concentrate assay

AuStalker

Mar 24, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all brand new newbie here. I just had a couple questions. After searching for a colapsed mine shaft for weeks I finally found it. I was able to dig down and in about 4 feet and was able to get into the old mine. I am estimating that I went back in somwhere around 200ft. Anyhow when I got to the end of the shaft I noticed a small flake of gold? In a white quartz, I am assuming, vein. Then another and another. I am fairly new to the gold mining but have read a lot and gotten some experience under my belt now. Anyway. I noticed quite a bit of this and scraped a handfull of this vein off into my hand and took it back out to pan it. To my suprise it is gold....I think. Ive been fooled by pyrite and mica as well, but heres how it went. I panned down this material and had a good amount of flour gold left. I had a hard time believing that the old timers would have left something so obvious and accesible just sitting there for the taking. This is why I am skeptical. But.... i threw a shovel full of dirt into my pan with the "gold" and panned it again and got the same result. It stays in the pan. It doesnt float out like I have read mica does and it isnt magnetic like pyrite. I cant really do a scratch tedt or the ceramic test because its flour gold. Some of it is still atached and in the white quartz. When I crush this it stays in the pan as well. I just cant imagine thos was just left and I am falling for the fools gold. Is there any other minerals or metals that will stay in the pan like that AND look like flour gold? This vein is very noticable about a foot in length and several more like it right where the tunnel stops. So any advice guys? Why would they have left it if it is in fact gold? Was the guy blind? Or more likely im the fool. I know the old ters new their stuff. It cannot possibly be this easy lol. Also do any of you know a good place to send samples or where to go to have tested? If so how much material do they ask you send? A million questions from the newbie. Thanks in advance guys.

Bob207

Jul 4, 2014
Maine
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600/AT Pro
Garrett AT Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any pics? Any pieces big enough to poke with a needle? Tiny mica and pyrite pieces will shatter with pressure from a needle while gold will not.
What makes you think the mine was abandoned and collapsed? Maybe the mine was just discovered and then concealed to hide and the old timer expired before making it back and took his secret to the grave.
MOST IMPORTANTLY......if you found a gold mine and its not on someones claim or private property.....KEEP YOUR MOUTH SHUT!!!!Gold makes some folks do funny things!
Here is some assayers...call some and ask how much to send and cost. A list of assayers for gold, silver, and other precious metals, who conduct fire assays, geochemical analysis, spectrographic analysis, ICP, PGM platinum group testing, aqua regia testing, in the United States, Canada, North America, California, Alas If youre a GPAA member you get free assay.
Best of luck to you and hope you hit the motherload!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread