Coin Cleaning

Creek'n

Greenie
Feb 16, 2015
Tennessee
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm new to this forum, and I'm sure you've all answered this a zillion times, but when I use the 'search' option, I'm still unable to find out how to clean old coins. Some of my finds are so crusted over that I honestly can't even tell what denomination they are or what country they're from. Any help would be great. Thanks y'all.

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use a rock tumble fill it half way with fish make sure you separate your pennies from the clad then put in about a cup of your coins and fill with water just above the coin level do not fill completely add a drop or two of dish soap seal and tumble around 2 hours check coins take out the one that looks good then if any needs more tumble then some more. One that is too nasty roll up in coin rolls and drop them off at the bank.

Last edited:

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Click "Forum" up �� there. Scroll down �� to cleaning n preservation methods.
If I were to personally advise you, your microwave may explode. ;)
Be careful. It's easy to devalue coins/relics.
Protect yourself as well.
GL
Peace ✌

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
I use a rock tumble fill it half way with fish make sure you separate your pennies from the clad then put in about a cup of your coins and fill with water just above the coin level do not fill completely add a drop or two of dish soap seal and tumble around 2 hours check coins take out the one that looks good then if any needs more tumble then some more. One that is too nasty roll up in coin rolls and drop them off at the bank.

Trout works good, bass is better

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cleaning, or I should say too much cleaning on an old coin will remove a lot of detail that only the many years in the ground could give it. Sometimes the contrast of the higher relief areas are made better visible by the patina created from the soil. Especially on coins that are near "slick" condition. I like my coins dirty:laughing7:

1shotwade

May 29, 2014
southern Indiana
Detector(s) used
white 4900/d
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
NO! NO! You're supposed to use pirana! And the soap,it's just there so your coins don't smell! Get it right y'all!

Wade

OP
OP
Creek'n

Creek'n

Greenie
Feb 16, 2015
Tennessee
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Charlie.... although if he has a giant tumbler, he could use catfish.... or some kind of bottom feeder. Maybe they eat the grime off the coins. Hmmmm, what a concept. :)
Very nice for you to try and help him. thx

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread