Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a hard one. I don't know what a ram rod holder looks like but those have the little piece inside like the ink pen tips do, but it's a guess.

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Totally a ramrod thimble from a musket; it's the terminus of the three guides that hold the ramrod under the barrel and sits against the stock

I can't imagine writing anything with it lol

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That "little spring inside" was an addition to an entry pipe to hold metal rammers in place. Wood rammers usually have enough kink from uneven grain to hold themselves in place. May or may not be what you have IF they are entry pipes.

But I don't know that is what your image shows. They don't look like anything I am familiar with. But then I follow Pennsylvania style longrifles and not European versions. Could also be from a pistol.

Last edited:

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Charlie P. used the proper terminology, it's called an "entry pipe," and is located on the muzzle loading firearm where the ramrod enters the wood on the fore stock. On a pistol there would be and additional holder near the muzzle, and the proper term for that is "thimble." A muzzle loading rifle would have two thimbles and one entry pipe.
The small flange on the pipe or thimble is use to pin the item to the wooden stock. These pieces are inlet into the wood, and then a pin through the wood and the flange holds the piece in place.
8.jpg
Here is an entry pipe and a thimble showing the flange.
7.jpg
This photos show the thimble and pipe, and the V's point out the pin going through the wood to hold them in place. In between the two V's there is a darker pin that is a
bit harder to to see. That's the pin the holds the barrel in place, and it passes through a flange on the bottom of the barrel. Hopes this helps.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I moderator on a traditional muzzleloading website and have a couple "good" flintlocks.

This is one I own; but for a tapered wood rammer:
DSCN0050.jpg

It is a 1760+/- style British fowling piece, by the way.

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
How come my post loaded twice?

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
T Net likes you twice as much!

It happens to me sometimes but I have no idea why I just delete one post.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread