Ebay, what a joke!

Kevin in IN

Feb 21, 2011
N.Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov.GT , Explorer SE Pro , Excalibur 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been in the market for machine to use at compition hunts, and found one on ebay. After a few bids, I saw on questions to the seller, another bidder was complaining to the seller that he shouldn't be letting me bid because I didn't have a bid history. Next thing I know, my bids are blocked. WTH! Is this how these poindexters get a bargin on ebay, by blocking out the compition. I let the seller know my thoughts on this. What a joke. I think I can find somewhere that my money is good. Has anyone else went through this BS?

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have blocked bidders for having bad feedback, but not for a low feedback score. Some people just don't buy that often and you have to take that into account. You are better of not giving that seller your hard earned money anyway, plenty of other offers out there from more genuine people.

SS

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Plenty of good machines on here from dealers and members.

OP
OP
Kevin in IN

Kevin in IN

Feb 21, 2011
N.Indiana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have blocked bidders for having bad feedback, but not for a low feedback score. Some people just don't buy that often and you have to take that into account. You are better of not giving that seller your hard earned money anyway, plenty of other offers out there from more genuine people.

SS
I've been going to estate sales for over 40 years now, and never had an auctioneer tell me he did'nt want my money. The machine ended up going for more than I was going to pay, but I just get upset when other people waste my time. Like these other guys said, there's plenty of good folks on here with machines to sell.

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I really havent seen that many great deals on ebay here lately.....but im not going to buy used just to save 10-15% off a brand new machine.

OP
OP
Kevin in IN

Kevin in IN

Feb 21, 2011
N.Indiana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I really havent seen that many great deals on ebay here lately.....but im not going to buy used just to save 10-15% off a brand new machine.
I agree, but I don't think the machine I'm looking is sold new anymore.

Metal Detecting Stuff

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Mar 19, 2012
Spring TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030/F75LTD/ Garrett AtPro/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
While I don't block bidders with no feedback, I get several Buy It Now's each month for bidders like this who don't pay. It takes time to cancel the transactions, and impacts the seller status until things get resolved.

Wayne

www.metaldetectingstuff.com

skeeter86

Oct 22, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have try to bid on ebay and found there is some kind of program that will raise the bid every time you bid like you said a lot of bs going on!

Gold Maven

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2012
Holmes County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I Quit Ebay cold turkey. Purchased over 2,000 items, and suddenly they needed my bank account numbers to "verify" who I am.

10 years, paid my bill every month, perfect record and ratings, not enough.....we NEED your bank account number.

BS, BS, BS.

Hello Amazon.

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Watch craigslist. I got my ATP for three hundred and a used three times Excal for seven hundred on that site. I use a site called Adhuntr which allows you to search all of craigslist for specific items so I can find items out of my local area.

Nickleanddime

Jul 21, 2013
a, ohio
Detector(s) used
A $10 garage sale find.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just this week started blocking zero feedback history buyers. I had to so many items that they buy and never pay, not even a response. So that tells me that those are people that are either selling a similar item under a different name or person trying to get the money and figure it a "lay away" program. Not say all are but in 3 years never had a 0 feedback buyer pay.

As far as the auto bid skeeter that why I do not buy auctions on eBay. And why I don't run auctions. I use to try and bid but people always put what your willing to pay then when another buyer bids it runs them up to much then their out. So the buyer is losing money on that item now. If eBay would make it where your high auto bid was the price you paid wouldn't be so bad. And before you guys start yelling.

Can you go to a live auction and yell , I bid 40 but not unless it gets there! Nope that's your bid.
That's exactly what that auto bid is.

Last edited:

trdhrdr007

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2009
If I'm at a live auction & my max bid is $40 I will bid up to that amount & drop out if/when another bidder goes over. On eBay I put my max bid in & when another bidder goes past it I'm out. I fail to see the difference.

vwayne1

Jan 14, 2005
Eugene Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac
And yes nickleand dime, that senario is possible at a live auction. Most auction houses, if not all, except set bids from people that can't or don't want to attend. An attendant at the sale keeps this persons interest valid until the bid goes over his Max bid. It's called proxy bidding at the auction house and on ebay. Same thing. It's as old as time.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread