Padre Island Post Spring Break

SouthTexasHunter

Mar 8, 2015
Corpus Christi, Texas
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, I did a solid 12-hour methodical hunt yesterday near Port Aransas. I marked off lanes about 6 feet wide and 100 feet long side by side. I would estimate that I covered every square inch of an area a total of the size of 2 entire football fields minimum. I was in the heart of where the biggest crowd of thousands of spring breakers had been for the last 2 weeks.
Result? I guess the kids are only dropping tons of litter these days because all I found was about $6 in clad, a bent up cheap earring, and a cheap kitchen knife. Sunburned to a crisp and very sore today. But hey, it was a very nice day weather wise.
I did talk to several other detectorists and they all claimed the same type of results I bagged. I have 2 more days off work but I think I'll be skipping on the beach and try a couple of inland spots. Good luck to all.

Coinhawk

Feb 11, 2015
Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Spending time on the beach near Port Aransas sounds like a great hunt even if you didn't find much. I was tempted to drive down to Galveston or one of the other nearby beaches after Spring Break, but the plan dematerialized.

OP
OP
S

SouthTexasHunter

Mar 8, 2015
Corpus Christi, Texas
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't get me wrong. I enjoyed the day and meeting a few other MDers. It was just that the hunting was a little disappointing. Could be that my expectations were a little too lofty? Probably, because when I left the spring breaker's ground zero and went to a more family friendly part of the beach and found very little there too, I was quite content.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was out last weekend and noticed spring breakers don't seem to be wearing as much jewelry as they use too, maybe gold got to high....

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think they've caught on to us! A lot of people that walk up and ask "finding anything good?" have mentioned things like "yea I see those things everywhere when I'm at the beach nowadays". This probably has made people more mindful of not wearing jewelry to the beach as much as they used to.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, I did a solid 12-hour methodical hunt yesterday near Port Aransas. I marked off lanes about 6 feet wide and 100 feet long side by side. I would estimate that I covered every square inch of an area a total of the size of 2 entire football fields minimum. I was in the heart of where the biggest crowd of thousands of spring breakers had been for the last 2 weeks.
Result? I guess the kids are only dropping tons of litter these days because all I found was about $6 in clad, a bent up cheap earring, and a cheap kitchen knife. Sunburned to a crisp and very sore today. But hey, it was a very nice day weather wise.
I did talk to several other detectorists and they all claimed the same type of results I bagged. I have 2 more days off work but I think I'll be skipping on the beach and try a couple of inland spots. Good luck to all.

This sounds like my last 3 beach trips! It makes for a long day getting up at 4-5am, driving 2 hours one way and coming home with a pocket full of junk and a sore back.

BLK

Mar 5, 2015
Northern New York State
Detector(s) used
Harbour freight cheapo. Trying and expermenting to see if I like it and then want to go Garrett or Fisher.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
E
At seventy one I just drive slooooooowly down the beach during spring break not after. The visual accompanyments are well worth a new metal detector. What to heck you is dead a long long time.
I just want to live a little longer to enjoy more "treasure" hunts like this one. I would send pictures of my find but Playboy magazine has made me an offer. He he.

Metal Detecting Stuff

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Mar 19, 2012
Spring TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030/F75LTD/ Garrett AtPro/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Weather didn't cooperate this year, but the beach bank depositors will continue to replenish the finds. The Texas beaches are always hit or miss. finds HAVE been a little slow this year.

Wayne

www.metaldetectingstuff.com

bsloan

Jul 3, 2010
The heart of Aggieland
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
It's not just on the coast. I went to a couple of lakes during the break, and there were no crowds. Marina owners and park workers were wondering where all the people were.

Bill

Higgy

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2014
NH
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's not just on the coast. I went to a couple of lakes during the break, and there were no crowds. Marina owners and park workers were wondering where all the people were.

That's easy. They're all playing x-box.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions