Permission to hunt

TheHunterGT

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2015
Central California
Detector(s) used
Anfibio Multi - T2 Classic - F75+ - G2+....and MANY more tested and reviewed.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hunter
You have only been detecting 4 times ?
Garrett Scorpion i think is a Gold detector do you look for gold nuggets ?
Gary

Is that an attempt to segregate me because I do not have 40 years of experience like you? Obviously it is a gold machine...I live in Colorado and that interests me.

If that is true curiosity I apologize. It seems like flippant sarcasm with no substance to the topic at hand.

I will def not be giving any further advice on asking permission. I am new here and do not want to step on vets toes. You have your ways and I have mine. I am not looking for trouble or arguments.....def not trying to change anybodies mind. Cheers to all...happy digging. :occasion14:

Last edited:

G.A.P.metal

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
"Kan-a-we-o-la" Head on a Pole N.Y. Seneca Territo
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, 11" Low Freq. , 9" X35 Coils, MI 6 Pointer...
Land or Sea Pointer
King Of Spades 40" KS-D SA and 40" KS-S-SA
L
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
no no i was just asking about the scorpion ....nothing wrong about hunting gold....nothing wrong about hunting 4 times.
I can now see this has made you feel bad and i apologize.

Gary

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is that an attempt to segregate me because I do not have 40 years of experience like you? Obviously it is a gold machine...I live in Colorado and that interests me.

If that is true curiosity I apologize. It seems like flippant sarcasm with no substance to the topic at hand.

I will def not be giving any further advice on asking permission. I am new here and do not want to step on vets toes. You have your ways and I have mine. I am not looking for trouble or arguments.....def not trying to change anybodies mind. Cheers to all...happy digging. :occasion14:

Hunter, your more than welcome to express your views here, it doesn't matter if your new or not... Feel free to do so and hit the report icon if your attacked or insulted..

The topic of asking permission is a touchy one, what is REALLY getting old is a few members who constantly jump on members who choose to ask...

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
no no i was just asking about the scorpion ....nothing wrong about hunting gold....nothing wrong about hunting 4 times.
I can now see this has made you feel bad and i apologize.

Gary
Hunter, G.A.P. is not someone who ever attacks members... You misread his intent is all...

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
huntergt, I too apologize if I came on strong. It's a bee in my bonnett issue (I admit). You bring up relevant points, and that's the point of a forum, to discuss the pro's and cons of md'ing related issues.

TheHunterGT

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2015
Central California
Detector(s) used
Anfibio Multi - T2 Classic - F75+ - G2+....and MANY more tested and reviewed.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I apologize for that then GAP. I should not be so defensive and read between lines that don't exist. :occasion14: My son got a Bounty Hunter Gold Digger for Christmas from a relative. Kids machine about $60 or so. I had so much fun with it my wife had to remind me to let him use his gift. I went on Craigslist and did a quick search and saw this Garret Scorpion for trade. Immediately hit the internet and read all day and night. Read just about every post John Edmonton has on the internet about it. Knowing it would be a tough first machine I bit the bullet and offered the guy a trade. He accepted and so far I love it as a first machine. Not complicated at all. I do a bit of sluicing and gold panning for fun with some pals so figured we could use this as well while we tell lies to each other by the river. :laughing7:

Joined here and now I'm hooked. Ready for a dedicated coin machine soon. Been eyeing the Tesoros for some reason. Anyways I babble....that is the Garrett story that lead me here to this great website.

No worries to you either Tom. People that challenge my mind with intelligent conversation are always good company. I look forward to many more conversations with you. Perhaps on a different less touchy topic! lol

Peachy

Feb 16, 2015
High Lonesome
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Visit an active site an ask to talk to the job foreman or supervisor. If they have no problem, have at it. After hours. They would be the one to complain if you didn't ask. Sidewalks and buffer srtips are always an issue.You have to maintain them, pay taxes on them, own them but they can be torn up without your permission at any time. Eminent domain and all. Bad fights over that little strip ,and the utilities or city wins out.

OP
OP
lookingharder

lookingharder

Feb 27, 2015
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites Coin Master. Garrett AT Gold, Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I see this topic has a VERY wide range of opinions. Everyone had a good point and I know there is no blanked answer to every occasion and I appreciate the input. This is a little off topic but it goes back to being a responsible metal detectors and getting access to places to hunt. I have not EVER run across someone who had hard feelings towards people who metal detect but I have never lived in a highly concentrated area with lots of people who metal detect. I'm sure there are parks or other high traffic (metal detected) sites that have to run folks off on occasion, but as far as the average land owner, most don't have a clue or have ever even seem a metal detector. It has been my experience over the years that if you knock on the door, introduce yourself, reassure the land owner that they will never know you've been there (no holes) and here is where I get permission 95% of the time, take time to enlist the land owner in your search. Ask about the history on the yard, land. most people love to tell you about themselves or there land. This cant work for everybody, but I'll offer to cut up a fallen tree or fix a fence board, little things that can be done fairly easy. Again, Thanks for all the input.

Jeremy S

Feb 27, 2012
God's Country
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 250, AT Pro, Garret Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I spent a month hunting a large sidewalk tear-out last summer. I usually went there right after work when the construction crews had gone home and would hunt until after dark. Nobody cared, a few home owners even came out to ask if I was finding anything.

I would not hesitate to get down there and detect, otherwise the place will be picked clean by the time you do get there. I do recommend that you wait until the construction workers are off work and gone. They usually don't people hanging around while they are working for safety reasons, heavy equipment and tripping hazards.

I did not take one step on private property, only up to where the sidewalk ended. It could be a good time to knock on doors and get permissions to hunt some yards while you are there.

2014-08-29 19.09.24.jpg

etex

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2013
Longview, Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have hunted sidewalk and street construction sites in half a dozen different town's and nobody has ever said anything to me other than what have you found or found any gold yet?

OP
OP
lookingharder

lookingharder

Feb 27, 2015
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites Coin Master. Garrett AT Gold, Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks guys for the sidewalk advise. I plan on keeping the ACE 350 in the truck (until it gets too hot) for those drive by sites you see and think "man I wish I had my metal detector. I'd like to search there"

Muddyhandz

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2012
In da bush
Detector(s) used
Fisher's 1266X, 1270X & 1280X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been doing construction sites for decades and have never asked the city for permission or the miserable home owners.
Whether you go when they are still working or after........wear an orange safety vest!
The 5 major construction companies all know my face by now and I recommend talking to the crew. Respect the equipment by giving it a wide birth.
The only time a white hat city inspector kicked me out was when I wasn't wearing a vest. They may even ask you to wear a hard hat in which they provided me with.
Don't wear sandals either! If you go after everyone leaves, the vest prevents nitpicking homeowners from clucking also.
You'd be surprised what a simple vest does. Even when there's no construction, homeowners think you're part of the crew looking for water pipes.
Most of all, use common sense!
Cheers,
Dave.

JOe L

Aug 24, 2007
Colonie, NY , That's around Albany
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra Pro.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Perhaps people not asking for the last 40 years and digging wherever you feel entitled to is why metal detectors enthusiasts get a bad rap in many areas.

I cannot see any scenario where asking for permission to hunt in a "unsure" area is bad advice. Your advice is to just go and do it....possible laws be damned? I am sorry but that sounds like terrible advice to me. Kinda sad that it is the mindset among many md'ers is one of self-entitlement to turn up earth anywhere they please.

My life experience has been that asking for permission has opened a TON of doors for me. Way more than it has closed. To each their own.
Understand what your saying but respectfully disagree. Asking permission, I believe, gives "town officials" a reason to figure out why you should not be MD'ing. If there are not laws against it, I say just do it. Asking some one in charge, I believe, is what start those laws against our hobby that YOU and I will not like down the road.
As for private land, absolutly ask permission from the landowner.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread