Higgy

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2014
NH
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Garbage in - garbage out: an old saying, which was first coined back in time when the world was just beginning to understand computers and how a computer deals with data. Our human brains are a lot like this. So many of us are victims to media. I'm not speaking of social media particularly, but electronic media in general. Fact is, I'm addicted.

Yes, I'm addicted, and I am realizing it more and more lately. The insidious way that it affects my life is only now coming into stark relief, especially after I went on a "Media Diet," when Missy and I were in Myrtle Beach last week.

We went to Myrtle, and I was more worried about forgetting my phone charger than I was to forget my toothbrush. I lay on the hotel bed at night texting and surfing this forum and others while the TV was on. We couldn't go anywhere without our GPS, and our phones to look up restaurant reviews and such. I'm starting to get annoyed that I am dependent upon this stuff now. I'm so addicted. Are there any 12-steps for people like me?

Where is the spontaneity of life now? Where is the excitement of taking a wrong turn and seeing something new because of it? I think electronic media is sucking the joy out of our existence. Is life better with it? How pure is your emotions and feelings with it versus without it? Even though we were on holiday and took a lappy with us, I still felt media-deprived. I needed the input! I felt weird and out of sorts without it. After a few days, I was longing to be home in front of the keyboard that I am pecking furiously away at right now.

I can't do anything without the cyber world inside my head. It adulterates everything I do, and I don't like it. When I was a child I grew up living an electronics-free existence. We didn't have electronic games or anything like that. The first time I saw Pong I was 15, but we were still using slide rules in physics and chemistry class.

When I was around 12 or so, my favorite thing to do was to take my fishing pole and my boy scout backpack and go into the woods for a few days all by myself. My great-grandmother gave me a small, old cast iron pan, and I would tie that to my pack with a piece of rawhide. With a piece of salt pork wrapped in wax paper, and my pan I could catch little trouts and cook them up for supper. We never thought of giardia or anything like that. If you saw fresh water and you were thirsty, you drank it. I ate wild berries and trout and panfish and loved it. I was Tom Sawyer. I was Daniel Boone.

My mother took a serious dislike to my excursions. Dad was the one who said (to her) that I needed to do it, "to be a man." That was his way of approving my actions; he did similar things when he was a kid. Mom was pretty antsy about not knowing where her boy was. She really was upset when I took off once and forgot to tell her. The police and game warden were called. They found me by a brook, fishing, and I was taken home. I got a pretty good beating for that one.

I'm rambling now, but the point I want to make is that life is not necessarily better with all this data input now. We forget things easier. We cant sleep as well. Simple joys are harder to obtain, or perhaps have changed/adapted to wrap around our electronics-saturated existence. We can't focus for any length of time. We are all suffering from a form of ADHD driven by the sheer input of information to our brains. Life was easier back then. I felt things more vividly. I'd love to get back there, but outside of owning a DeLorian equipped with a Flux Capacitor, I'm coming up short on how to do it. There may be a way however...

This morning I did a little Google-ing, and came up with this. Digitally Engineered Disease: the content of discontent | ecoHolos: One, Health, Whole, Healing It struck a chord. I may have to take a "media fast" as they call it.

Thanks for reading my morning musings, and by all means... DISCUSS!

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Your thoughts are warranted in we live in a world that is electronically driven, micro waves, EMI, noise pollution, etc. There's the group that just don't want to hear it, don't understand it, live within it, discount it, to the other side of the coin where some go as far as to having their living place and especially the sleeping areas protected from all EMI, this for health or a peace of mind.

Folks go out into the country to go camping, there's no cell connections, no power, just nature and the first comment the will come from most is how peaceful it is there.

We lived in Toronto which is #5 largest city in NA and did this for 25yrs, moved to an island, then moved to a more remote area away from most influences from over populated urban areas.

We're coming up to 1yr anniversary of getting rid of the TV, watch Netflix a couple of times a week and still have streaming of Songza - Listen to Music Curated by Music Experts for background noise. Slowly working to be more off the grid, less dependant on stores, merchandise, we try to buy used if we're able to, recycle most things, growing more of our food.

Even though we all get the basis of good clean living as you did in the early years it seems that life pulls us away sucks us into a downward spiral till we climb back out and unplug and start living once again.

Will I give up the modern conveniences of the internet? No, as it's a very useful/less tool in my life, just has to used in moderation.

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
My wife and I took our boat out for about 6 weeks last fall. We turned off all the electronic gizmos, sans the necessary navigation and comms.

Point being, when we got home we turned on the news for the first time in 6 weeks.

It was exactly the same news as when we left. Didn't miss a thing by not being tethered to the magic of the modern digital age.

Doing it again in a month or two.

I call it NDD with my grandsons, who have every gadget.

Nature Deficit Disorder, a terrible disease.

I'm going to stop typing now and go outside and g

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, we used to spend our afternoons after school and weekends playing baseball, football, basketball, fishing in the local ponds and hunting with our bb guns...it has changed and not for the good.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My wife and I took our boat out for about 6 weeks last fall. We turned off all the electronic gizmos, sans the necessary navigation and comms.

Point being, when we got home we turned on the news for the first time in 6 weeks.

It was exactly the same news as when we left. Didn't miss a thing by not being tethered to the magic of the modern digital age.

Doing it again in a month or two.

I call it NDD with my grandsons, who have every gadget.

Nature Deficit Disorder, a terrible disease.

I'm going to stop typing now and go outside and g
We have a hunting lease near a small town in Alabama...We stay in an old wooden house built in the 40s and when were there we are oblivious to whats going on in the news...its like going back in time...the nearby town reminds me of Mayberry from the Andy Griffith show...no rat race and everyone is friendly.

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kim and I have a rule. I put my phone up and shut the ringer off when she gets home. I have a friend who is a relationship counselor. It really hit me when he asked me one time how much time I spend truly focused on my partner with zero distractions. Actually giving her the attention and respect that she deserves. Not half listening while I'm watching tv or looking at the iPad. It was basically zero. It made me feel pretty crappy about myself that I was so damn distracted and I wasn't being the best partner I could be. So we made some changes. Now when Kim gets home I give her a warm welcome with a hug and a kiss. She's manages a bank so I let her tell me about her day and unwind. She's one of those people that needs to do that. I'm just the opposite. When I get home I don't even want to think about work. We often will cook dinner together now and we always eat together at the table. Not with the tv on in the background or with cel phones beside us. Eating a good meal together at the table was something very important to my mom. She also had a nightly dinner ritual called "good things". Everybody at the table told the others one nice thing they did for another person that day. It really makes you aware of those around you that could use a hand and makes you more accountable. It feels good to say "hey I saw a lady with a flat tire and I changed it for her". Or whatever it might be. I'll stop rambling now but I've learned in the last few years that every moment that passes us by we never get back. Make the time with your loved ones special. Make them feel like they're the only people on earth and that everything they say is important. Recognize every good thing that they do. Give lots of hugs and kisses and tell them you love them all the time. This stuff is important. You don't want to wake up someday when you're 88 years old thinking that you wasted these years because you were too preoccupied with work, money, or whatever the distraction was. Your family and loved ones are way more important than any of it. Ok I promise I'll shut up now lol

OP
OP
Higgy

Higgy

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2014
NH
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Your thoughts are warranted in we live in a world that is electronically driven, micro waves, EMI, noise pollution, etc. There's the group that just don't want to hear it, don't understand it, live within it, discount it, to the other side of the coin where some go as far as to having their living place and especially the sleeping areas protected from all EMI, this for health or a peace of mind.

Folks go out into the country to go camping, there's no cell connections, no power, just nature and the first comment the will come from most is how peaceful it is there.

We lived in Toronto which is #5 largest city in NA and did this for 25yrs, moved to an island, then moved to a more remote area away from most influences from over populated urban areas.

We're coming up to 1yr anniversary of getting rid of the TV, watch Netflix a couple of times a week and still have streaming of Songza - Listen to Music Curated by Music Experts for background noise. Slowly working to be more off the grid, less dependant on stores, merchandise, we try to buy used if we're able to, recycle most things, growing more of our food.

Even though we all get the basis of good clean living as you did in the early years it seems that life pulls us away sucks us into a downward spiral till we climb back out and unplug and start living once again.

Will I give up the modern conveniences of the internet? No, as it's a very useful/less tool in my life, just has to used in moderation.

Maybe some day I will get to live off the grid, Pep. Some day. Its been an unrealized dream of mine since the early 80's. Its my fault that I've always slid it to the rear of my priority list. Perhaps in my next life I will be Jeremiah Johnson.

OP
OP
Higgy

Higgy

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2014
NH
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Kim and I have a rule. I put my phone up and shut the ringer off when she gets home. I have a friend who is a relationship counselor. It really hit me when he asked me one time how much time I spend truly focused on my partner with zero distractions. Actually giving her the attention and respect that she deserves. Not half listening while I'm watching tv or looking at the iPad. It was basically zero. It made me feel pretty crappy about myself that I was so damn distracted and I wasn't being the best partner I could be. So we made some changes. Now when Kim gets home I give her a warm welcome with a hug and a kiss. She's manages a bank so I let her tell me about her day and unwind. She's one of those people that needs to do that. I'm just the opposite. When I get home I don't even want to think about work. We often will cook dinner together now and we always eat together at the table. Not with the tv on in the background or with cel phones beside us. Eating a good meal together at the table was something very important to my mom. She also had a nightly dinner ritual called "good things". Everybody at the table told the others one nice thing they did for another person that day. It really makes you aware of those around you that could use a hand and makes you more accountable. It feels good to say "hey I saw a lady with a flat tire and I changed it for her". Or whatever it might be. I'll stop rambling now but I've learned in the last few years that every moment that passes us by we never get back. Make the time with your loved ones special. Make them feel like they're the only people on earth and that everything they say is important. Recognize every good thing that they do. Give lots of hugs and kisses and tell them you love them all the time. This stuff is important. You don't want to wake up someday when you're 88 years old thinking that you wasted these years because you were too preoccupied with work, money, or whatever the distraction was. Your family and loved ones are way more important than any of it. Ok I promise I'll shut up now lol

Excellent words to live by, my friend, and I am going to put some of it into practice. Missy and I were all luvvy-duvvy and sweet to each other down in Myrtle despite all the destractions - BUT - we were enlisted into those distractions together. It makes the difference I think. When we got back, we slowly started getting snarky with each other again. The good part is that we noticed it this time.

OP
OP
Higgy

Higgy

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2014
NH
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So let me ask you guys this.

How DO you wean yourself from it? Does anyone feel like they'll be left out somehow if they don't do electronic media? I'm no face-booker or tweeter or twanger or wang-danger, but I do enjoy the forums. What do you guys think? What if? What if all of a sudden, there was absolutely ZERO electricity available? One of my favorite books on this subject is, One Second After, by William R. Forstchen. Its pretty darn good, and a worthy read by anyone who believes we are vulnerable. So how many people would go mental for real if all of a sudden they couldn't heat their skettio's in the microwave and sip beer while they are watching reruns of Married with Children and playing candy crush during the commercials?

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excellent words to live by, my friend, and I am going to put some of it into practice. Missy and I were all luvvy-duvvy and sweet to each other down in Myrtle despite all the destractions - BUT - we were enlisted into those distractions together. It makes the difference I think. When we got back, we slowly started getting snarky with each other again. The good part is that we noticed it this time.

Yes I've become a lot more aware of my relationship and more accountable of my actions. It's a lot of work to make things great

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So let me ask you guys this.

How DO you wean yourself from it? Does anyone feel like they'll be left out somehow if they don't do electronic media? I'm no face-booker or tweeter or twanger or wang-danger, but I do enjoy the forums. What do you guys think? What if? What if all of a sudden, there was absolutely ZERO electricity available? One of my favorite books on this subject is, One Second After, by William R. Forstchen. Its pretty darn good, and a worthy read by anyone who believes we are vulnerable. So how many people would go mental for real if all of a sudden they couldn't heat their skettio's in the microwave and sip beer while they are watching reruns of Married with Children and playing candy crush during the commercials?
Bring it on...Im a hunter and fisherman, my whole family is...weve done everything from catching alligators to killing wild boar with nothing but a knife and a dog...although its convenient and I like fast food, I don't need a drive thru window to survive...sorry, were we talking about surviving or just living without our electronic comforts? :tongue3: I got a little carried away.:laughing7:

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All I would miss is Tnet and research. I could do without the rest but I LOVE this forum

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey Higgy.

I know the feeling. I sell technology for a living, but don't embrace it totally. I use the smart phone, but mainly as a phone. I do not have a computer at the house... I only visit the forum during work. I made a conscious decision several years ago to avoid an over indulgence in technology. No game console, no computer, no Facebook, no ATM card.
It is hard to wean yourself off of it, but for me, it was worth it. I just made a decision, and stuck with it.

GL&HH!

slink

Dec 12, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The first step to recovery is admitting you have a problem.

Higgy,many are addicted to all kinds of tech.The best way to fix it is remember how it was before.

chirper97

Mar 28, 2005
south charleston, wv
Detector(s) used
White's V3i, White's DFX 300, Garrett Infinium PI, Fisher CZ6A, Garrett Deepseeker and Groundhog ADS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The schools here in WV are now providing free IPADs to high school students. The kids are quickly addicted to games and diversions. I don't see them excited about using the devices for meaningful research.

The high school cafeteria has been figuratively transformed into an internet bar, with socializing cut in at least half. We are indoctrinating our children into a high tech/low intelligence lifestyle that is probably irreversible except for an E.M.P. In elementary schools, pre-K to the 5th grade, children are sitting at computer monitors glued to 'educational' video games. The children are monitored to stay glued to their monitors.

This is how someone like our Dear Leader is assured of future voters and support.

Child-INDOCTRINATION.jpg

Last edited:

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It's kind of an all or none for me, addictive personality so the only way to do something is just stop, period, no going back. We used to do without TV from May till Oct. for about 8 or so years then it grabbed us again, and then we opted out, don't miss it. We listen to one or two minute news casts in the morning then that's it for the day, sometimes we miss a few days in a row. It's just bad, nothing good, SSDD written all over the reports.

So TNet and my clubs forum, history books on my area, planning to get some more done at the place this year, chicken coop, and get the barn ready for something? Simple as simple gets, might dig out a dump on the property.

Started a coffee meet up at the community hall, got three permissions to detect different properties in turn for finding some iron bars on the properties, easy trade, and met some real intestine folks. The first meeting we went to last year the hall board was going to lock it up, shut the place down, now through the efforts of a few folks we got a hall again that has functions and the heart of the hamlet is starting to beat once again.
Beats listening or watching wars, killings, economy, jobs, gas prices. If a person just gets rid of one electronic device out of their lives and take the time to focus on real life instead, it would good.

fuzzy535

Dec 12, 2014
fairview park, ohio
Detector(s) used
AT Gold, ACE 350,
Fisher F4, whites prizm III, bounty hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
funny my wife and i had a very similar conversaion about this. we were discussing the tv show with the browns, the family living off the grid in alaska...damn i cant think of the name now...but anyway, we were thinking how crazy they are for living like that them i realized that one weeks pay for me just covers our "entertainment" bills..ie.. internet, cable, cellphones, dinning out and what not. alot of which probably could be reduced or go without. got me thinking how dependent i am on all my tech..starting to think im the crazy one now...

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It's not the issue if we can afford the devices, but it gets me that the providers just supply the same crap. Cable $80 a month for 1000 channels no movies, just 20 channels playing in different time zones, internet another $80 10mb download speed and the signal comes from Saskatoon? Cell phones $120 a month for really basic service, we get hosed so bad by our providers it's a constant war between folks and their providers. Drives folks nuts so when we unplug one of them it's a happy dance. Now if I could get rid of the hydro smart meters I'd be one happy camper.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Netflicks, it gives you all the movies or TV programs you want to watch.. Lots of movies on YouTube too.....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread