To Crawl, Or Not To Crawl - Page 3
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree33Likes

Thread: To Crawl, Or Not To Crawl

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »

Mar 2015
    56 times
    Metal Detecting
    Thanks brad, i would gladly take the help! I have a propointer but due to the large amount of nails and bottlecaps its an endless chase. I have some box screens, i think the old farmers used them for removing straw from the grain. They look exactly like the screen you describe.
    Msbeepbeep likes this.

us
    Sod

Jan 2014
    Michigan
    Safari, Excalibur 1000
    79 times
    Metal Detecting
    Make sure you take a good respirator when you go to sifting that soil, remember it hasn't seen any moisture in the last 114 years.
    Best of Luck and be safe.

us
    Jun 2012
    MA
    M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
    23549 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    The use of a magnet may help remove some nails and bottle caps before sifting.
    Use a respirator, you never know what you I'll be stirring up in the dust.

Keep us posted!
    Limitool and Higgy like this.

Mar 2015
    56 times
    Metal Detecting
    Thanks for the warnings guys I did a little test sift this afternoon, I wear a 3M mask I have for inside bins. Its like a diy one from the hardware store. Do you think this is sufficient? I know it keeps the dust out since around my face stays clean, but this mask would not protect you from vapors.

us
    Brad - Wolfpack Proud

Jun 2013
    Middle TN. area
    White XLT Spectrum E-Series
    6310 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by Msbeepbeep View Post
    The use of a magnet may help remove some nails and bottle caps before sifting.
    Use a respirator, you never know what you I'll be stirring up in the dust.

Keep us posted!
    GREAT IDEA using the magnet. Get a STRONG one and eliminate 90% of the B.S. Depending upon what you eat the night before the respirator might be a good idea... just saying. Brad
    I am a true blue Patriot who believes in the original Constitution's meaning. I'll bleed blood to defend it and resist those who want to diminish or alter its meaning or those rights stated within the Constitution.

us
    Mar 2010
    Gardners, PA
    Tejon, F-75
    22 times
    Ok here is my two cents, one, wear a mask, getting any of that into your lungs can do unwanted damage. Second, how about a shop vac with the filter removed, only the plastic cage to contain the coinage and trash, dust will be blown out. You'll probably need a long hose.

Mar 2015
    56 times
    Metal Detecting
    Hey good idea with the shop vac, that will be very dusty by the exhaust but that just might be the ticket.

us
    Honorary Goonie

Jul 2014
    NH
    Xp Deus, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer
    1267 times
    Metal Detecting
    Hey Zrod, thanks for the fine story and pictorial. I absolutely think that you have a great place to hunt there. I also agree on the sifting. As far as a mask is concerned, my advice is to not go cheap. How much is your life worth? Any rodent turds are susceptible to Hanta virus, so keep yourself protected. Any decent organic-vapor half-face will screen out the dust and the cooties as well. And you don't have to break the bank. 3M 5301 Half-Face Respirator - Large H-3385 - Uline

I would go archeological-style on it. Start at one end of the crawlspace floor, and start trenching 6" deep. Pull out a 12"x12" section of dirt. Sift it. Recover any goodies. Backfill as necessary. Move at a slow but thorough pace. Get decent kneepads, and perhaps elbow pads if needed. Coveralls are a gear item. No fussing around with heavy gear and gadgets, and it won't kill your stamina. Bring a fan and a portable radio. Relax. Hydrate.
    Last edited by Higgy; Mar 24, 2015 at 10:21 AM.
    Zrod87 likes this.
    Only a motorcycle rider knows why a dog sticks his head out the window.

Mar 2015
    56 times
    Metal Detecting
    Thanks for the tips and the link higgy, I have been researching the best type of respirator for the job. I wear coveralls every day for work and wear an old set into this place every time. There are 3 total doors and when all open the prevalent ND wind helps to air it out. I have been working out the best way to go about the dig the most carefull way.

us
    Oct 2007
    Summit County, CO
    White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
    8761 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Pretty cool, Zrod87. I always thought if I wanted to visit Canada, I would just go to nodak. (just kidding) Buddy of mine at work is from there originally. Unfortunately he has no interest in treasure or arrowhead hunting. However, he does claim to be an accomplished accordion player, but try as I might he won't bring it to work. That would be cool. Keep after it, and good hunting!
    Zrod87 likes this.
    Just like Texas in 1880.

Mar 2015
    56 times
    Metal Detecting
    Thanks Rginn! North Dakota weather is brutal, I know many folks think that their weather is just as bad, its not. I know there are people from all over the north that will read this and say "o it gets just as cold here", your wrong. ND is home to 2 of the top 3 coldest cities in the U S. Surpassed by only anchorage AK. And its not only cold, daily temperature changes of over 60F are not uncommon, and with barely a tree in sight the wind can torrent up to 75+mph straight line, sometimes causing damage to structures. Nor are we safe from the heat, by late summer temps can easily reach 100+ with high humidity. Thanks to the abundant lowland alkali stillwater swamps or as we call them "cattail sloughs", there is no limit to the number, size, and thirst of our mosquito.

I have lived in ND my entire life. This has not prevented me from visiting nearly all of the united states by car, and spending a few weeks here and there along the way and all times of the year. We also go into canada often, I live only 45m from the border. My dad would take me way north for fishing/hunting trips into what most would consider "bush".
    I have not had one day on those travels that I experienced the rapid and extreme weather/temp changes of ND. I have sat in the car through sheets of rain in Florida so hard water comes through the seals, here too. We had to dig the pickup out of 8 ft of snow in the mountains, here too. In Wyoming the wind on the hills is so strong your car starts picking up...you guessed it, here to. In april 1997 we were stormed in the house for 5 days, staying in the basement next to the woodstove since the power was out the entire time. When the storm finally let up, the front door was covered with snow. We stepped out the second story window into a snowbank.

We have lost buildings and livestock to tornadoes, floods, and softball sized hailstones. If anyone has passed through, you may have noticed the uneven, bouncy roads. This is caused by large frost heaves, these have the abilty to raise and drop buildings, turn the soil inside out, and rupture buried water pipes. The pipes broke up the street from my house last winter, and they are buried at 9ft. They had to dig to 11 1/2 ft In order to get underneath the frost.

so if you want to see canada just go there it seems a little nicer.

As for your accordion playing friend, you should go and try to find him at a polka, look under the pile of polka groupies.

You are all welcome to come visit, I can promise you will never meet nicer people.
    Last edited by Zrod87; Mar 24, 2015 at 10:21 PM.
    Limitool likes this.

us
    Jul 2014
    New Richmond WI
    A T Pro. Equinox 600
    64 times
    Yes you should hunt it all, don't forget a mask and pepper spray

Mar 2015
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    AT Pro, Ace 350
    38 times
    I would haul several 5-gallon buckets under there and scrape all of the loose dirt into them then take them outside to sift. A respirator is a must and a good, high-velocity air mover (fan) at the entrance directed outside to pull in fresh air from the other drafts and keep the dust to a minimum. There should be some really interesting finds under there. Good luck.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Sponsored Links