archaeology, shipwrecks and priceless artifacts

frankie

Feb 7, 2010
mass
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ctx 3030 deus excalibur sovern but used gp4500 sd2200 whites nd a few fisher. Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wrote on treasurenet back in 2010 that I wanted to get a group together for wreck recovery. Keep it low cost,honest and search for wrecks. We would all need to put something into the business to get started. That's what I was putting together back then. Didn't work out back then. But then I thought I found a investor. I believed in them and time just keeps going by with nothing getting done. I even spent $5,000 on new scuba gear for myself. But this doesn't seem to be working out for me. I want to be searching 24/7. We don't even have a truck to pull our boat which sits in my yard for free. And now it looks more and more like another do nothing season. Even with two uncharted wrecks found. Nothing is getting done. Were not going anywhere and two trips a summer in a old boat just doesn't cut it. If someone took the time and looked into the area and it's history. They would understand why this is one of the places that should be worked. I've seen the cost of hiring a boat for searching a area. If you hired a boat twice in a summer for a couple weeks. That amount of money would pay for a boat and myself for the whole year. I was a commercial fisherman for 30 years and have family still fishing lobsters inshore. So I know the land and ocean history around here. I can get what I need from friends also. All my friends are fisherman. One old wreck is even named after my uncle. Theirs so much here as far as WRECKS and HISTORY. They go hand in hand. But you have to go get it!! That means work!!!! Not sitting!! Between Archaeology and priceless artifacts to gold and silver treasure. You would be busy for a long time in this area. Theirs even the unknown treasures that's here b-4 safety regulations were put into effect. You would be finding wreck after wreck which is all worth something to someone. I'm not saying every wreck is worth money. But even one coin can be worth a lot and ship ribs go for fire place mantels. Theirs even a marble mosolem in 50 ft of water. You never know what a metal detector will find at wreck sites. Everyone carried and smuggled money back then. Why haven't these money wrecks been found yet? Because people play follow the leader when searching. Then move on for the easy big wrecks sites that others looked at b-4. I've known of three groups of people that searched the same area for a couple summers. Then move on. Steady,slow and sure is the way. Not follow the leader. Look at the Portland steamer. That was 100 miles away from where they thought it sank. Most wrecks aren't where they were suppose to be at anyway. Just keep mowing the lawn everyday in good areas. Stuff will start showing up. Then work together with archaeologist if you have to. Put stuff in museums. Theirs china wrecks and some money wrecks also that haven't been found here. Someone could be working all the time just recovering items from these wrecks until big treasure wrecks are found. The cost would be down and recovery would be a lot easier in shallow water. Besides just priceless artifacts their will be treasure their. A fair amount of Coins found on the beaches in different areas tells the story of other money wrecks that are around. Never mine the ship with 7 million in gold and silver. For someone with the right skiff set up and gear. Someone can clean house and be first at this area. I know this sounds to good to be true. But nothing is easy. The wrecks are here! I'm here and the history is here. It's right in front of me,but i can't reach it. Hope someone is interested. Would love to be part of something like this.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2

With all due respect, 2 observations:

1) stories of shipwreck sites, laden with gold and silver "just waiting to be harvested" , are a dime a dozen. And 99% of them always turn out to be fanciful legend, embellished tales, etc... There is a VERY poor record of return on investments, for anyone who's ever invested in shipwreck salvor stuff. Coins turning up on the beach can have other originations, and not necessarily shipwrecks worth salvaging/investing in, etc....

2) Isn't there rules on T'net that forbid fishing for investors ?

aquanut

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2005
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21, Tesoro Tiger Shark
I don't think Frankie is fishing for investors. It sounds more like he wants to partner with interested parties to join in a group effort. BTW Frankie, where exactly are you looking to explore?
Aquanut

BVI Hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 8, 2013
VIRGIN ISLANDS
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
AT Pro
SEA HUNTER 2
Garrett Pro Pointer
Ghost Amphibian Headphones
Vibra Probe 580
Vibra Tector 730
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes, at least indicate where on the planet these wrecks may be?
For instance in the Carribean and I can hook you up with many guys. In Florida or Elsewhere and I'm sure SOMEONE on TNet will know someone?

Darren in NC

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2004
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark, Homebuilt pulse loop
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Frank lives and breathes shipwrecks off Cape Cod.

OP
OP
F

frankie

Feb 7, 2010
mass
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ctx 3030 deus excalibur sovern but used gp4500 sd2200 whites nd a few fisher. Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm open to pretty much anything. As long as I'm treated fair and can get the backing and tools needed. I'm not asking for a lot of money for myself. I know of one really big area that is promising and will have a fair amount of wrecks in one place. Some should have mixed stuff on them including priceless .Theirs stuff their like a marble mosauleam in 50 ft. of water. Could use for storage. Ha Ha So many ships went down killing everyone here that safety regulations got put into effect. Old ships!!! I even saw a puzzle done in quill pen of our area in mass. It showed Viking ships headed toward the mainland. I'm hoping to work these wrecks until we come across something that's really big money in that area. instead of looking at a computer screen that never has anything on it. Keeps people on the ball, happy and wondering. Couple of problems I still need to work out. I want these shallow inshore wrecks!!! Theirs wrecks here up and down the coast also. Look at Barry Clifford and the Whidia. His pirate ship was in a treasure Atlas before he even found it. It said their was a monument at the wreck site. So like 1000 yards of that monument was the ship. He still needed to find it. But how easy was that? So how many people have been really searching this area for that to happen. And the pirates other ship {Mary Ann} went down also. Everyone wants the big money. Find gold and just rub it off. But then they have to deal with the courts and wait years. And artifacts are a lot of work. People would rather go big. But people hid money, carried money, ship supply's, china and so on. With all the hidden stuff. I'm surprised they could get away with it. And I'm thinking the courts would be more in our favor doing this type of work. At least stuff would be coming in and would add up. I could chase coins up and down the beach also. The right artifact, object or coin can be worth big money. You just never know!!! Plus a 7 million dollar wreck that's worth 3 times that now and on and on. Their is just as many unrecorded wrecks here as recorded wrecks. People just hit the this one area where money ships should be and then they leave. So these grounds haven't been gone thru at all. Follow the leader!!! Ha Ha Question about permits. These wrecks are within 3 miles of shore and some are on national seashore waters. What legal problems might I have on recovery of a lot of wrecks and artifacts or blowing holes. I know its different from state to state. But I hear Mass is pretty good about permits if needed. Anyone know the best place to read mass laws and permits? I asked my friend about this and got nothing. Better to look it up myself anyway. Idea's always welcome. Thanks for thinking of me.

OP
OP
F

frankie

Feb 7, 2010
mass
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hear what you say about the coins on the beach and investors. Thanks for the heads up. I didn't mean to upset people or do anything wrong. I will be more careful with my words. Sometimes I might say things that are taken wrong. I'm trying to get some jobs going for interested party's. Keep it low cost, honest and have people enjoying their work. Maybe it could become something later on for others to enjoy, like museums. Like the new one starting up down the road from me. Could even start up a good name that can open doors for treasure hunters and the laws. Starting inshore with a fuel efficient boat set on good area cost less and is easier to work than traveling all over in a big boat looking and paying a lot of people while your doing it. I can't do anything about the way investors spend their money or look what they go after. About the coins. I agree with what you said to a point. My friend has a 42 ft fishing boat that uses like maybe $100 bucks a day for fuel. Now is it worth checking out these coins when the time is right! Just the known wrecks here can go end to end around the whole cape. That's the known wrecks which 1/2 are unknown and went down before safety regulations. Theirs just as many unknown wrecks here. I wouldn't pass it up being inshore already. It's funny. I see people that metal detect. They walk down stairs and head for the water instead of starting at the bottom of the stairs. People tend to over look the good spots. People stop at the bottom of stairs to put money in their pockets or look around while getting it together and lose a lot their. But If I was working treasure ships offshore. Then ya I wouldn't be going out of my way for the coins on the beach. This is a great site and I don't want any problems. So thanks for your help.

old man

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2003
East Coast
Frankie, tnet is not the place to look for investors. Ask Darren.
There are a lot of guys here with good potential treasure wrecks with no money to work those sites.
I suggest you ask Darren where to look for investors. You might have better luck and I don't mean this post in a mean way. I am trying to be helpful.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is a fine line we tow in asking for investors for funds and asking for a partner to hunt....You should already know about permits if you have bought your gear.

SADS 669

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2013
Long Island, Bahamas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark....Aqua pulse 1B....Equinox ll
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Frankie,
I've said it before, post a photo of some cool stuff you find and investors will be breaking down your door.
You must know a buddy with a boat to go get something

OP
OP
F

frankie

Feb 7, 2010
mass
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your right. I should have worded it better. Laws change, {New t-net post} No metal detecting in mass. So It would be nice to update myself and make sure I'm on top of my game for what and when I want to do it. Any information on the subject never hurts. No investor is interested in artifacts anyway. It's a waste of time for them.

jude061

Mar 5, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A good place to start staying on top of the legal aspect of wreck work and the permitting process is the Mass board of underwater archaeological resources website. Their board minutes back to 2003 or so are on their website.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions