How many holes do you dig?

How many holes do you dig in one hour? (average)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• more+++

• Total voters

wheres_wheatie

Sep 2, 2006
Vermont
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro w/ Carrot
Hi All.
I started this hobby late last year and am still very new to it. I've been out three times over the last couple weeks and haven't found anything great. I'm worried that I move to slow but am afraid to rush and miss the good stuff. I dig less then five holes in one hour and just wanted to see how this compares to all you pros in here :) Also if anyone would like to post there style/technique for MD'ing that would be great and would give me a better understanding of how to produce better.

Here is how I do it...
When I pinpoint a target with my MD I use my mini shovel in my left hand to push up the "plug" (not sure I'm using that right) then I scan over the plug and whole to see if it's out. If it is I use my pinpointer (back left pocket) to locate. If not I lay down my rag (back right pocket) and pull out my little plastic shovel (front right pocket). I scoop all the loose dirt out of the whole on to the rag and scan it and the hole for the signal. Usually I find the target doing this but sometimes I need to dig a little around the hole with my plastic shovel. I search with Disc. mode all the way down and if I hit a silver signal I switch to all metal mode to confirm.

Thanks. WW

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
I don't think I can reply with an easy answer...

Man it really depends on where I hunt, and - what I'm hunting for! Coins only or relics, or whatever happens to be there. I can dig non-stop in some places! I have some spots I can get on my knees and start digging, swing the coil for one second a swing again without ever getting up (if I want to collect nails and trash).

I prolly dig 5 - 10 keepers and hour - but dig 15 - 25 holes. I'm guess-ti-mating. I'd share my technique but then you might think I actually know what I'm doing.

What kind of detector you using?

lucky1777

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2005
Illinois
Cant give you a guess on how many holes I dig. It depends on where I am hunting. One thing I do that you did not mention is. Instead of scooping the dirt out and placing it on a rag. I loosen the dirt up and grad a med. sized handful. I then move that hand over my coil. This works great as long as you have no rings, metal buttons or other jewelry on. If there is nothing in the hand, I place it on my rag and grad another handfull. Good luck..

OP
OP
wheres_wheatie

wheres_wheatie

Sep 2, 2006
Vermont
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro w/ Carrot
What kind of detector you using?

I use the Bounty Hunter Lone Star, till I find something of real value then I'll by a better one.

I loosen the dirt up and grad a med. sized handful. I then move that hand over my coil.

I do this to sometimes. Thats why I use a plastic shovel for scooping so I can pass it by my coil.

BioProfessor

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2007
Mankato, MN
Detector(s) used
Minelab e-Trac, White E-Series DFX
The number of holes I dig depends on the number of "good" signals I get. That will depend on the area. I have been hunting an area lately that my detecting partner and I are digging about 100-150 holes and hour (no joke, the place is clad heaven). Another place, I probably dig one hole every 5 minutes (trashy area and I've learned what a bottle cap and crushed beer can sounds like - broken up sound & changing VDI with no consistent bars. Still can't tell aluminum from a good signal though.). So there is no real answer as it depends on the site AND your searching technique. You don't mention your swing speed. I find a relatively fast swing speed will give me an initial "hit" that I can go back and find with a slower swing - 4"x6" DD Shooter Coil with DFX.

So tell us more about your swing speed, size of coil, what you do when you hear a sound, and how you determine if you dig a signal.

Daryl

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I am working a manicured lawn etc., I will carefully save the loose dirt in a rag, but otherwise I just rake it back into the hole and mash the plug down. I use a three sided plug while the 4th side acts like a hinge. Not quite sure why you switch to all metal and what you are trying to confirm? In a park setting I'll dig about ten holes an hour, but like others have said it depends on the area and what I am seeking. Monty

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
10/hr in a park. Maybe three or four in the woods. Dozens at fire-pits and parking spots where teenagers have clustered. Also depends on my mood whether I dig the "iffy" signals.

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
BioProfessor said:
The number of holes I dig depends on the number of "good" signals I get. That will depend on the area. I have been hunting an area lately that my detecting partner and I are digging about 100-150 holes and hour (no joke, the place is clad heaven). Another place, I probably dig one hole every 5 minutes (trashy area and I've learned what a bottle cap and crushed beer can sounds like - broken up sound & changing VDI with no consistent bars. Still can't tell aluminum from a good signal though.). So there is no real answer as it depends on the site AND your searching technique. You don't mention your swing speed. I find a relatively fast swing speed will give me an initial "hit" that I can go back and find with a slower swing - 4"x6" DD Shooter Coil with DFX.

So tell us more about your swing speed, size of coil, what you do when you hear a sound, and how you determine if you dig a signal.

Daryl

Good points Daryl.

There is no hard fast rules in MDing other than following the Metal Detector Code of Etics and getting permission and cleaning up the trash uncovered.

OP
OP
wheres_wheatie

wheres_wheatie

Sep 2, 2006
Vermont
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro w/ Carrot
I'm not to sure about my swing speed. I move pretty fast, I'm 25 (good health), tall with long legs. I'm using the 8in coil that came with my B.H but have a 10in on the way. I'm not sure if it will make a big difference or not.
When I spot a signal, if it's silver I go to all metal mode to make sure it's not an iron signal being picked up by the corner of the coil. This happens alot with my lone star and I can usually also tell when the silver signal doesn't repeat with each swing. If it's good( any thing that repeats) I cut the sensitivity in half to help pinpoint then dig.
It sounds like the areas I'm digging are just real clean as I find my self searching for awhile between each dig (at least 10mins).

BioProfessor

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2007
Mankato, MN
Detector(s) used
The reason I asked about your swing speed is that it should match your walking (forward motion). You should swing the coil in a semi-circle in front of you being careful to not raise the coil at the end of a swing which will cause false "hits." Your sweep speed should be slow enough so you detector has time to react to any target below the coil. It should also be slow enough to slightly overlap each semi-circular swing. Your swing (sweep) should be as fast when you want to cover a lot of ground in a short amount of time. If you can overlap your sweep areas and you are sure your detector is quick enough to react to it, you are fine. I would suggest, however, that you check it out. Bury a couple of silver coins (dime, quarter), a small gold ring, a pull tab, etc. about 4-6 inches deep (in plastic bags for easy retrieval and into undisturbed soil if possible - dig a hole and push them into the sides of the hole.) in an area you know is free of other targets. Use your normal swing speed and go over each target. Make sure you are able to pick up these targets with your normal sweep speed. That could be influencing how many good targets you pick up and how many you pass over. It is easy to do and should tell you quite a bit. You may need to slow down or make sure your sweeps are slightly overlapping.

I assume that you sweep the target repeatedly from different directions and watch to see if the target type indicator changes. If it changes and you are digging these targets, that will increase your trash/treasure ratio. I assume that you also dig other smooth, consistent signals and don't just go for silver signals. You may be missing some good finds - IH pennies, V nickels, tokens, all the clad stuff, etc. - if that is all you go after.

Just some thoughts that may help.

Daryl

OP
OP
wheres_wheatie

wheres_wheatie

Sep 2, 2006
Vermont
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro w/ Carrot
Thanks Daryl, thats great advice. I've never really done any tests on my MD but it does sound like something I should have done the day I got it. I do dig all repeatable signals and some times if I haven't gotten a good one in awhile I'll dig the bad ones just for fun. I always think what could it be, and then I have to know.(yay another nail)

BioProfessor

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2007
Mankato, MN
Detector(s) used
Geez. I thought I was the only one who dug really iffy signals when I was bored.

Daryl

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
Montana Jim said:
BioProfessor said:
Geez. I thought I was the only one who dug really iffy signals when I was bored.

Daryl

You are not alone... :-\

Nope, me as well. I posted about a ladies sterling knife I dug at an honest 8". It would read as coin (silver) then iron---back and forth never locking in no matter what angle. I dug and dug and finally the target came out. The blade was so rusty that it was registering as the iron which was most of it. The sides were thin but sterling. Thus the meter confusion.

Sorry, didn't mean to overpost. Good luck on those iffy signals and HH!

nahabit

Bronze Member
Jan 10, 2006
20-30 holes per hour, our woods are full of iron,,,,and after me they are full of the holes :) )

Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have dug as many as 45 holes on one hour, and as few as none.

Ed Donovan

cosmic

Dec 31, 2006
Watseka, Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Fors Core, X pointer, Sunrays
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
0 if there is no good targets.. maybe 10 per hour on a good day.. I usually use 2 different colored poker chip and when I pinpoint a high tone a white chip and blue for mid tones.. After I have 5 -10 chips out then I go back and dig... Easier for this old man not getting up and down all the time..

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Haha, I say about 3-5 Cause I dig 2 hits that are 4 inches deep fast and easy. Then on the 3rd,4th and 5th hit I am spending 2 hours on a quarter hit at 8 inches. In High hopes that is a silver coin and digging a steal plate at 14 inches. lol

Keep @ it and HH!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread