Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
clean the crud off it, run it through the banks coin counter, enjoy the $$$

Clad is clad, there is nothing special about it unless you have mint-error coin.

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Coinstar takes a +10% cut of the coins. If you tumble the coins until clean, you MIGHT be able to run them through our bank's counter for free.

GL&HH!

TwoYewts

Oct 29, 2013
NorthEast
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Fisher CZ-21, Makro Racer Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Like others have said. Tumble them clean (I got my tumbler from Harbor Freight for @ $40) and I dump mine at the local TD Bank. Have never had an issue in the 2 years I've been doing it. I have used my findings to restock batteries, bought a 5" sniper coil with some of last years clad, and now just adding it to a slush fund for my next md expenditure :)

Only clad I keep is 76' Quarters...reminds me of when I used to collect them as a kid..hehe

BladeRunner2019

Dec 22, 2013
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I tumble mine as well. My wife is a member of a credit union that has a free coin machine, so I exchanged it there. I used some of the money to buy some silver bars.

Clad can add up. I know we all like to find silver coins, but sometimes I wonder if I'm not better off piling up the clad instead. :dontknow:

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Rinse it off with the garden hose on a 1/4" mesh screen. Check for anything "special". Tumble it with gravel. Roll it. Deposit it at my credit union. Spend it.

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just give mine a good rinse and run it through the banks coin counting machine. Almost everything except foreign and chewed coins goes through just fine. No need to tumble or make your coins look pretty.

TommyB

Jul 24, 2013
OC, Calif
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Surf PI & Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I get most of my clad from the beach. Save it up in an old mason jar. When full, I poor in some cheap vinegar and let it sit overnight.
Then rinse with water. This cleans most of the crud. Pour into coinstar and get a Amazon gift card. You can anything on amazon.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Depends on the amount of crud on the coins. 90% of mine can be rinsed and run thru my banks coin machine which pays me 100% value. What is really bad gets run thru CLR and redeposited in my banks coin machine. Last years coins I only had 50 cents rejected which I used in stores if change was needed. It all goes back to the mint at some point, which is where it originated anyhow!

pkb

Feb 10, 2013
Dallas
Detector(s) used
Two Garrett AT PRO's, two Garrett pro pointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just cashed in 50lbs. Bought 20 silver dollars

Juice in the hole

Mar 22, 2014
North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Our credit union has a machine that doesn't charge and that's where I take mine. They even replace the gnarly coins that the machine rejects.

L

l2hunt

after cleaning, i bring my clad to my credit union. i worked hard for my clad and so i want to keep every penny of it!

Pinball

Dec 18, 2014
Ashland, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I will keep all of the pennies but hope to have enough clad at the end of the year to buy a new Garrett AT pinpointer.

oldsurfer

Feb 22, 2015
Florida West Coast
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur, Whites Coinmaster Classic III (oldie!), Bounty Hunter Land Tracker, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Coinstar is fine, if you don't mind givin them their 10%. Just check each coin kinda careful to make sure it's all clad. I had an old Merc that was (thankfully) spit out of the Coinstar the other day - didn't even realized what I had till it kicked it out. My friend is a bank manager, so I save up most of my clad to buy halves.

yodi

Mar 24, 2015
NE Washington
Detector(s) used
Whites Coin Master / Garret Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Quarters and dimes are used for gas money. Nickles and pennies go in a 5 gallon jug and saved until i can eventually fill it up. (I got a long way to go)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions