To Crawl, Or Not To Crawl

OP
OP
Z

Zrod87

Mar 21, 2015
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks Rginn! North Dakota weather is brutal, I know many folks think that their weather is just as bad, its not. I know there are people from all over the north that will read this and say "o it gets just as cold here", your wrong. ND is home to 2 of the top 3 coldest cities in the U S. Surpassed by only anchorage AK. And its not only cold, daily temperature changes of over 60F are not uncommon, and with barely a tree in sight the wind can torrent up to 75+mph straight line, sometimes causing damage to structures. Nor are we safe from the heat, by late summer temps can easily reach 100+ with high humidity. Thanks to the abundant lowland alkali stillwater swamps or as we call them "cattail sloughs", there is no limit to the number, size, and thirst of our mosquito.

I have lived in ND my entire life. This has not prevented me from visiting nearly all of the united states by car, and spending a few weeks here and there along the way and all times of the year. We also go into canada often, I live only 45m from the border. My dad would take me way north for fishing/hunting trips into what most would consider "bush".
I have not had one day on those travels that I experienced the rapid and extreme weather/temp changes of ND. I have sat in the car through sheets of rain in Florida so hard water comes through the seals, here too. We had to dig the pickup out of 8 ft of snow in the mountains, here too. In Wyoming the wind on the hills is so strong your car starts picking up...you guessed it, here to. In april 1997 we were stormed in the house for 5 days, staying in the basement next to the woodstove since the power was out the entire time. When the storm finally let up, the front door was covered with snow. We stepped out the second story window into a snowbank.

We have lost buildings and livestock to tornadoes, floods, and softball sized hailstones. If anyone has passed through, you may have noticed the uneven, bouncy roads. This is caused by large frost heaves, these have the abilty to raise and drop buildings, turn the soil inside out, and rupture buried water pipes. The pipes broke up the street from my house last winter, and they are buried at 9ft. They had to dig to 11 1/2 ft In order to get underneath the frost.

so if you want to see canada just go there it seems a little nicer.

As for your accordion playing friend, you should go and try to find him at a polka, look under the pile of polka groupies.

You are all welcome to come visit, I can promise you will never meet nicer people.

Last edited:

SouthTexasHunter

Mar 8, 2015
Corpus Christi, Texas
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would haul several 5-gallon buckets under there and scrape all of the loose dirt into them then take them outside to sift. A respirator is a must and a good, high-velocity air mover (fan) at the entrance directed outside to pull in fresh air from the other drafts and keep the dust to a minimum. There should be some really interesting finds under there. Good luck.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread