xterra 705

voodoo

Nov 10, 2013
calgary
Detector(s) used
AT Gold, Pro pointer AT, Lesche digger, Garrett digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A bit of help please. A friend of mine wants a machine for prospecting as well as for use on salt water beaches. His budget is 8-9 hundred (xterra 705 is 889 here in Canada). I've checked online, read the manual and checked other chat sites. I think I trust the opinions of those on this forum. So my question is can he use this detector on the wet sand at low tide at a saltwater beach? it comes with the 9" concetric coil and the 10" DD. Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
The T2SE is a good machine for that price. I might be bias though because that is the only one I use!

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Although the 705 has a beach mode, it's not really a good wet salt beach machine. I mean, there will be much better/deeper machines for the beach, than the 705. The 705 is a "cross-over" machine, made to be able to do both nuggets (prospecting) AND coin/jewelry. But as can be expected with any compromise-cross-over machine like that: It will excel in neither arena. If he just wants to fool around, it'll suffice. But he may peak out at only 6" depth, while the guy waltzing by with a Sov, excal, Explorer, CZ6, etc.... will be spanking him with 10" on the same targets.

Not sure about the 705's proficiency on nuggets, but it's probably the same story: Although it can be set up to find pinhead sized nuggets, yet there are other power-house specialty machines today that will do it to 2x the depth. Again, that's the draw-back of trying to get a machine that can do both venues.

creade

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
n.h.
Detector(s) used
DEUS,root slayer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Probably be a lot better off if you could get a safari at a decent price

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions