Cuban Christmas Eve Airlift 62 Photos and Bay of Pigs Prisoner Ransom

WILTON

Mar 21, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cuban Christmas Eve Airlift '62 Photos and Bay of Pigs Prisoner Ransom

I hope there are Cold War historians that can answer a question. Have you ever seen a photo online of the Bay of Pigs prisoners and their families boarding Pan Am planes on Christmas Eve and others later boarding The SS African Pilot and SS Shirley Likes in Havana before arriving in Florida?
I think I might need a water mark before posting specific pic's. Any advice on how to protect my find would be appreciated.

The edge of one of the pics in the album is loose. Anyone recognize the photographer.

I took my forum name from this plaque.

Alfred Gruenther - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
I doubt you could anything that a skilled Photoshop tech couldn't get rid of. When they work at the pixel level anything can be altered. Better off probably keeping them out of view.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
If you are referring to Operation Pedro Pan, here is one such pic:
322_opp,_pt._2,_flight_via_Pan_Am_from_Cuba.jpg

Source: Christopher Newport College First Decaders 1961 - 1971
Photos of the Africa Pilot that you refer to are probably in the collection referenced here:
1962 SS African Pilot SHIP Carrying Cuba Bay of Pigs Refugees Press Photo | eBay

Interesting history, for sure. Here's some on the SS. Shirley Lykes:
Castro told the U.S. he would allow a second group of relatives free for another ransom. On Jan. 25, 1963, the SS Shirley Lykes entered Port Everglades with 1,170 Cuban passengers. They received a more subdued greeting than the one offered the African Pilot with its freed prisoners. Fourteen buses were on hand to take the exiles to Miami and six ambulances took some to hospitals.

The manifest included 390 men, 527 women and 253 children - 14 people on stretchers and the Del Pozo family pictured above. Adults told stories of having to leave keys to their homes and cars to Castro. Some felt they were too old to start again in the U.S. Others looked forward to new opportunities, new lives.

Each was given a bag at Port Everglades from the Red Cross with food and toiletries. Children received toys. The SS Shirley Lykes also came laden with 250,000 vials of polio vaccine; Castro said he didn’t need it. Some said it was because there wasn’t enough refrigeration on the island; others said he might have received it from another source.
Don...

Don.....

DCMetal

Jun 3, 2014
Washington, DC
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My father is from Cuba and I still have family living in Havana. I for one would love to see your photos. As for watermarking, there are good ways to mark your photos that will offer some protection. Hopefully you'll figure it out. Good luck and keep us posted. Cheers!

OP
OP
W

WILTON

Mar 21, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you are referring to Operation Pedro Pan, here is one such pic:
322_opp,_pt._2,_flight_via_Pan_Am_from_Cuba.jpg

Source: Christopher Newport College First Decaders 1961 - 1971
Photos of the Africa Pilot that you refer to are probably in the collection referenced here:
1962 SS African Pilot SHIP Carrying Cuba Bay of Pigs Refugees Press Photo | eBay

Interesting history, for sure. Here's some on the SS. Shirley Lykes:
Castro told the U.S. he would allow a second group of relatives free for another ransom. On Jan. 25, 1963, the SS Shirley Lykes entered Port Everglades with 1,170 Cuban passengers. They received a more subdued greeting than the one offered the African Pilot with its freed prisoners. Fourteen buses were on hand to take the exiles to Miami and six ambulances took some to hospitals.

The manifest included 390 men, 527 women and 253 children - 14 people on stretchers and the Del Pozo family pictured above. Adults told stories of having to leave keys to their homes and cars to Castro. Some felt they were too old to start again in the U.S. Others looked forward to new opportunities, new lives.

Each was given a bag at Port Everglades from the Red Cross with food and toiletries. Children received toys. The SS Shirley Lykes also came laden with 250,000 vials of polio vaccine; Castro said he didn’t need it. Some said it was because there wasn’t enough refrigeration on the island; others said he might have received it from another source.
Don...

Don.....

Hi Don, I have found many arrivals but I haven't found any departures.

I am waiting on info and I'll update when I have results. Thank you.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions