So many new Pin Pointers, so little time. What do you use.

bonepicker

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2012
MS, Lynchberg
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I got into this hobby a few years ago and the Garrett Pro Pointer seemed like the obvious choice.
Currently I own 2 Garrett Pro Pointers, but im looking for a new one that is waterproof and has a little more reach.
I do mostly land hunting, or beach/surf. So I don't need anything that goes past 5-10ft deep.
I was doing some research on pin-pointers, and noticed there are a lot more choices nowadays.
I see MINELAB has one now which I know nothing about.
WHITES has the new TRX which I heard gets good depth.
I also heard DETEKNIX has a good one out too
Im really interested in the new Orange Waterproof GARRETT coming out soon, was wanting to know if it has
increased sensitivity compared to the Pro-pointer.
I also read MAKRO has one that is waterproof, but don't know much about it. Heard the new Makro Racer Detector is a beast..
NOKTA also has one that is waterproof that is supposed to be similar to the Makro, but with a few innovations.

If anyone has used any of these that I have mentioned, and would like to share their experiences with them, it would be much appreciated.

Please Advise.
Thanks.

JackalopeZL1

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2014
Tennessee And California
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Deus 2, Soon to be manticore
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I own a original Garret and a Whites TRX, I have had issues with both. Currently I have sent the Garret back. It will not stay on via the button sometimes( can always hold the button down). Like it's latch does not work sometimes. But so far I prefer the performance of it over the Whites. Once the garret gets back I am going to have whites check it out. Some times it will not react to a target at all?? I can hold it directly on say a pulltab and wait a few seconds then all of a sudden it will start to react. Very inconsistent. The garrets performance is very stable and consistent in comparison. Besides the button issue the garret also falses if you put lots of pressure on the tip, But I could live with that.

The whites does have way more power in it's upper levels but I find that the higher level are too powerful. You dig a plug and you can not isolate where the target is inside the hole since it alarms everywhere in the hole. SO I turn it back down to level 2 and you can actually find the target on either side of the hole. I know lots like it super powerful but I find it pretty much a huge waste of time for plug digging.

Last edited:

voodoo

Nov 10, 2013
calgary
Detector(s) used
AT Gold, Pro pointer AT, Lesche digger, Garrett digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I was getting a new Pro Pointer it would be the Garrett AT hands down. (I have no use for the extra depth the TRX has). I have never had a problem with my Original Garrett Pro Pointer. Had The AT out twice now so far so good.....

Shunkaha

Apr 2, 2013
Helena, Montana
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705 Gold Pack, Garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
Other
So I don't need anything that goes past 5-10ft deep.

5-10 feet deep? I would go with the new Garret AT if you want water proof. From the vids I've watched I'm not sure if like how many times you have to hit the button to change things. Especially when there were so many issues with button failures on the original ones.

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Never used a pin pointer, you don't need one...waist of good money.

SS

Mike70

Jan 23, 2015
Gold Coast, Queensland
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cortez, Tesoro Stingray, C&G Wildcat, Pistol Probe Pro. Tesoro Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I use the DetectorPro Pistol Probe, PI, its not waterproof, but I wouldn't want to take it in the water anyway, It gets up to 6" on a coin. If I wanted waterproof, think I would go for the Macro.

Gold Maven

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2012
Holmes County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Never used a pin pointer, you don't need one...waist of good money.

SS

I agree. Borrowed a buddy's once, all it did was tell me yep, center of hole.

They look good on TV, but I don't really see a need for one.

Finding shot in my pheasant breast, perhaps.

CanadaGold

Feb 16, 2015
Ontario
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
TRX, great pinpointer, the tip only sensing does not bother me. Good seals
for the muck.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Vibra probe didn't get along with the SE-waterproof- Been so long since I used it I forget if hot on tip or the on the sides. (Hot = it will detect metal)
Sunray inline probe SE and Etrac excellent units-downside sheathing in cable/probe there has been issues-good detection depth, works the same as the coil giving the same sounds and discrimination. Hot just on the tip
Garrett works well except it crapped out falsing when it's pressed against the soil, #2 on order now, speaker hole fills with dirt and had to be cleaned out, switch button has to be cleaned out as well. Hot on sides
Minelab model is kind of different as it has a button to increase the sensitivity of the pinpointer so and on the turn on setting seems to work ok on something that is larger and close, smaller items it's pain to keep pushing a button to increase the output so I still ???? this model and is for a back up only. Hot on sides
LCD lights useless on all models as they get coated in mud as do the speaker holes. The design of the pin pointers seem to be geared to dryer soils where it doesn't get stuck on the device. Every model works equally well in freezing temps. where the soils are damp/wet/muddy the soils freezes to the pinpointed and then there's a build up to the point of taking the digger and scraping it off many times during a hunt.
For detecting with or without using a pinpointed I can do both, but it sure makes things easier when an item is in the sticky mud.

OP
OP
bonepicker

bonepicker

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2012
MS, Lynchberg
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I got my first detector when I was 12, it was a bounty hunter. Back then all I had was the brass probe, and hand shovel, and a knife.
I lost interest in detecting for a while, and it wasn't until a few years ago that I got back into the hobby. I still have my old brass probe, but I purchased an electronic pin-pointer and was amazed how much easier it made things, and how fast it sped up retrieval time.
Most of the areas I hunt are yards, parks etc., and the pin pointers also help me dig a smaller plug and make less of a mess.
I currently use the garrett pro pointer, I have had some issues with them, but I do like it a lot. i.e. falsing when pressing the tip against the soil, and the button crapped out on me twice. Had to send it back to Garrett twice for new button, but I will say garrett repaired it both times for free, and returned it to me promptly. So hats off to their customer service.
I also had the Sunray X-1 on my minelab for a while. I still would use my garrett most of the time, because it was so easy to reach and put back away, but I would use my Sunray if the target was just out of reach of the Garrett, the sunray had that extra reach.
Of course I ended up ditching the Sunray because it added extra weight to the detector, and the dangling wire seemed to always get in the way.
I always wanted a waterproof pin pointer, but wasn't sold on the vibra probe.
Now it seems the major high end companies are making their pinpointers waterproof, and keeping them around the same price as the non-waterproof ones.

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just bought a slightly used Makro. It seems to have good depth at full sensitivity which is adjustable. I also have a Garrett original and a Minelab. The Makro is much fatter, and they include all kinds of stuff with it. I think they could knock a lot off their price without the fancy padded travel case and a useless strap they include. I don't like the supplied belt holster. It doesn't grip the pointer up far enough or have a very good grip, seems like it will fall out going through brush. I like that the Minelab and Makro have options to turn off the sound and just signal via vibration since I don't like to attract attention to myself. I like the new Garrett idea, but do not like the orange color.

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If your time is not worth anything I would agree...

biggest time saver in metal detecting.
Time is precious, but I don't need a probe to find my signals, and by the time you have it out, put your detector down and probed about, I would have dug 4 signals.:laughing7:

SS

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
I've got a couple of Pro-Pointers and am waiting for a Carrot to come available.

I may sell off one of the Pro Pointers and get a Minelab Pro-Find.

This just recently arrived and is for my deeper underwater stuff. I'd like the Carrot for surf and rivers.

Different tools for different jobs...

Vibra Probe.jpg

JackalopeZL1

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2014
Tennessee And California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't agree with any part of what you say(2 posts above).. been doing it a long time myself. I find a few here and there saying they can find targets faster.. have yet to see even one that can.

But then the question arises? Why are you in this thread if you don't use one.. Seems to me you have only one reason to reply here.. to start a arguement.

Last edited:

TheHunterGT

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2015
Central California
Detector(s) used
Anfibio Multi - T2 Classic - F75+ - G2+....and MANY more tested and reviewed.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will have to agree with JackalopeZL1. While I am super new to this hobby and even take my own posts with a grain of salt....I cannot imagine being without our Pro Pointer.

My wife likes to dig the holes while I sweep....I watched her grab a few of her small lady-like handfuls each dig to run across the coil with nothing in the first couple handfuls. Took her a good 30-45 seconds each spot before she found the target. Nothing terrible...but I figured there has to be a faster more efficient way. Like I said...we are both super new to this.

Saw the pro-pointer in some Youtube videos and showed it to her. At first she did not even want to order it....she thought it was more fun looking for the target by hand. I just stared at her like she was crazy...and of course she is.

So I pre-ordered the PP-AT anyways, as being the husband, I know she is wrong and I am right. Called the dealer and found out mine would not ship until mid April as I was low on the list. So just canceled and got the regular black PP instead. Eastern Colorado is not a wet area I figured....so screw it. I want satisfaction now...not April.

Once it arrived she tested the pointer on our coffee table to point at the screws....she looked at me and smiled. "Ok this is pretty cool".

She finds targets right away now....matter of seconds. So for a new couple who does not have the coil swinging and pin-pointing technique down yet...it was the best 110$ we have ever spent. It saves us time which means we get more digs in. That right there is why it is not a waste of money for us. In fact, we are greatly pleased with our purchase and how it has improved our game instantly. If we ever do get a waterproof one it will be the Makro one as we already have 2X Garrett products now. Like to mix it up a bit....

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't agree with any part of what you say(2 posts above).. been doing it a long time myself. I find a few here and there saying they can find targets faster.. have yet to see even one that can.

But then the question arises? Why are you in this thread if you don't use one.. Seems to me you have only one reason to reply here.. to start a arguement.
Last time I looked it was a open site and thread, the replies were light hearted which you have turned around along with your cronies who pressed the like button. And you couldn't keep up with me in a month of sundays. All detectors (decent ones )have a pin point on them, and if you turn your coil on it side up, you can use that as a pin point.

And by the way you are the one who quoted me, not the other way round. I think it's you who are trying to stir the $hit, bit of a cheek really when you have only been on this site five minutes.

Last edited:

JackalopeZL1

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2014
Tennessee And California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok.. you won by trolling thread and acting the victim. Some asks a question about something specific.. you join in to tell the world how they are slow and not needed.. Again you are the helpless victim here. We are all idiots for picking on you.. have a good day.

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok.. you won by trolling thread and acting the victim. Some asks a question about something specific.. you join in to tell the world how they are slow and not needed.. Again you are the helpless victim here. We are all idiots for picking on you.. have a good day.
I gave a opinion that's all, which somebody else agreed with that's all. You are the one who started the attacks, if you like probes fair enough, I still think they are a waist of money...MY OPINION.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread