Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
Yesterday I went metal detecting, I wanted to try somewhere other than a river. I saw exposed dirt and tried there. I got a nice quarter signal - at a place where the newest coin I found was from 1864. I dug when I noticed that the ground felt like cement. It turned out I was digging on ice!!! I gave up after thirty minutes not making a dent and marked it with some rocks for next time. I am dying to get back and dig it!

Has this happened to anyone ever???

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
not me.... hope it thaws out for you soon!

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Light a fire on it ?
heh... jus an idea...
Watch it was a rare key date gold eagle... or even rarer escudo...
Comes out half melted...
On second thought ...
scratch the fire... wait for thaw.

Small fire ? heh

OP
OP
coinman123

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
I dropped a twenty pound boulder right on the whole to loosen the dirt, if anything the bolder had more damage than the dirt. It felt like concrete but was ice. I just had the biggest downpour I have seen for a while today, plus 55-60 degrees, something tells me I will be digging soon... or not soon if the ground freezes overnight. If it freezes again I can go with fire.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think the top 1/2" of ours is thawed, but frozen solid under that. They are talking an inch of snow for tomorrow!

I am going to try and hit the beach Sunday maybe I can dig there.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
We're starting to melt here and, even though we're on a slope, the water around the foundation had nowhere to go and we were sinking via the walk-out basement door. I went out and shoveled a channel and, with a log hook, chopped a trench through the ice and frozen soil under the snow. It's rock hard 1/2" down. Gonna be a LONG time before I get out coin shooting.

I have been blowing the snow from our circular driveway into the center lawn, all winter, and now that has started to melt and re-freeze at night. I now have a 2 ft deep crater pond in my front lawn where the snow has created a water-tight bowl.

I would have to go ice-diving to get to my test garden. :-(

OP
OP
coinman123

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
Turned out to be iron. I did find another thing on that hunt, way more significant but it was the first time I ever reburied an item.

I got a nice signal I dig and see a WWI dog tag, I'm thrilled, I then see a smaller one, even better. Here is when it starts getting weird, I see tons of ornate iron, some silver plated. I put it back in the hole after photos in research in respect. It is in the middle of the woods, near a church and around 1/4 from a cemetery. I have a though... an urn.

I will do a big post with photos later,

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All the time in the Springtime, especially if we waffle between freeze and thaw. And the pits is that even if I take really good note of where the target was, I just can't seem to find it when it finally thaws.

OP
OP
coinman123

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
All the time in the Springtime, especially if we waffle between freeze and thaw. And the pits is that even if I take really good note of where the target was, I just can't seem to find it when it finally thaws.

I hate how last year I was metal detecting by early March, I still have to wait until april.

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was out two weeks ago and was able to dig down 5-6 inches. But the weather changed and now the ground is frozen solid again. Might be able to get out in another week, or might not be able to again until late April. That is a Minnesota springtime for you.

HunterII

Aug 28, 2012
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was out a few times last week and didn't find frost but the soil was a saturated muddy mess

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread