Best gold detector for under 1000 bucks that works best?

Gwozhog

Tenderfoot
Jun 8, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
I posted on here last summer how I lost my Rolex in a river and was looking for advice on the best underwater Metal detector. After I found my watch I sold my sand shark because I thought I was done metal detecting for the rest of my life. Well now I find myself thinking about all the gold that people have lost and its just waiting for me to find like my watch was. Im looking for the best discriminate gold metal detector to be had for under a 1000 bucks. Is there even a metal detector made that only hits on gold. Im not interested on hitting any other type of metal just gold. It also does not have to be an underwater detector either. Thanks for your input. Gwozhog

DonDigger

Jan 11, 2013
Galveston Bay Area
Detector(s) used
Teknetics, Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Metal detectors differentiate the types of metal due to their strength of conductivity. Since several metals have a similar conductivity to gold (like nickel) it would be hard (and not very profitable) to design a detector with that limited a detection range. Good news is that most modern detectors will indicate the "probable" targets composition so you could ignore relics (iron signals) and other coin type signals (zinc, copper, silver) if you really wanted to. IMHO though, you would be missing out on a lot of good recoveries and most of the enjoyment of the hobby.

As an example of value in a non-gold item check out Dr. Tones find and eventual auction:
http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/t...-found-1901-s-barber-quarter.html#post4308653

Don

Last edited:

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Metal detectors don't know gold from any other metal except ferrous (iron). Silver, aluminum, copper - looks as good as gold to a detector; usually even better unless it's a LOT of gold.

What they do measure is relative resistance and relative conductivity and generated eddy currents and compare it to everything else (dirt/sand) in the coil's field. Most detectors are programmed/tuned to favor coin sized and shaped objects (nice eddy current generators) within a foot or so of the surface. Some (gold prospecting detectors) are designed to find less conductive metals in smaller bits (little nuggets). Some are designed to find big objects deeper and may miss coin and jewelry sized stuff right underfoot.

Gold is actually a pretty mediocre conductor. Detectors "like" copper and silver MUCH better.

If you want to go swimming/diving with it look at the Fisher 1280X, Garrett AT Pro or a Detector Pro Headhunter

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread