jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think I got yours & added it above too .

is that the right Link ?

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
While it is possible that some folks in the New Orleans area in the 1860's may have devised a way to have indoor toliets and a way to dispose of the waste, I would imagine that this story is mostly myth! The Septic Tank was invented by a Frenchman (John Mouras) in France around the year 1860. Although their use may have begun in the 1860's in France, they did not make it to the United States until the 1880's after Mouras got a patent on his' invention. Since Cisterns have been used much, much longer to collect rain water for drinking purposes, I would theorize that it was inside of these, where the rich folks hid their' money and valuables and the many stories of treasures being found in these, backs my theory.

Frank

NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Formerly New Orleans.. Now Pueblo Co
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know about that, but there are rumors about people hiding their valuables when the city fell to the Union.... Thing is, the Union troops didn't ransack the place and I'm sure those people recovered whatever they hid. Now there are people who think Lafitte hid some of his loot around here, and it's very possible there is a cache to be found one day. There's also a story about a big stash of French gold and silver coins buried at an old fort site when it had to be abandoned. Workers digging a canal in that area in the early 1900's supposedly found some gold coins but the main stash as far as I know was never recovered.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Heck - they don't even bury the dead in New Orleans - they're in above ground crypts because any hole fills. Septic tanks would float.

In the lime pit - maybe. ;-)

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm at work right now, but when I get home, I will post an article for you regarding a little incident downtown. While digging out some old sewer pipes, when the backhoe bucket came up one time, it showered the hole with gold and silver coins (as I remember the story). At some time in the 1800s, someone buried a box full of coins.

Mike

VERDE

Bronze Member
Jun 6, 2013
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Sea Green!! Sounds like a lot of Blarney to me!! Actually most of the Gold is buried in my backyard, and you know where that is!! He He!! Anyway, GOOD LUCK and GOOD HUNTING!! VERDE!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread