TICKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

tenbears

Mar 20, 2007
Detector(s) used
BH sharpshooter II,ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rubicon said:
Kids at the beach who wanted to "help" me dig my treasures! Worse than gnats!

why say that? It's hard enough to get kids outside these days to do anything! Thank god my two love the great outdoors and if some kid wanted to help me out diggen then so be it ,awsome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ??? :P

T

TreasureTales

tenbears said:
Rubicon said:
Kids at the beach who wanted to "help" me dig my treasures! Worse than gnats!

why say that? It's hard enough to get kids outside these days to do anything! Thank god my two love the great outdoors and if some kid wanted to help me out diggen then so be it ,awsome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ??? :P

Although it's great that some kids still enjoy the outdoors, I know what Rubicon is talking about. I've had kids reaching into dug holes while I'm still digging - nearly got their fingers with my digging tool. Then I had one who saw the band of a ring sticking out of the side of a hole and he tried to grab it before I could. He wasn't going to give it to me - he intended to take it and run! Plus, they can be overwhelming when several of them start asking questions simultaneously. Although most kids are not a problem, there have been enough instances where the kids were problems that I'm glad when there aren't any around. It's not the kids' fault that they can be little jerks - I blame the parents who let them run wild without any supervision.

A child, like a dog, is only enjoyable to be around when well-behaved.

tenbears

Mar 20, 2007
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
a child like a dog.......................................! >:(

T

TreasureTales

tenbears said:

I did not say a child is like a dog. Don't misinterpret. I said they are both better to be around when well-behaved.

tenbears

Mar 20, 2007
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TreasureTales said:
tenbears said:

I did not say a child is like a dog. Don't misinterpret. I said they are both better to be around when well-behaved.

i apologize!

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
gtfd47 said:
What are some other nasties, youve come across? Just curious.

Goose

The worst thing one can possibly come upon in the woods is a DNR officer. The next worst thing would be getting hurt and not having a bud (as in buddy, not the drink) with you or even a cell phone.

Beware of those old well shafts! Oh man, I have nightmares about them!

Badger

T

TreasureTales

Michigan Badger said:
gtfd47 said:
What are some other nasties, youve come across? Just curious.

Goose

The worst thing one can possibly come upon in the woods is a DNR officer. The next worst thing would be getting hurt and not having a bud (as in buddy, not the drink) with you or even a cell phone.

Beware of those old well shafts! Oh man, I have nightmares about them!

Badger

LOL, if I got hurt I'd like to have a bud(dy) and a Bud! To ease the pain, don't ya know. Yep a DNR officer would be bad and a BLM ranger would be bad. Wells give me the willies, too. I've come across a few that were not capped properly - very scary. Also saw one up close and personal that had no cap at all, no railing around it - nothing. I wished I had a big suction rig because I'm sure there were all kinds of interesting and creepy things in the bottom of that well - not the least of which could have been a hunter who didn't watch where he was walking.

T

TreasureTales

tenbears said:
TreasureTales said:
tenbears said:

i apologize!

No apology necessary - simple misunderstanding. But keep your kids and dogs out of my digging sites. LOL - just kidding!!! ;D ;) ;D

tenbears

Mar 20, 2007
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

wildrider

Bronze Member
Feb 25, 2007
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Nautilus DMC IIb/White's 6000 Di Pro
ooooo Kay

I think we should all go back and study about commas. ::)

TreasureTales I knew exactly what you meant when I read it.

Burt

....looking at Journalism degree on wall and wishing I had decided to teach English instead.

R

redneckgirlrockhunter

My son last spring.. i think spring could have been fall cant remember.. had went out walking with my hubby and my son got turkey mites.. They lay on low foilage on the ground
and they look just like chicken pox.. it takes 3-6months for them to heal and one of them even scarred pretty good on the back side of his leg...

A friend of ours told us that when they go out horseback riding they always attach a tick and flea collar around their boots or shoes like ankle area and they never have any problems...

Another tip .... if you have a tick on you pour some liquid detergent soap on it let it set for a few minutes and almosttttt always you can swab the tick off with a q-tip or cotten ball...

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I post this every year so here goes again. Go the the drugstore and purchase an ounce bottle of Oil of Wintergreen. An ounce will last a lifetime! Dip a q-tip into the oil being sure not to get so much it drips ecause it will burn the skin. Just touch the tick with the tip of the Q-tip and wait about a minute and he will start to wiggle and then let go.Then squish him or flush him. If they let go naturlly instead of pulling them out the tend not to leave a knot where they were and there's no danger of leaving the head embedded in the skin.

My nephew became ill at work last week and nearly passed out behind the wheel on his way home. Luckily he was able to pull over onto a lot and call his Mom to come and pick him up. He was shivering and sweating all at the same time and his temp was 105. So his Mom took him to the hospital ER and they shot him full of antibiotics and did some blood work. His diagnosis was Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever! He doesn't remember getting a tick bite but he has two large dogs that sleep at the foot of his bed, so I am certain he got it from one of those dogs. He is doing ok now and just lucky to have caught it when they did. If is goes without treatment temps rise to about 107 and can cause brain damage and death. Monty

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Last month I was diagnosed with Lymes Desease.
I never get ticks on me so was really surprised to find one . I had taken a shower after working in the garden. Later I had to run outside and threw on the hoodie that I had been wearing in the garden.
The next morning my shoulder was itching and I pulled off my pajamas to find a tick embedded on the front of my shoulder. I pulled it off and then put it in a water filled cup. Sure enough it was a female and the bitten area was raised ,red and swollen. I put peroxide on it and went about my business. About an hour later I checked the bite and I had two red streaks under my armpit and across my breast. I immediately put the tick in a baggie and went into the clinic. By this time the bite had a red ring around it about the size of a nickel. They did a blood test for Lymes, but said probally nothing would show up for ten days. Ten minutes later the Doctor came in with a shocked look on his face and said " It tested positive. He couldn't believe it. I was put on ten days of meds . The next morning my hands arm and elbow was swollen. This happens alot now, but it decreases after a couple of hours. I do notice when I dig alot my fingers swell faster. Since my bite ,the clinic tests immediately for Lymes whenever they have a tick bite instead of waiting .
This past weekend I was Up North hunting . I sprayed with Deet and Deep Woods and headed into the woods.
Within a half an hour , I was crawling with ticks.
I got out to the road and literally stripped my clothes off , trying to get the ticks off me. I counted fifty two of them. They were everywhere.I don't know what happened. As I said earlier...I never get ticks on me nor do I get bit. I am wondering now ,if the Lymes attracts them.
The Doc said that from here on out ,whenever I get tested for Lymes ,I will always test positive. So that blows my getting tested every summer as had been my precaution before.
The deal with Lymnes is ,that it can come back and get you years down the road.....you can have nothing and then Wham.

I think I am going to follow Monty's advice with the Wintergreen except I am going to try and make a lotion to put on before I go out.
Did you know that Ticks can crawl up ,but not down? They were having the Annual Oxbow Tick race up North....I should have sold them for five dollars a pop .
I guess I am a Tick magnet now ::)

warsawdaddy

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2004
Edwards,Missouri
Detector(s) used
MXT - DeLeon - Gamma 6000
So much for the hard a$$ winter we had.There is a bumper crop of ticks here.Hate those things! You can sometimes survive if you stay on the gravel drive,but one step off either way,and you're covered.Why don't they have 'Frontline' for humans? Gypsy,I'm concerned for you,take plenty of caution and protection when you go out and try to have at least one of those daughters with you so you can both check each other over.

Bodyguard

Mar 11, 2007
Southeastern PA
Detector(s) used
BH Sharpshooter II
This just made the rounds at work. The absolutely safest way to remove a (whole) tick from the skin, is to cover it with liquid soap. It's supposed to get the little suckers to let go in less than a minute. Of course, this should only be needed if you didn't put on your repellent before going into the woods in the first place. Bodyguard

OP
OP
G

gtfd47

Apr 10, 2007
Northeast MA
Detector(s) used
Whites spectrum xlt
Not a magnet, Ticks have become more prevalent. Their population has exploded. I know many hunters who relate they have never seen so many...atleast where I am. The tell horror stories of taking a deer and literally scraping the ticks of their skin. Its crazy. Any ways they told me of a spray that you can get at hunting or sporting stores that you spray your woods clothes with and let dry. permathan or perimathan or something like that. Anyhow, you spray it on your clothes, not your skin and let it dry for 6 hrs, then its supposed to last for two weeks. They swear by it.

goose

lumbercamp

Jun 22, 2006
It's called REPEL permanone. I've used it for a year now, since I was hiking and took 26 ticks off my pants in a 3 hour period. A few ticks will crawl on your pants, but they eventually fall off. And yes it does last 2 weeks.

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat
OUCH, Gypsy.... I remember you saying something about lyme's before, but thought it was a thing you'd had for awhile.

I never got bit before until I started mining. Our forests are mostly Douglas fir. Down where I mine there's more hardwoods, like scrub oak. I dunno if it makes a difference, but I've been all through the doug fir forests all my life with nothing at all, then down to the hardwoods, and get them all the time. Weird.

chong2

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2006
El Paso, TX
Detector(s) used
Flippin Stick n good luck :)
NO!!!!!!!!!!! like most in here in the lucky none Ne , been lucky to never have one!!!!!!! OMG i thing that is a fear of mine, seriously. Every time i come out of creepy crawly places when i get home i go to the bathroom, strip down, jump up on the bathroom counter and say cheese in the dark places, every crevice!!! serious, no way is one of those things gonna stick itself to one of my holes for a few weeks and get fat. i remember my sis last yaer woke up to one between her eyes and has a scar since. she lives in the NE and has dogs that stay outside at day and in at night..... NOT MY BUNGHOLE........

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread