Remember joking Tom Massie in the unsafe mine crumbling around him?

chirper97

Mar 28, 2005
south charleston, wv
Detector(s) used
White's V3i, White's DFX 300, Garrett Infinium PI, Fisher CZ6A, Garrett Deepseeker and Groundhog ADS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I remember an incredible, perhaps contrived, Gold Fever episode featuring Tom Massie video-ing himself as he bumbles around in a very unsafe mine. The beams are cracking, dirt is falling, his flashlight is growing dim, and Tom just keeps videotaping and shrugging off a potential cave-in and disaster.

It may have been Episode 141 - Deep Down in the Glory Hole

I wonder if it is available anywhere?

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yea I believe he faked allot of that as a way to scare new potential explorers.

Sorry I don't know what episode that was.
But I was convinced he fakes them after the time both the camera Light
& his Light went out at the same time & he didn't have emergency light.
and after a little acting like they were screwed,
Miraculously he was able to see a tiny pinpoint of light for them to follow :tongue3:

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
my favorite was him finding nuggets at the base of a glacier.
is he still alive?

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
wow, I didn't know they were still making gold fever. I'll have to look for it

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I never heard of the guy before, a first once again.

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
I think the show was way more real than what's called "Reality TV" Especially when Tom would fall on his butt and look so clumsy. I would have edited that out.

My favorite from the 90's was a guy in S cal that had an amazing high banker set up in his yard. He had a secret place in the mountains he would collect dirt from and process it at home. Near the end of the show his daughter brought Tom out to the street and showed him fine gold by the curb that had washed down from the near by mountains. Said Father will be sweeping it up later.
Thinking how hard it is to find any gold at all and they have it delivered to the front door.

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Due to the years I've spent as a caver, Tom's show has always bugged me in that he nearly never wore a hardhat, nor carried obvious back up lights etc. One of the best reasons cavers prefer hardhats with helmet lamps is due to the fact that if one starts to fall they automatically look in the direction they're falling and the light on the helmet will light the landing area and/or handholds to catch.
luvsdux

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
Due to the years I've spent as a caver, Tom's show has always bugged me in that he nearly never wore a hardhat, nor carried obvious back up lights etc. One of the best reasons cavers prefer hardhats with helmet lamps is due to the fact that if one starts to fall they automatically look in the direction they're falling and the light on the helmet will light the landing area and/or handholds to catch.
luvsdux

I too was a caver and a member of the Windy City Grotto. Safety was always first.
Even worse than Tom's show are the DIY home wrecking shows where safety is unheard of. Especially when using a table saw. No guards, no feather boards, no sense.

yodi

Mar 24, 2015
NE Washington
Detector(s) used
Whites Coin Master / Garret Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Tom Massie is the man and gold fever was a great show. If i ever met him i would by him a beer.

OP
OP
chirper97

chirper97

Mar 28, 2005
south charleston, wv
Detector(s) used
White's V3i, White's DFX 300, Garrett Infinium PI, Fisher CZ6A, Garrett Deepseeker and Groundhog ADS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tom Massie is the man and gold fever was a great show. If i ever met him i would by him a beer.

I believe Tom can now purchase an entire brewery and provide drinks on the house!

He is a corker!

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Yes that is one reality show i do watch ." Gold Fever" with Tom Massie and i also watch's his dad's show also the one that started it all.. George "Buzzard" Massie ... Here is G.Massie in his younger days then his older days th.jpeg th.jpeg He founded the GPAA in1968 and died at the young age of 54

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread