Did you find Platinum... or did you just find Palladium ? know your marks... JFYI...

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Currently today (this morning) Palladium sells for 741.00 per troy ounce....
HALF of platinum...
And looks and feels the same... with similar marks.

Many times on here before I became a member and was just a lowly troll here I would see posts from some people who were sporting a new find they thought was platinum...
But in fact by the posted pics of the marks... was in fact palladium...
Palladium was WIDELY used in early days...

Palladium is one of the three most popular metals used to make white gold alloys (nickel and silver can also be used).[36] Palladium-gold is a more expensive alloy than nickel-gold, but seldom causes allergic reactions (though certain cross-allergies with nickel may occur).[57]

When platinum was declared a strategic government resource during World War II, many jewelry bands were made out of palladium. As recently as September 2001,[58] palladium was more expensive than platinum and rarely used in jewelry also due to the technical obstacle of casting. However, the casting problem has been resolved and its use in jewelry has increased because of a large spike in the price of platinum and a drop in the price of palladium.[59]

Prior to 2004, the principal use of palladium in jewelry was the manufacture of white gold. In early 2004, when gold and platinum prices rose steeply, China began fabricating significant volumes of palladium jewelry and used 37 tonnes of palladium for this purpose in 2005. Changes of the relative price between palladium and platinum after 2008 lowered demand for palladium to 17.4 tonnes in 2009.[60][61]

SO... RECHECK your marks... to this...
I call it the "house with no roof mark"...
But older marks and some foreign harder... and misinterpreted as platinum.

Pal marks.png

PS... cool read for those of interested... http://www.amazon.com/Platinum-Palladium-Silver-Jewelry-Metals/dp/0929975472

Last edited:

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great post.
Palladium is a mystery to me. Only found it once, in a "setting".
Markings of 950 always spark interest. I was unaware of the others you've provided.
Well done.
Peace ✌

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the post.
At this point I point i would be happy to find "any ring". Leave it China!

Zakon Krzyżacki

May 25, 2022
HALF of platinum...

Many times on here before I became a member and was just a lowly troll here I would see posts from some people who were sporting a new find they thought was platinum...

Palladium is one of the three most popular metals used to make white gold alloys (nickel and silver can also be used).[36] Palladium-gold is a more expensive alloy than nickel-gold, but seldom causes allergic reactions (though certain cross-allergies with nickel may occur).[57]

When platinum was declared a strategic government resource during World War II, many jewelry bands were made out of palladium. As recently as September 2001,[58] palladium was more expensive than platinum and rarely used in jewelry also due to the technical obstacle of casting. However, the casting problem has been resolved and its use in jewelry has increased because of a large spike in the price of platinum and a drop in the price of palladium.[59]

Prior to 2004, the principal use of palladium in jewelry was the manufacture of white gold. In early 2004, when gold and platinum prices rose steeply, China began fabricating significant volumes of palladium jewelry and used 37 tonnes of palladium for this purpose in 2005. Changes of the relative price between palladium and platinum after 2008 lowered demand for palladium to 17.4 tonnes in 2009.[60][61]

View attachment 1138047

PS... cool read for those of interested...

Thanks AARC!

Reactions: ARC
OP
OP
ARC

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow blast from the past. heh

We should have ALL bought a bunch of palladium the day i wrote that ... lol.. we would have been sitting pretty now IF still with it.

SocJolley

Apr 15, 2022
HALF of platinum...

View attachment 1138047

PS... cool read for those of interested...

Appreciate you

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Since you bring it up
I notice on the shopping networks they sell jewelry with gold over silver and such
How are those marked?

OP
OP
ARC

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Since you bring it up
I notice on the shopping networks they sell jewelry with gold over silver and such
How are those marked?
Well its marked what the base metal is IF silver... if not then would be marked as something other.

Personally i think its stupid to plate metals like silver and gold but hey that's my opinion.

This new Rhodium plated jewelry is lame.... it wears down and you have to have it re-plated at some point if you want it to look right,

OH and BTW... "Gold Filled" is most times gold plated silver... not always... its usually heavy gold plate ON silver or brass... then marked as fraction of which.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I agree its stupid, but so are shopping channels

I found an old gold filled ring, I assumed the under metal was nothing, now I’ll check it

OP
OP
ARC

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree its stupid, but so are shopping channels

I found an old gold filled ring, I assumed the under metal was nothing, now I’ll check it
Yes... test for silver... do 18k streak first then if neg / weird do silver red.
HARD rub ... in shank area ... where the ring would touch table if hand placed flat against it.

Also... do rub and pay close attention to streak on stone... Look at color... if silver .. continue... IF brassy /copper... stop... not silver... dont bother wasting test solutions... tiz bunk.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread