Permission to hunt

lookingharder

Feb 27, 2015
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites Coin Master. Garrett AT Gold, Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been trying to find out who to contact in a town or city to hunt where sidewalk construction is being done. I've never been much on the "better to beg forgiveness than to ask permission" mind set. Would it be the mayors office, city planner ????? I'm sure I'm not the only one who has wondered this. Thanks for any advise and previous experience.

Larwar

Jul 23, 2014
New Richmond WI
Detector(s) used
A T Pro. Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are there houses in front of these sidewalks if yes ask the people that live there if no,I would go when no one else is around, most people even city workers have no Ideah and when asked they just cover there butt and say no.

TheHunterGT

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2015
Central California
Detector(s) used
Anfibio Multi - T2 Classic - F75+ - G2+....and MANY more tested and reviewed.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would call the local police or sheriff first. Ask them what the blanket local laws are on metal-detecting and if any areas are off-limits. If they do not mention the area in question or any construction areas in general....dig away. Always remember to take names and badge numbers if possible....if in person ask for a card. 99% are happy to give you contact info in case something comes up.

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The fastest way to get a NO would be to ask anyone in your town or city offices. The sidewalk is public property, and the grassy easement between the sidewalk and street are also public domain. No different from hunting in a park or at the beach. The best move would be to hunt in front of the oldest homes, show off your mad hunting skills in front of a curious homeowner....and then..a new permission in a virgin lawn. Don't be scared, be proud.

G.A.P.metal

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
"Kan-a-we-o-la" Head on a Pole N.Y. Seneca Territo
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, 11" Low Freq. , 9" X35 Coils, MI 6 Pointer...
Land or Sea Pointer
King Of Spades 40" KS-D SA and 40" KS-S-SA
L
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I would call the local police or sheriff first. Ask them what the blanket local laws are on metal-detecting and if any areas are off-limits. If they do not mention the area in question or any construction areas in general....dig away. Always remember to take names and badge numbers if possible....if in person ask for a card. 99% are happy to give you contact info in case something comes up.

Very bad advice...if we would have called the cops to hunt 40 years ago this hobby would be forbidden long ago !
This comes up here very often calling anyone in city hall is a mistake.
Look up the city in Question and see if they have any written rules forbidding MDing...if not just go.
Gary

Rodbuster209

Oct 26, 2010
Northern California
Detector(s) used
MineLab SE, Excaliber 1000, Sovereign, White's SpectrumXLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What I do is just hunt the area. While you are trying to figure out who to ask, someone else will be detecting it. Just my humble opinion based on experience!

Roger Mn.

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2007
Rochester,Minnesota
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just go hunt it and go early to get there before they arrive for work or stay away from where they are working. Go after they leave for the day. Chances are someone has beat you to it. If it's city property and you don't need permission.

TheHunterGT

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2015
Central California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very bad advice...if we would have called the cops to hunt 40 years ago this hobby would be forbidden long ago !
This comes up here very often calling anyone in city hall is a mistake.
Look up the city in Question and see if they have any written rules forbidding MDing...if not just go.
Gary

Perhaps people not asking for the last 40 years and digging wherever you feel entitled to is why metal detectors enthusiasts get a bad rap in many areas.

I cannot see any scenario where asking for permission to hunt in a "unsure" area is bad advice. Your advice is to just go and do it....possible laws be damned? I am sorry but that sounds like terrible advice to me. Kinda sad that it is the mindset among many md'ers is one of self-entitlement to turn up earth anywhere they please.

My life experience has been that asking for permission has opened a TON of doors for me. Way more than it has closed. To each their own.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
.... I've never been much on the "better to beg forgiveness than to ask permission" mind set....

The problem with this statement, in this usage, is that it implies you are doing something wrong. Otherwise, if you're not doing something illegal or wrong, "what's there to ask forgiveness for?". And as such, I disagree with the premise that there's "something wrong" with detecting old-town sidewalk tearouts. It's healthy, educational, beneficial, wise, safe, and nutritious :) Just go after 5pm when the workers cut out for the day, and before fill-dirt is added :)

G.A.P.metal

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Land or Sea Pointer
L
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Privet land yes by all means ask permission, but public land....do you ask to play Frisbee ?,walk in the park,ride a bike in the park,let the dog poop in the park,play marbles in the park.
Your opinion is myopic .

G.A.P.metal

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Land or Sea Pointer
L
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hunterergt
You state we for 40 years dig where ever we feel entitled where do you get any of that from ?....you don`t get it ! and may never get it... we look up the rules ourselves.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Hi huntergt, I know you mean well, but .... what we're trying to tell you is, that there is the following psychology at play sometimes: The old: "no one cared ... UNTIL you asked" routine :( Because, think of it: The notion of someone standing their asking if they can do an activity, implies that there is something amiss, wrong, or risky, that you had to ask, in the first place. Otherwise, why would you be asking, if it were innocuous ? This is subconsciously picked up by the person you're asking.

Last edited:

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
....My life experience has been that asking for permission has opened a TON of doors for me. Way more than it has closed. To each their own....

By this I assume you're alluding to the "yes's" you got in the past, to be evidence of the merits of the asking . Right ? But this too always strikes me as odd. Because so too would a "no" answer also be equal proof, right ? Eg.: "Wow, it's a good thing I asked, lest I could have been arrested", right ? So either a "yes" or a "no" both reinforces the notion. Right ?

But think of it this way: Did you *really* think someone in authority would answer like this: "Gee that's a silly question. Why are you asking me? You don't need my permission". No. Of course not. They will bestow on you their princely "yes" or "no". Afterall, you asked, so it implies that their say-so is needed. Lest why else would you be standing their asking, if their say-so wasn't needed?

Hence a "yes", to me, does not reinforce that asking was necessary.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
.... Perhaps people not asking for the last 40 years and digging wherever you feel entitled to is why metal detectors enthusiasts get a bad rap in many areas.....

This reasoning has always confused me. If someone, 30 yrs. ago went detecting someone place, and someone 'got mad', then what does that imply ? It implies that this person would have told you "no", had you gone and asked beforehand. So I don't understand what's being gained, or how any additional places have been "put off limits", if ... in the case of your statement. There was something amiss or wrong ALREADY at those said-places (lest how else would the griper "have been mad", in the first place?).

On the other hand, I can give you scores of examples of places where no one ever had a problem or issue before, till people went asking for clarifications, permissions, etc....

TheHunterGT

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2015
Central California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Privet land yes by all means ask permission, but public land....do you ask to play Frisbee ?,walk in the park,ride a bike in the park,let the dog poop in the park,play marbles in the park.
Your opinion is myopic .

You act as if metal detecting does not already have a stereotype that those other activities lack. Nobody goes and plays frisbee on a civil war burial ground and ruins it for everybody else. The damage has already been done in metal detector land to the point it will never be seen as just a regular old hobby that can be enjoyed anywhere. Many can and do look at this community as destroyers and it is easy to see why at times.

Why do you think this topic ruffles so many feathers on each side? Because it's a problem. Where the blame lies is up to a smarter man than I am. Is it the old timers who do as they please that ruin it? Or perhaps the newbies who feel they need to be safer in their new hobby and ask too many questions? Who knows. It is terribly easy to nit-pick both sides to death. But it sure brings out the fireworks on this forum I have noticed.

all I know is there is rarely a spot anywhere around here where I can go without crazy looks or somebody approaching me with questions of legality....and I've only been out 4 times with my new (used) detector.

I realize I am fresh fish around here....perhaps that is why I am not so deeply stuck in my thought process about this whole permission thing. Maybe after 40 years asking will be stale for me too. Who knows?

G.A.P.metal

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Land or Sea Pointer
L
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hunter
You have only been detecting 4 times ?
Garrett Scorpion i think is a Gold detector do you look for gold nuggets ?
Gary

TheHunterGT

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2015
Central California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi huntergt, I know you mean well, but .... what we're trying to tell you is, that there is the following psychology at play sometimes: The old: "no one cared ... UNTIL you asked" routine :( Because, think of it: The notion of someone standing their asking if they can do an activity, implies that there is something amiss, wrong, or risky, that you had to ask, in the first place. Otherwise, why would you be asking, if it were innocuous ? This is subconsciously picked up by the person you're asking.

I think metal detecting is well beyond the point that it can be recovered from the stereotype it already lives in. If that makes sense. I think the damage is done to the point it is safer to ask than take risks. Other activities I would not feel that way. Metal detecting I do. It is getting close to owning a firearm the way people get worked up about it.

I 1000000% agree with the right not to ask if you are sure of the law where you are at. Even if you are unsure I agree with your right not to ask. The original poster was not sure and wanted an avenue to ask the proper people. Everybody tells him to just just go do it anyways and not to ask. Terrible advice in my eyes. He was looking out for himself and everybody tells him not too because you may ruin it for them. Selfish to boot.

You say that you look it up yourself....well there you go. You are sure of the law. He is not. He needs to look it up or contact somebody. I choose to save time and just call. It has worked for me mutliple times. I am sorry it has not worked for you guys. Cheers.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
You act as if metal detecting does not already have a stereotype that those other activities lack...

well, yes and no. I understand what you're saying. Sure, there's "connotations" (stereotypes) that a guy with a metal detector carries. Ie.: "he might leave a hole". Or "he might be about to enrich himself at the city's expense", or "harm an indian bone", blah blah. Sure, there are some that might take offense, I agree. But on the other hand, ALL of us have stories of people who come up to us (including cops, rangers, etc...) asking things like "what's the best thing you've ever found", and "where can I buy one of those?". So please don't think that everyone's waiting to hate you. On the contrary, most people ignore you, or actually show positive interest in it.

But as for those certain types who "might not like it" (in manicured turf, for instance), here's the way I think of it: It's kind of like nose-picking. Not necessarily illegal, but ..... sheesk, don't we *all* sort of use a little discretion in our timing, so as not to offend people ?

I'm not saying I like that last paragraph. I TOO wish "red carpets were rolled out for me" by every last gardener and archie. But you've got to realize that you picked a hobby where you'd be a) "digging" and "altering" things, and b) "taking" and "removing" [old] things. If the inherent nature of the hobby gives you the willies, then ....... you gotta decide if the hobby is for you or not.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread