buying my first metal detector

Mar 23, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Everyone,
I'm new here and a pre-nuby metal detector guy. I live in the good ole USofA and am heading to the Philippines next month. We own a house there and will be spending a month there. I want to take a metal detector with me in my luggage; don't want to spend a fortune on it as it's my first time out of the chute. So what I'm asking for here are some ideas of what to buy, how big it will be (so it will fit in my suitcase) and just some general purchase information. There is an old WWII Japanese encampment very close to where our house is, and I'd love to do a little 'prospecting' around it as well as around our house. Any thoughts?
Thanks, Filipinebernie

MrMikeJackie

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2013
Long Island
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030,
Xp Deus,
That's it, I'm done.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Minelab GoFind 20/40 (highly packable), Garret Ace 150/250, Whites Coinmaster/Pro, Fisher F2/F3, Teknetics Alpha/Eurotek, Tesoro Compadre, Detectorpro Pirate(highly packable. All these series of detectors will set you on the right path. GL HH Mike

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A month isn't long to order, receive and practice a bit with a detector so you're better off with something relatively "pre-set" and simple.

The Minelab GoPro 40 looks like a great choice, especially for packing & travel, but you probably won't get one anytime soon. They are on "pre-order" as they have just been introduced and it would be a shame to show up two days after you'd gone.

The Fisher F2 or the Teknetics EuroTek Pro would be my recommendation.

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Teknetics Eurotek Pro would be my choice! Easy to learn and use and breaks down very small for carrying in luggage.

JackalopeZL1

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2014
Tennessee And California
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Deus 2, Soon to be manticore
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am not of the mindset to start with the cheapest machine. Buy a machine that you can afford. Most machines that are a little more money have awesome starter programs. And if you are hunting beach areas in asia at minimum have something that you can ground balance.

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I've owned the AT Pro and for target ID'ing and ease of use I'd still recommend the EurotekPro. It works great on the beach and in wet saltwater sand w/o falsing!
Also has an auto ground balance!

Last edited:

DCMetal

Jun 3, 2014
Washington, DC
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A month isn't long to order, receive and practice a bit with a detector so you're better off with something relatively "pre-set" and simple.

The Minelab GoPro 40 looks like a great choice, especially for packing & travel, but you probably won't get one anytime soon. They are on "pre-order" as they have just been introduced and it would be a shame to show up two days after you'd gone.

The Fisher F2 or the Teknetics EuroTek Pro would be my recommendation.

Hey Charlie P,

I'm also looking for a new machine. I started out with a Bounty Hunter Tracker and then bought a Bounty Hunter Time Ranger 4, which is now broken. I found that the Time Ranger was difficult to use in highly mineralized soil. I'm sure its based more on user failure but I just couldn't master it-- it seemed too confusing. Based on that, which models are easy-to-use but go deep, etc? Or am I asking for too much? I don't want to spend more than $1,000 but I'm willing to consider.

Would love to get your seasoned advice. Cheers! ; )

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions