Recently bought some acreage in a historical area... virgin detecting land?

Flounder

Mar 9, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Recently bought some acreage in a historical area, we bought four acres (a small farm) complete with an original farmhouse still intact. The land and house are in an area loaded with history going back to well before the founding of the USA. I doubt anyone has ever detected on this land, and I look forward to hitting it when the weather turns. We currently lease the land other than one acre and the house out to a farmer, so the soil gets turned twice a year and is soft for digging.

Before we bought this place, we lived in Ocean City MD, and the setup I bought for OC was a Whites DF complete with a stealth 720i scoop. I bought the rig and scoop new in late winter/early spring of last year. My question - will the DF be useless out in the farm field? I know it's going to be useless around the vicinity of the house (tried it briefly last summer when we bought), too much junk.

If it is to be useless, I'll sell or trade it for a discriminating detector. If that is the case, what might be comparable if someone does want to trade? What could I expect reasonably in trade? I don't want to trade down, and I did so much research on the DF when I bought it that I didn't really look into other detectors, so my research begins again. Also, any tips for the new kind of detecting I'll be doing? What to dig with, techniques etc?

Thanks!

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
metal_detector.gif
Super on the land - don't forget to keep us posted on your findings!

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Just remember the further away from the house the less targets and less frustration in digging. Kind of think of your place as a target making the house the centre of the bullseye and the outer ring is the perimeter of the property and being the least amount of targets. Just find the comfort ring of the property and start working towards the centre it sometimes really helps sorting out a site and not getting overwhelmed by the excessive clutter.

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
Recently bought some acreage in a historical area, we bought four acres (a small farm) complete with an original farmhouse still intact. The land and house are in an area loaded with history going back to well before the founding of the USA. I doubt anyone has ever detected on this land, and

Well now, we won't know if anything good is there until you have invited all of your TN friends over for a BBQ and hunting day, now will we?

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would dig all that junk to so I could get to the bottom where all the good stuff "sank in". I can only imagine the possibilities. And definitely look for the bank, or the old privy spots as most of us would call them.

mxh5891

Feb 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Flounder, do you know of any good spots to hit while in ocean city? I go there a few times a year and I just upgraded my machine to an AT pro. I am usually around Assateague or Ocean Pines. I hit the beach usually but haven't had to much luck.

relicmeister

Bronze Member
Jul 26, 2012
Poconos, Nw.NJ & Delaware Valley
Detector(s) used
XP Orx Deus II, 9” coil
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Flounder, I can't envy you enough, whatever detector you wind up with. Please keep us at tnet posted with your finds and enjoy yourself.

OP
OP
Flounder

Flounder

Mar 9, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks everyone! I'll keep you all updated. I gotta figure out what detector to get for this application.

(I think he meant "Treasure Net", not"Tennessee" lol, I'm in Maryland... :) )

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I know not about your Detector & more about Minelab
so only thing I could suggest is if you decide to upgrade.
I'd have to say go Etrac or higher.
however I do believe many get frustrated with learning the high end Minelab machines
because or the extreme high sensitivity and learning curve.so do like before.
Research :thumbsup:

as for the Land Buy.
Excellent deal.
If I'd ever hit the Lottery that is what I'd do.

Buy, search & Either open it to others after finds slow :laughing7:
or Flip & buy another piece to search.

Good Huntin' !!!!!! keep us updated

Last edited:

Doubter in MD

Bronze Member
Jan 18, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm in Maryland. BBQ? I don't think so. Let me know when you're having that crab feast and hunting party. :laughing7:

Higgy

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2014
NH
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm in Maryland. BBQ? I don't think so. Let me know when you're having that crab feast and hunting party. :laughing7:

I think Flounder should host a TNet Pajama Party. :hello2:

TheSleeper

Nov 25, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE/Excal
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not familiar with the DF, but best suggestion I can give: Its your property so you do not have to worry about anyone else hunting it, so start around the buildings and clean everything out that you can hear, yes at first it will be a royal PITA, but soon the jewels will start to pop out of the soil for you. Don't forget in history many did not like banks so they had their own private banks on their property and also as has been suggested definitely seek out those old privies, they are gold mines. A property that old probably has multiple privies on it, yeah they sorta get filled up over the years, so a new one is dug and old one filled, most times right next to the old one.

Best of luck to you.:thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread