Oldest know mass produced food in America !!

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
(known)(Can't edit my title?)

The first ever breakfast cereal was Granola "1863"

Shredded Wheat, It was first made in the United States in 1893!
Cornflakes pat. Issued April 14, 1896!
Grape nuts, breakfast cereal developed in 1897!
America's favorite food has been around for a long time ! In-fact the oldest known mass produced foods in America.

Attachments

• breakfast.jpg
    breakfast.jpg
    12 KB · Views: 227
Last edited:

Slingshot

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2004
Southern Appalachia
Detector(s) used
Whites CM2 BFO, Harbor Freight 9 function, BH Pioneer 202, Fisher F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, my favorite cereals are like ancient! Maybe eating them I will find more old coins. Cheers!!

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
beer is food...good food...old food...:occasion14:

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
And not just for breakfast, anymore.

Hardtack/biscuit, rum, barrels of salt meat - all were pre-prepared and packed aboard British ships in the 17th century. I imagine our whalers and Navy had similar.

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
I proves the age old theory that granola looks like rabbit food!!! I had no idea that those cereals were that old, I was thinking 1920's or 1930's at the oldest.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been eating grape nuts and shredded wheat since I was a kid. There is discount store that sells expired or close to expired food, I buy grape nuts for $1.75 a box there.

Local Walmart had a bunch of wheat chex left over from Christmas and put them on sale for .75 a box. I bought 25 boxes...

OP
OP
MUD(S.W.A.T)

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Put the sealed bags in a sealed can. :icon_scratch: Otherwise you could get grubs and moths ! :sadsmiley: Well I know they can get into open boxes but not sure about sealed.... :dontknow:

1shotwade

May 29, 2014
southern Indiana
Detector(s) used
white 4900/d
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have seen documentaries that stated that the original breakfast cereal was "popcorn". And that is what the "Kellogg" company replaced with it's first offering.

Wade

Apr 17, 2014
Tartarus Dorsa mountains
Primary Interest:
Other
I have been eating grape nuts and shredded wheat since I was a kid. There is discount store that sells expired or close to expired food, I buy grape nuts for $1.75 a box there.

Local Walmart had a bunch of wheat chex left over from Christmas and put them on sale for .75 a box. I bought 25 boxes...

Ever eat a sidewalk? many parts are edible!!

euell-gibbons-teaching-survival-course-at-boys-camp-300x225.jpg

RIP Euell - stomach cancer.

I can best you on the purchase. Recently I was accosted by a discount bin shopping cart display as I walked into a store ... Ocean Spray Milk Chocolate covered Dried Cranberries 8 Oz for 99 cents. Dated 2 months out. Price of milk chocolate per pound? Dried cranberries per pound? All this yummy for less than 2 bucks a pound? I bought 20 for me and got on the phone and picked up an obscene quantity for others, not even sure it was legal to transport that much :D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread