To Crawl, Or Not To Crawl

Zrod87

Mar 21, 2015
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello everyone! I had a new find inspire me to share it with you all.

I live in rural North Dakota (not in the oil patch), and as far as good finds go it can be quite challenging. The area in which I live was settled mostly shortly after 1900, and therefore the hope of finding pre 1900 coins/jewelry is quite low I would estimate. On top of this is the fact that most of the people of the region were very poor and watched every dime, the type that when they butchered their pig they ate "everything from the squeal to the tail". I live in a very small town, 85 people, and every town for 50 miles is quite the same as this. Its 70 miles to a Walmart, and 125 to a sonic.

But this has never discouraged an addicted Md'er from stomping around in the snow and chopping out old beer cans looking for that "big silver" now has it!

I have pulled a few gold rings, Lbs. of clad, and a beautiful copper wristband down at a swimming spot, but there are very few swimming spots around, and that exact spot has been scheduled to be flooded with 30 feet of water and now access is strictly forbidden....

There are a few plus sides to being in the middle of nowhere, when I first started Md'ing I went to all the spots you should if you can (park,playground,school,) and sure enough I found coins! Clad coins.... to my surprise, quite a lot of them in fact, I once found $23.52 in clad in 4 hours where people sit on a slope during an annual hill climb. I quickly realized that no matter where I went, I found coins in the most obvious places to search, often dimes and quarters from the early 70's, and I believed most of the spots I hunt are/were completely virgin. I had so much fun digging all those coins I never realized that I wasn't finding silver coin...ever. I found silver rings, silver spoons, and a silver button but the coins eluded me. I had found Wheaties going back to the 20's in my good old spots. I also have hunted many abandoned farmsteads and usually only pull a few clad, maybe a wheaty and always lots of junk.

So I wondered, maybe someone had been over these places? How could people lose so much clad and not 1 silver quarter or dime? Was my technique off? I can easily tell what a target will be before I dig 80% of the time (its that 20% that keeps my bag full of mystery items!), and I have a good language with my machine. I felt I was looking in the right places, but with no luck. Heck it was easier for me to find 2 gold rings than 1 silver screamer!

I had a spot that I had tried to sweep on multiply occasions, an old dance hall. It was one of the places I had in mind when I bought my first detector. Built in 1901, it was one of the first large buildings in the area. It was a sort of fraternal lodge for the Czech people of the region. It had been the place where my parents as well as my fathers parents held their wedding receptions, along with very many parties and polka dances. It was to be demolished years ago and my uncle purchased it to save it from the match, and now I can thank him for doing so.

I have been around and around this building many times with different machines and its literally unsearchable, the amount of trash in the ground is phenomenal. There was obviously a throw it on the ground policy here, a single 6"square hole in the ground will yield 4-5 colors of broken glass, around 5 pull tabs, 3 bottle tops, 1poptop and nails and every other square hole a golden colored whisky bottle top that hits like a quarter no matter how it lays. I have around 100 gold colored whisky tops with a ship and sails on it....

Finally, while I was reading on these forums I came across someone searching UNDER the old buildings!

My heart stopped, I know what it's like in crawl spaces, we had one under the house I grew up in. I also know that while sweeping there before I smelled a skunk and had seen his entrance to the crawlspaces.
Soooo how bad do I need to find a silver? Headlamp, check, facemask, check .22 LR, check.

I decided to go scope it out before I came bumbling in with my headphones on looking for a spray to the face, and found a small door on the side of the building. I opened the door which entered under the stage, which was quite a relief as I wasn't so sure I wanted to be on my belly right off the get go and this provided a "hunching" space to move around in and look for Mr. Skunk. Once I decided Mr. skunk must be under one of the side buildings, I knew he would avoid me and my noisemaking as long as I stayed under the main hall.(does anyone know what that vertical box in the 3rd pic is? I was thinking for lowering the podium but don't see any way it worked?)

There was some junk laying around, lots of old bottles and cans.
I moved a little bit so I could detect around the most open part, I thought about making a video of all this but thought "eh, I doubt ill get anything but sick from this place.", now I wish I had gone through with it. I got my detector and wiped off a bunch of cobwebs thinking about how over the top I go sometimes but whatever the ground outside is still frozen.

I used my 5x8 coil and zero mode, I started in my standard 7\8 sensitivity which was a mistake. I moved very slowly over the ground, it was a very fine dust covering a compact dirt floor. "Good" I thought, "it hasn't been messed with in years.". Two steps in the ground is full of sounds, tons of iron hits and mids, so I sweep my retriever II's magnet and it picks up a couple of rusty bottle caps - bummer - I scrape the dirt a little and listen again. This time there's a mind-numbing copper tone and I could see lots of broken light bulb bottoms that read like that outside in hear as well and figured I found yet another place they dumped glass and tabs.

I gave the ground a good whack and right under the dust was a 1911 wheaty, which I scratched a little thanks to my overaggressive digging technique. Hey good sign I said, too bad I had to scratch it trying to dig to china... I better turn down my sensitivity, everything is on top.

1 more step, 1 more wheaty, then another. Then I hear a beautiful sound between two irons, its like my machine came alive!
And there, just 1/8 of 1 inch under the surface were these beauties! 2 - 1935 D Mercury Dimes both in very good condition

IMG_0534.JPG

Now I know its not exactly the stuff of legends, but I feel I have found something that would almost certainly have been lost forever, and in my perspective, quite the find.

My other finds of interest are a lodge button, and a 1929 Canadian one cent.

p.s. if anyone is still reading this should I go crawl under the rest of this place or what?

I failed at fixing the pictures ill have to try again.

Attachments

• IMG_0483 - Copy.JPG
    IMG_0483 - Copy.JPG
    909.6 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_0529.JPG
    IMG_0529.JPG
    785.5 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
heck yes !!!

OP
OP
Z

Zrod87

Mar 21, 2015
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
sorry about the sideways pictures I assume I must rotate and resave them.
IMG_0542.JPG

frostdigger

Jan 1, 2013
Col. Falls, Montana
Detector(s) used
Garrett 1350, Garrett AT pro, Garrett AT gold, Garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the Merc's. I would crawl over every inch. I have never tried it but have read of a few guys using sifters in simaliar situations, just a thought. That's looks like a pretty sweet 22.

OP
OP
Z

Zrod87

Mar 21, 2015
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks! here we only shoot Ruger 10/22's, its legal to shoot raccoons and skunks at night and I have all the proper license for all who oppose.

The sifter came to mind right away, it looks as if the had been sweeping the dancefloor into this space for decades.

I have no friends who md and no clubs to join, it looks like it will be difficult to sift it all alone.

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Heck yea.... cover it all and "clean" it out... post what ya find buddy. Can't be worse than my cave exploring out back. Have fun!!!!

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A pin pointer would serve you well if you are under the building..
and as for the box thing in the 3rd pic, could it be a trap door, like for performances on the stage?

OP
OP
Z

Zrod87

Mar 21, 2015
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey guys thanks for the encouragement! bigwavedave, i also had thought it could be for performances- maybe even a trapdoor type for a disappearing act! There is no evidence of an opening on the stage, i assume it has had a nee layer of flooring over it.

Also, do coins really end up all over under there? The dancefloor is tightly placed hardwood, but i doubt it was the original floor.

OP
OP
Z

Zrod87

Mar 21, 2015
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey guys thanks for the encouragement! bigwavedave, i also had thought it could be for performances- maybe even a trapdoor type for a disappearing act! There is no evidence of an opening on the stage, i assume it has had a nee layer of flooring over it.

Also, do coins really end up all over under there? The dancefloor is tightly placed hardwood, but i doubt it was the original floor.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's un-detected soil! Oh heck ya search it!
Nice Mercs congrats!

If you have plenty of time sift it, your not in a hurry and you never know what you 'll come up with.
Who knows what went on under the building years ago. Maybe people hiding, a little drinking or card games?

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice finds and congrats! As far as the vertical wooden box is concerned, I believe that it is a concrete support for the floor or building and the casing (framing) was left on. If you bang on it with a hammer and it sounds solid, then that is probably what it is.

Frank

OP
OP
Z

Zrod87

Mar 21, 2015
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks huntsman, The box is hollow, it comes within a foot from the ground but does not touch. There is nothing inside, it is poorly supported and is made of thin boards, as if to conceal something. The inside is empty except for a few racoon turds, and the bottom shares the same thin wood that I doubt would ever have held a humans weight. My theory is that the podium may have had a pully system above that would have lowered it into this space, but because of the lack of support I dont see how it would have remained suspended after lowering.

OP
OP
Z

Zrod87

Mar 21, 2015
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Msbeepbeep, I have always had to laugh when I read that name, sometimes I catch myself making detector noises!
This place is a great find, although i prefer to detect outside its always fun to actually find things! They used to store the booze in here and come throigh these little doors to get both the whisky and the water, as it has never had running water. image.jpg

OP
OP
Z

Zrod87

Mar 21, 2015
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Can anyone tell me how to rotate my pictures?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    544.2 KB · Views: 81
OP
OP
Z

Zrod87

Mar 21, 2015
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thank you so much coinman for uprighting my pics!

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Excellent story and pictures! Get back there and dig up everything you can!
Thanks for sharing!

whammy

Oct 23, 2012
Conquest New York
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision, DFX, Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would be under that place in a heartbeat. Some old bottles and cans are of value to collectors. Take your time and go over and over it. No telling what is waiting for you to find under there. Good luck and happy hunting.

CladMoonRising

Jan 29, 2015
San Jose, CA
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great story . . . the stuff of legends! Often the research and hunt is far more priceless than the stuff we find.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Msbeepbeep, I have always had to laugh when I read that name, sometimes I catch myself making detector noises!
This place is a great find, although i prefer to detect outside its always fun to actually find things! They used to store the booze in here and come throigh these little doors to get both the whisky and the water, as it has never had running water. View attachment 1134784

That's exactly what the name represents the solid sweet double beep of a good signal! If it makes ya smile all the better! I was going to put MA instead of Ms, but just how many TNet'ers would be calling me "ma"! :laughing7:
Neat place to search under there, never know just what you will find! First silver coins is a nice start to the search!

I have turn my I Pad sideways to take pics if I don't they post sideways on here.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread