Advice on buying a pinpoint detector

Nebraska

Greenie
Mar 22, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello all... My name is Bob Willey in Omaha, Nebraska. Am new to the hobby and want to buy a handheld pinpoint detector. Also any advice to a "newby". I called it a hobby earlier, but the more I read, it sounds more like a lifestyle.. Am I right? Thanks and hope everyone has a happy, healthy and safe Spring...Good Hunting!!

Make that a handheld pinpointer.. Sorry for the confusion..

Last edited:

Metal Detecting Stuff

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Mar 19, 2012
Spring TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030/F75LTD/ Garrett AtPro/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Bob,

There are a lot of choices in detectors. A lot depends on your budget, the type of targets you are after, and where you are going to hunt. Detectors run $200-$9995, a very wide range, but there is a capable detector for every budget. As you go up in price, additional features allow you to dig deeper in mineralized soil (ground balance in saltwater beaches or heavy mineralized soil), get a better indication of the type of metal (VDI), give an indication of depth, and allow for discrimination of undesirable targets. Different detectors are geared for more specific targets ( gold nuggets, underwater jewelry, coins, relics).

Feel free to give us an idea on here as to where your interests lie and a possible budget. You can also contact me directly and I'll give you some direction. Here's a link about the basics needed to get into detecting.

Wayne

(832) 928-9135
New to the Hobby ? Metal Detecting Stuff

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What do you mean by "pinpoint detector"? Are you looking for a standard detector, or are you looking for a handheld electronic pinpointer? If you are looking for a pinpointer, there are lots of options. Cheap ones generally don't work well and fail early. Some of the expensive ones can fail early too!

The most popular one available is the Garrett pro-pointer, which is now also available at the pro-pointer AT (and is waterproof). Minelab makes a good one called the pro-find, and Whites has a good one as well.

OP
OP
N

Nebraska

Greenie
Mar 22, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I didn't make my question too clear; sorry, I meant a handheld pinpointer. Thanks for the response!!

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If your just getting into the hobby you should buy a cheap one to get started. :dontknow:After you feel you'll stay with this lifestyle. You can get an upgrade ! :thumbsup: They make all kinds and you can get them all over the internet. :headbang:

Keep @ it and HH !! :hello2:

Papalittle

Apr 17, 2013
Hardy, Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Eurotek Pro, Fisher F2, Garrett Ace 250 Teknetics Delta4000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Bob, Welcome to Tnet from Hardy, NE...as for pin pointers I use Deteknix x-pointer and love it. for 89.00 at most detector retailers. I have used several types and the X-pointer is my favorite and for a little more there is the Vulcan 360 which works real nice.

OP
OP
N

Nebraska

Greenie
Mar 22, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks!! I appreciate all of the comments!!'

oldsurfer

Feb 22, 2015
Florida West Coast
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur, Whites Coinmaster Classic III (oldie!), Bounty Hunter Land Tracker, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to Tnet Bob...I've been detecting a long time, but am new to pretty new to this site as well. I can tell you that there is a LOT of information here that these folks are always glad to share. I just purchased an AT Pro detector (which I really like), so am looking leaning towards getting the Garrett Pro-Pointer to go with it - I borrowed one from a buddy for a couple of days and found it to be a reliable & rugged pinpointer at a reasonable price (little over a 100 bucks). Good luck!

Oh yeah...it's definitely a "life-style"!

yodi

Mar 24, 2015
NE Washington
Detector(s) used
Whites Coin Master / Garret Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
my opinion is a good pin pointer is almost essential It will save you an amazing amount of time and digging. Which is especially important if your digging in the view of the public. I have a whites pro pointer 2 it's a lil out dated but i really like it.

clv

Dec 23, 2012
santee, ca
Detector(s) used
Current Detectors; Minelab Safari, Equinox 600
TRX Pin Pointer, Fisher 1235x
Have owned; Minelab Eureka gold,
Tesoro Compadre, White's MX5, GMT, MXT Pro,
fisher cz7a pro, go fine 20, Garret Ma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I my self like the whites TRX if you need a regular detector also whites has a deal where they take $50 bucks off the price of the pinpointer. So you can get a top line tool for $89-$99 bucks. What I like best is the 4 levels of sensitivity. I set it at 2 for coins and 4 for helping to find that little nugget while nugget hunting. It will hit on my 1.4 grain test piece at 1inch.

OP
OP
N

Nebraska

Greenie
Mar 22, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks to all of the responders. I really appreciate.. I see that a lot of people are ready to share their knowledge with others.. This hobby IS a lifestyle for a lot of the members!! I'm suffering from PTSD from Vietnam and think it will do me good..

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry about the PTSD, just know your not suffering for no reason... :icon_scratch: You helped a lot of people !! :headbang: Cheers to you !! :occasion14:

Enjoy what's in front of you, not worry about what happened in the past its already over no matter how horrible it was !! :dontknow: I'm sorry I don't know what else to say, I just hope this helps !! :thumbsup:

Keep @ it and enjoy your life !! :thumbsup:

OP
OP
N

Nebraska

Greenie
Mar 22, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry about the PTSD, just know your not suffering for no reason... :icon_scratch: You helped a lot of people !! :headbang: Cheers to you !! :occasion14:

Enjoy what's in front of you, not worry about what happened in the past its already over no matter how horrible it was !! :dontknow: I'm sorry I don't know what else to say, I just hope this helps !! :thumbsup:

Keep @ it and enjoy your life !! :thumbsup:

Thanks, MUD...I really appreciate the kind words...

Last edited:

Molemann

Nov 30, 2012
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Deus, ETrac, MXT Pro, Garrett pin pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks to all of the responders. I really appreciate.. I see that a lot of people are ready to share their knowledge with others.. This hobby IS a lifestyle for a lot of the members!! I'm suffering from PTSD from Vietnam and think it will do me good..

Do you have a metal detector now? If so, I might be able to help you out with a pin pointer.
Have PTSD on the top of the scale since 1968. Get back to me and I will give you a pin pointer. This hobby is one of the best things you will ever do for your PTSD.

bzbadger

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2013
Lower Eastern Shore of Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QD II, Garrett Ace 150 & 350, Fisher ID Excel, Fisher coinstrike, Fisher Cz6, Fisher Gemini II, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett GTI 1500,Teknetiks omega 8000, Nokta Fors Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Deteknix xpointer is great for $90. Nokta pinpointer the new one fot $126 that's waterproof with 10 levels of sensitivity and a LED light that you can actually see with instead of other manufacturers that it basically serves as to see if the thing is actually on or not. I've already seen the new Garrett carrot pin pointer and although im a Garrett fan im not impressed. Other names out there little overpriced fir same as you can get the pointer cheaper or the better Nokta.

billyjoe42

May 10, 2007
Placer Co, CA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold, White's M6, Gray Ghost Amphibians, Sun Ray Gold, TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nebraska, My brother still gets counseling for PTSD - Viet Nam.
Detecting clears his head & restores his spirits, so we are doing more this year.
A good pinpointer (like White's TRX) will save you lots of time & frustration.
Good Luck out there.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread