 lbs of gold. Hey, don't laugh, I've seen them advertised, just didn't buy one when I had the chance. Those thieves are going to have to hide it somewhere, and be able to go back and find it themselves, so there will be the coded map. Stand by, this is just the beginning, the legend starts. That is unless the dowser gets there first.

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Its all prolly just a big mistake.The guards were on the wrong truck.Right about now some trucker is opening his trailer full of japaneese car parts on some lonely loading dock.Boy is his day about to change..:occasion14:

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Maybe they should inquire with every smelter within a day's drive of that heist to see if 300 pounds of gold was dropped off to be melted down. I wouldn't think the gold would stay in bar form for long, since that is more identifiable.

That may be true... but gold is EASY to melt. Any amateur could do it easily.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Its all prolly just a big mistake.The guards were on the wrong truck.Right about now some trucker is opening his trailer full of japaneese car parts on some lonely loading dock.Boy is his day about to change..:occasion14:

He would turn it in and collect the $50,000 reward, then the IRS takes it's half share, he gets miffed and takes the next load for himself.:blackbeard:

OP
OP
M

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All they would have to do is save the GPS co-ordinance, no map, black painted hand print on a rock, or death bed confession with whispered location.

Question is how well do you think they planned it out or was it more like spur of the moment? That would have a lot to do with how well they either hid or handled the gold.

I can hear the pitter patter of TH'ers feet headed there now! Lol!

Juice in the hole

Mar 22, 2014
North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All they would have to do is save the GPS co-ordinance, no map, black painted hand print on a rock, or death bed confession with whispered location.

Question is how well do you think they planned it out or was it more like spur of the moment? That would have a lot to do with how well they either hid or handled the gold.

I can hear the pitter patter of TH'ers feet headed there now! Lol!

I'm starting to think that the guards might not have had anything to do with it, but were instead incompetent boobs that were intentionally inserted into the situation for an expected outcome. Maybe an insurance scam or simply a supervisor who scheduled the shipment and then hired henchmen to rob the truck? Just speculation of course.

One thing is for certain in this story and that is if these drivers weren't complicit in the crime, they have to be the worst security guards on the planet earth. Who in their right mind pulls over on the side of the road with 9.8 million in gold and silver on board and then jumps out to stretch their legs without their guns? And why would the company shipping the load (again, 9.8 MILLION!) send it out for delivery without at least a basic security detail? Stuffing gold and silver bars into barrels and securing the lot with a Masterlock? What legitimate insurance company would sign off on these practices? I see more professional tactics used by the guys dropping off petty cash at the Walmart. Something sure is fishy and I predict someone getting burned very badly over this. Unless of course they've already fled to Mexico.

OP
OP
M

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was a little surprised it was shipped in a regular semi with very little security, tells me this is probably how they always ship it, until now. What sized vehicle did they cart it off in, another semi?

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was a little surprised it was shipped in a regular semi with very little security, tells me this is probably how they always ship it, until now. What sized vehicle did they cart it off in, another semi?

They didn't carry away much weight... hell my Cobalt could have carried away what they took!!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread