What about hunting IN the water of a beach?

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
Yes, They are scared of getting wet:laughing7:

If your metal detector is waterproof (and most are unless the control panel itself is underwater) I recommend to try it. More people would lose jewelry in the water due to a ring slipping off someone's finger when swimming and it being way harder to find it underwater without a metal detector. I'm guessing it would be harder to notice a ring falling off in the water too but I'm not sure.

Most people would have I hard time actually retrieving jewelry in four feet of water and it will be harder to see it in the sand than in the water.

What do you have to lose, I recommend trying it.

Rodbuster209

Oct 26, 2010
Northern California
Detector(s) used
MineLab SE, Excaliber 1000, Sovereign, White's SpectrumXLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't worry, just because you don't see them almost all swimming beaches have regular water hunters! Go to the beach and shallow water forum at this site to read more about it. You should try it out, it is great! Good Luck!

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2

What about hunting IN the water on a beach? I mean - let's say - the area next to the beach going to a deep of 4 to 5 feet?

Any experience? If I see beach hunters, I just see them seeking the sand and not in the water. Is there a reason for?

Depends on the beach. If it's a cove-type bay beach (with "bathtub" like conditions), then that may be worthwhile. But for regular open ocean-facing beaches, ...... you will be battered around by surges and waves. And the amount of time and energy it takes to snorkel or wade, and try to "stay on a target" to retrieve, etc.... you will find that your time/energy is perhaps better spent up on the regular beach. Or just wait for a super minus tide, and simply WALK out to those same exact zones.

Also, even though you may see swimmers out there, don't think that that automatically equates to "virgin zones filled with targets". Because you gotta remember that the under-water sand is JUST as susceptible to sand movement, as it is on the inter-tidal wet zone sand above. In other words: In the same way that the sand can be soft and sterile on the wet beach (because sand was "coming in"), SO TOO can it be sterile and target-less out there as well. There are underwater "dunes", every bit as much as there is above water. And unlike above water, where you can easily see and walk to "low spots", you don't have any such ability in trying to do that in 4 to 5 ft. of water. You're totally blind to such terrain clues.

The only exception I can think of, is something like enclosed bays, where scores of people swim, and since it's a "cove", the sand is relatively stationary, un-moving. Like some of the Hawaiian beach coves and bay-inlets, for instance. But for the regular open facing beaches of the Pacific or Atlantic coasts of the USA, it's simply not worth the time, IMHO

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you can, get in the waster, I have found more jewelry in the water and wet sand than I ever found up higher on the beach.

Your in Key West, no reason not to be in the water, you learn how to work the water, work the sand bar areas at low tide, work the trough close to shore.... Unless surf is rough working in water isn't that hard, just takes practice......

OP
OP
oddapp

oddapp

Mar 20, 2015
Key West, Florida
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The problem is I don't have a detector for it. I think about buying one since two years. And as you can see, I'm located at the Florida Keys. I have heard about people finding really rare old coins from ship wracks. But these guys go out with a boat. Plus they have knowledge where to go and I guess they don't want to share their secrets with me, sadly! :laughing7:

But I don't go for the old treasure. Lots of people come to the Keys. Now we have spring break and the crowds are coming down. And they bring gold and silver to leaf in our waters here!

But I agree to:

Depends on the beach. If it's a cove-type bay beach (with "bathtub" like conditions), then that may be worthwhile. But for regular open ocean-facing beaches, ...... you will be battered around by surges and waves. And the amount of time and energy it takes to snorkel or wade, and try to "stay on a target" to retrieve, etc.... you will find that your time/energy is perhaps better spent up on the regular beach. Or just wait for a super minus tide, and simply WALK out to those same exact zones.

That's the problem.

Is there a special detector to recommend, guys?

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
..... Is there a special detector to recommend, guys?

The "special detector" to recommend, is to wait for the right storm ingredients (swells, on-shore winds, & tides) to coincide to erode the beach. When mother nature turns the beach into a "giant sluice box riffle board", with coins/targets as fast as you can dig, you'll forever be spoiled to avoid hard-work again, doh!

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The problem is I don't have a detector for it. I think about buying one since two years. And as you can see, I'm located at the Florida Keys. I have heard about people finding really rare old coins from ship wracks. But these guys go out with a boat. Plus they have knowledge where to go and I guess they don't want to share their secrets with me, sadly! :laughing7:

But I don't go for the old treasure. Lots of people come to the Keys. Now we have spring break and the crowds are coming down. And they bring gold and silver to leaf in our waters here!

But I agree to:

That's the problem.

Is there a special detector to recommend, guys?
Minelab Excalibur, Whites Beach Hunter ID, Fisher CZ21, Tesoro Sand Shark, there are many you can use, and you do not need to wait for a storm, we hunt in water all the time here in Florida, tourists and locals lose gold and silver jewelry in our beach waters every day....

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
..., tourists and locals lose gold and silver jewelry in our beach waters every day....

Sure. For modern losses lost as recently as yesterday. But . if someone wants a) old coins in the mix, and b) jewelry from more than just current losses, but rather: years-of-accumulated losses grouped, then ..... it's hard to beat hunting after storm erosion.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sure. For modern losses lost as recently as yesterday. But . if someone wants a) old coins in the mix, and b) jewelry from more than just current losses, but rather: years-of-accumulated losses grouped, then ..... it's hard to beat hunting after storm erosion.
Why would you pass up new gold waiting years for chance of old gold? last time I counted I had about $12k in new gold if I wanted to cash in.

I am well aware of storm erosion, I have hunted it, but it is pretty rare compared to new gold finds found every day..

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
It's not so much "old versus new" gold. It quantities of accumulation.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's not so much "old versus new" gold. It quantities of accumulation.
As I said I'm aware of erosion, you were telling member to wait for a storm, we are lucky to get one storm every 5 years that opens up the "treasure chest" in the water down here at all lately, we have had one storm about 3 years ago that opened up the east coast beaches from Ft Lauderdale south, it has been almost 8 years since the last storm opened up the east coast central Florida beaches and 2004 since last hurricane really opened beaches up. We have had no nor-easterns in years to do any good...

OP
OP
oddapp

oddapp

Mar 20, 2015
Key West, Florida
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As I said I'm aware of erosion, you were telling member to wait for a storm, we are lucky to get one storm every 5 years that opens up the "treasure chest" in the water down here at all lately, we have had one storm about 3 years ago that opened up the east coast beaches from Ft Lauderdale south, it has been almost 8 years since the last storm opened up the east coast central Florida beaches and 2004 since last hurricane really opened beaches up. We have had no nor-easterns in years to do any good...

So you mean that a hurricane like Andrew brought the treasure close to the beach? Is it really like that?

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So you mean that a hurricane like Andrew brought the treasure close to the beach? Is it really like that?

Hurricanes cause underwater wrecks and sand to shift and move treasures ashore. After hurricanes of 2004 a lot of Spanish reales were washed ashore along the Treasure Coast of Florida They also strip sand off the beaches revealing gold jewelry lost over the years that was covered with so much sand a metal detector could not see it.

After a subtropical storm that hit central Florida it stripped 3 feet of sand off daytona beach in one day, there were silver coins everywhere, I know for a fact over 100 gold rings came out of a small rip tide hole no more than 20 ft wide, maybe 50 ft long just in one day, many of the school rings were dated in the early 1900s...

Last edited:

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There's not a whole lot of beach to erode in the Keys. I would be in the water with a Sand Shark daily!

OP
OP
oddapp

oddapp

Mar 20, 2015
Key West, Florida
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There's not a whole lot of beach to erode in the Keys. I would be in the water with a Sand Shark daily!

The Keys are a great place with a lot of treasure awaiting to discover.

We have The St. Augustine Pirate & Treasure Museum showing treasure from the last centuries. There are lots of families (fisherman, guides...) owning treasure found over the last decades too.

It's very exciting here but probably I need to buy a small boat to go out like many other treasure hunters.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I haven't been since 1987 when I went lobster diving out of Marathon. I would love to detect there someday.

Last edited:

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Treasure_Hunter are there any restrictions for water hunting in the Keys, with the treasure salvage licensed people & companies?

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Treasure_Hunter are there any restrictions for water hunting in the Keys, with the treasure salvage licensed people & companies?
I'm not real familiar with leases in Key West, by I don't think any of them touch shore there like they do on Treasure Coast, if I remember correctly they are 10-12 miles off shore..

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions