Accurate degree of measurement.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Should be. Some projections use 6,000 feet and some use the more accurate 6,076 feet for one minute of arc of the earth's circumference. Some use 6,080. The US Navy uses 6,000 feet to equal one nautical mile (which is supposed to = one minute of arc at the equator).

But the degrees remain 360 to make a circle no matter how it is sliced.

However - local conditions effect magnetic compasses. Plus, magnetic north is not true north. That and someone making a map with a handheld compass may be off significantly.

Last edited:
OP
OP
L.C. BAKER

L.C. BAKER

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2012
Nebraska City, Nebraska
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks for the info Charlie. I was thinking along those same lines, but I wanted to hear it from someone else. I am pretty sure we are using true measurement because of a statement in the original coded letter and the objects that were already located and their placement. The letter says "If you read each line I have written you will know it is true". This also referred to the broken lines on the stationary that were actually Morse code with the letter written in cursive on them.

Thanks, L.C. :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread