old lumbermill

K-Man

Apr 12, 2007
marinette, wi
well i did some research on marinette county and found out there use to b a old lumber mill that was operated back in 1867 - 1897 well i found out where it was at and took a ride out there to do some md'ing well i had a good feeling i would find something but no lucky either im not doin something right or my detect wont pick up andything or maybe there isnt anything there but i have a good feeling there is something there. the posts for the dock back in 1867 - 1897 r still there and standing maybe someone can tell me wut i should do and would this be a good spot to md?

BioProfessor

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2007
Mankato, MN
Detector(s) used
Minelab e-Trac, White E-Series DFX
You say the posts are still there for the old dock so I assume that the lumber was shipped out by boat/barge. Is there anything left to indicate where the mill stood? Any old foundations, pillars, etc. I would assume the structure would have left behind lots of nails and other metal objects. Just because you have found the dock doesn't mean you have found the mill. Try carefully inspecting the area to see if you can find evidence of the mill itself. It could have been quite a ways from the dock. Once you find the mill, you can then start to try and determine where the "Office" might have been. That would be where people would come to do business. It would likely be at the opposite end of the building from the direction to the dock.

Keep looking. You'll find it if there has not been any construction that would have covered the original mill site.

Daryl

OP
OP
K-Man

K-Man

Apr 12, 2007
marinette, wi
well besides the posts there is a monument that says this is here the lumbermill stood and was operated from 1867-1897

T

TreasureTales

Hmmm, I'd tie a heavy-duty magnet to a rope and toss it into the water at the dock pilings. Maybe you'll get something interesting - it's like fishing, only with a magnet.

As far as the mill site goes, you might try eyeballing for signs of rusted metal or foundations or concrete laydown areas - if it was a large site, there should be some remnants still visible. You might also want to turn down the discrimination on your detector so you can find some iron relics. Pick one likely 10'x10' area and detect it completely - dig up every target just to see what types of things are there. After you have completely cleared that 10x10 area, and based on what you find, you should have an idea if you are too far from the office, cafeteria, or bunkhouse or if you are close to them. There usually are seldom any easy answers when the buildings are removed and there are few foundations remaining. Sometimes you just have to try and try again.

Some of the old sawmills here in California had bunkhouses, cafeterias, business office, laydown yard, sawmill, sawdust burner, log pond, machine shop, and livery for the oxen and mules. Your lumber millsite may have had similar structures.

Please post pix if you find something (doesn't matter to us what it is) and good luck to you.

thompy

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2005
Menominee, Michigan
Detector(s) used
T-2,
Kman there were quite a few sawmills here, at one time more lumber came out of here than anywhere in the states, part of Menekaunee was formed from all the sawdust in the river, a hobo village sprang up on the new land, then a saw mill try-ed to take the property by force. there was a armed stand off, don't remember the rest of the story. there were saw mills on the Peshtigo, don't froget the Peshtigo fire, the same day as the great Chicago fire, only many more people died in the Peshtigo fire, also another mill on the cedar river

OP
OP
K-Man

K-Man

Apr 12, 2007
marinette, wi
well steve the lumber mill i found is in peshtigo way at the end of harbor road like about a 10- 15 minute ride maybe. i know about the peshtigo fire but everywhere u can look is private property or there r buildings standing there except badger park. now with menekaunee i lived down there for 16 yrs i used to live right on ogden steet right across from bird street well now i live on mary street. and then i know where a house foundation is but i think its private property right on cleveland ave then there is another foundation by red arrow but not to sure. otherwise how would i do some research to find places around this area.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread