Shackleford Banks/Diamond City NC

Diggins

Sep 19, 2006
Geneva, IL
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Hi everyone. Last weekend I went to Shackleford Banks off of Beaufort, NC and wandered around. It's a 9mile Island so I didn't get very far. I am reading up on the history and am trying to find satellite images of the old town/village (Diamond City) that was there. There is no metal detecting but I am trying to decide if there are ruins or anything of interest. One ferry drops you off at the west end of the island, so it would be a 9mile hike (need to look into other boating options).

The history of the island is pretty cool and I would love to roam around if there is anything left to see, other than the horses.

I am also trying to find exact islands/beaches you can detect on around the Outer Banks area, from the Beaufort area on.

Thanks.

brendanew

Dec 28, 2014
Hubert NC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi everyone. Last weekend I went to Shackleford Banks off of Beaufort, NC and wandered around. It's a 9mile Island so I didn't get very far. I am reading up on the history and am trying to find satellite images of the old town/village (Diamond City) that was there. There is no metal detecting but I am trying to decide if there are ruins or anything of interest. One ferry drops you off at the west end of the island, so it would be a 9mile hike (need to look into other boating options).

The history of the island is pretty cool and I would love to roam around if there is anything left to see, other than the horses.

I am also trying to find exact islands/beaches you can detect on around the Outer Banks area, from the Beaufort area on.

Thanks.

Hi Diggins:
I frequently visit the island of Shackleford Banks and yes there is much to see. You are correct in stating that no metal detecting is allowed for the island is part of the National Park Service. There is a graveyard on the island and some remains from previous buildings.
As a child my Aunt owned a cabin on the island. The exact location of Diamond City has never been discovered. Hurricanes frequently visited outer bank islands and forced the folks to break down and move their homes over water to other islands and the mainland. I know the location of some of the foundations from old buildings. Any work on the island would take days and much hiking around. I hope to make a similar trip this spring to the island. I'm just a crazy history buff and still love to visit now as much as I did when I was a child. The island is steeped in legend and lore. Hope you enjoyed your visit.
Brenda New

PS - The only islands of the outer banks that you can use a metal detector is Ocracoke. This was the island home of Blackbeard and where he was killed by Lt. Maynard.

Last edited:

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
brandanew Welcome to the Forum. Watch for date of posts, this one was started 7 years ago.

Trash Digger

Dec 15, 2006
Eastern North Carolina
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
Even an old post can be of current value. I just learned about Diamond City in a North Carolina history book I am reading. A search engine led me here. brendanew gave me the answer to a question I had. I can't md there. It would still be an interesting site to explore, though. Maybe the fishing is good.8-)

flatbutton

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2013
Eastern N.C.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE, Tesoro Sand Shark,Nautilus DMC 1, Garrett Grand Master Hunter,Garrett Master Hunter 5 , Whites Coinmaster 5000/D
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fishing is awesome there, But detecting is off limits!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread