vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
metal_detector.gif
Did a quick search on "home made sand scoop" - here are but a few hits...

maipenrai

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2010
Thailand/Europe/California
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 2 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe a plastic sand scoop is ok, to carry around in your car to use on your coffee break, at a tot lot, but for anything else, you will just be wasting your time, and breaking your back.

justdon

Bronze Member
Aug 6, 2013
Florida
Detector(s) used
Teknetics delta4000/Tesoro compadre/Garrett ace 250/Garrett propointer/Garrett at pro/Tesoro silver umax
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What I did at first was go to a thrift shop got an old plastic mug drilled some holes in it and it worked fine for a scoop.In fact still use it some times.Its a large mug and cost me a quarter.You can always find a way to improvise.

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
The holes in the scoop should be large enough that you won't loose a dime. Even at that size wet sand doesn't just run out of the scoop. I like the looks of the July 8 scoop posted by VP Navy. What I do is tie a long cord on the scoop and let it drag behind me, that way I leave a trail and don't go over the same ground.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
RTG Beachmaster.PNG RTG Beachmaster. http://www.rtgstore.com/rtgscoops.htm There are lots of scoops and prices reflect on the quality. Scoops for water and wet sand however call for the best made and that's the SUNSPOT STEALTH.
920iX 1.jpg 920ix

Last edited:

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can go to a feed store and get a plastic feed scoop and then drill holes in it. It works and is plenty sturdy. It is just a lot of bending to scoop and sift. Might be a way to add a handle if you are handy with tools.

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Does your disability allow you to bend? If not I would recommend at least a 40" handle for the beach!

Higgy

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2014
NH
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here you go:

maipenrai

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2010
Thailand/Europe/California
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 2 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I really dont see much use for the holes, except when detecting in the water. I just dump the scoop next to the hole and check with the detector. In the water, you need a good sifter, but on wet or dry sand, much quicker just to dump the contents out and check, since you need to scan the hole and surrounding area anyway.

Rivers rat

Oct 21, 2012
LONDON UK
Detector(s) used
Deus/Laser scout
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I m having a gravel scoop made at the moment will post picture when it is done

RR

frankie

Feb 7, 2010
mass
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ctx 3030 deus excalibur sovern but used gp4500 sd2200 whites nd a few fisher. Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have all kinds of scoops. I even ordered two water scoops from a craftsman that has square holes in it. The wet sand wouldn't go thru the holes. A beach scoop should be made for you and your area. I do metal detecting because I enjoy everything about it. I don't want to be having a hard time digging. This Hobby pays for itself if you put the time in on the beach. It would pay for itself, If I would stop buying detectors. So you have a disability. If you are comfortable and can dig your finds quick and easy. Then you will enjoy your digging a lot more, find more, stay longer and won't be hurting your disability. Which in turn makes you find more. I have a like a 6 in stainless long handle scoop. The alum one's get bet up edges in the rocks. Stainless doesn't rust and slides into the soil easier. My scoop is heavy. I have a wide diving belt with a painters hook on it. I can hang my scoop by my side and drag my handle. The handle leaves a mark in the sand so I know where I have been. This hook is like under $2.00 and hooks to your belt. You just lay your scoop into the s part. What I'm saying is. Get one that you feel comfortable with and spend the money . You will dig more at the beach , which means more goodies to help pay for your scoop. Plus you won't need another scoop when the cheep one breaks. All it takes is one good find. He's a thought for you. If the beach has a office. Go put your name, Tel. number in their office. Or maybe put up some signs at some beaches. Depends where you live. Even some newspapers will let you put in a free ad!!!!!! I just unhook my scoop and within one dig I have my prize. Most times. It works in clay, rocks, wet sand and even dirt. They say dig everything. If you make a cheep scoop. That limits you. Put a wooden handle on a heavy duty metal bucket. Then check the angle that you want to dig and cut. Drill holes. Forget plastic. Hope this makes you confused now. Ha Ha It seems when you get started. You end up getting a lot of new stuff that your not happy with. It ends up costing you more money and the stuff just sits. Gives you something to think about.

frankie

Feb 7, 2010
mass
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ctx 3030 deus excalibur sovern but used gp4500 sd2200 whites nd a few fisher. Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Holes to drain some water for weight and sand to settle. I don't dump anything back into the water. But on the sand. I dump and kick the mound of dirt to spread it thin. If I don't see it. I go over it with detector. Saves on the arm strain when you don't have to hold and shake.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does anyone have a good idea for a home made sand scoop (sifter). I'm living on a fixed income from being disabiled and would like to know if anyone has succseswith a homemade scoop.The store bought one are pretty expensive for what you get!
They seem expensive for what you get but they are worth every penny...are you hunting in dry sand, wet sand or water?....I hated giving $130 for my first scoop...it was a RTG 6 inch aluminum, but after using it I was so glad I bought it and never regretted it...that was four years ago and I still use it for wet sand and freshwater hunting...I have a Stealth 720 for beach water hunting.

Last edited:

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I just got a new stealth scoop and can't wait to try it out! Hopefully this weekend! Cheap stuff usually just leads to massive frustration, my first scoop I made, second one was given to me used, now I have this stainless one. Just work your way up!

Sent from a empty soda can!

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nothing wrong with making your own scoop...some people make their own scoops and they do the job...if you cant afford an expensive scoop that's understandable...I never hear someone regret buying a quality scoop...everyone should do whats right for them.

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Ok, here is the first scoop I made. It's very strong and has no metal. The oak handle goes through the pipe and is encapsulated in epoxy...
44954670d5be3c85827ff7b3f100ca64.jpg
932fb9b33d60946207b8e0b71ffaac18.jpg
4ba2605f0cc3352244b6a2fea844bdf5.jpg

Sent from a empty soda can!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread