Extracting a Busted Pinion Shaft Lock Bolt

Nugs Bunny

Mar 13, 2013
Ohio
Detector(s) used
White's MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's recommended that the differential pinion shaft lock bolt be replaced whenever it's removed. They cost less than $2.00 and it must be removed to perform any repairs on most differentials.

A routine job such as replacing rear axle seals can turn into a nightmare if a weak lock bolt breaks. I have always replaced this bolt whenever I service a differential, $1.59 seems like pretty cheap insurance to me.

While attempting to replace the rear axle seals on my F-150 the lock bolt broke off, leaving some threads and the pin in the pinion shaft. Judging by the condition of the head of the bolt, it has been reused many times. This is the first time I have worked on the differential on this specific truck.

I searched the forums looking for ideas, there is no clearance for a drill and other than cut the pinion shaft or carrier I was out of ideas for the moment. I finally came across an extractor kit for $31.95 that promised a broken lock bolt could be removed in 5 minutes with it.

Well that was a lie... it only took about 3 minutes! I'm pretty stoked right now, it's not often stuff ordered off the internet works better than promised.

If you have faced this problem, or if you think it just sounds like a good tool to have on hand, it's sold by Fabbri Associates FABBRI ASSOCIATES

20150329_004937.jpg 20150329_005018.jpg 20150329_005621.jpg
20150329_005251.jpg 20150329_005437.jpg 20150329_005514.jpg
20150329_005723.jpg 20150329_005700.jpg 20150329_005712.jpg

Higgy

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2014
NH
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The proper tool wins again! :thumbsup:

Pinball

Dec 18, 2014
Ashland, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That is the way it always seems to go for me...a short job turns into a long one because of something like a broken bolt!!! I am thrilled to see it worked out for you as I feel your pain on this one. Yes it is nice when something works as promised. Congratulations.

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I used to do all my own mechanics on my vehicles and a tool like that is an awesome relief. Now I'm too old to get down under a truck unless I had to lol! Glad you got it out!
Thanks for the heads up on the tool!

OP
OP
Nugs Bunny

Nugs Bunny

Mar 13, 2013
Ohio
Detector(s) used
White's MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks guys! This truck should have been finished last season, but a multitude of problems prevented that.

I know how you feel Rusty, I'm getting to that age myself, feels like I have been in a street fight after changing spark plugs. :laughing7:

1shotwade

May 29, 2014
southern Indiana
Detector(s) used
white 4900/d
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for posting this! The pix looks like a standard set of "easy-outs". How does this kit differ?

Wade

OK,hey,scrap that;. I went on the link and found I didn't know what I was talking about,,,,,,,,again!
Wade

Last edited:

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hear ya on that one the right tool saves the day, and your sanity!

DBANDGB

Jan 19, 2011
heath springs,sc
i had the same exact problem on my 89 f-150. i had no choice at the end of the day but to use a center punch & hammer it get the rest out. found another bolt at home and made it fit.

flatbutton

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2013
Eastern N.C.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE, Tesoro Sand Shark,Nautilus DMC 1, Garrett Grand Master Hunter,Garrett Master Hunter 5 , Whites Coinmaster 5000/D
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on getting that SOB out! Just FYI, the bolts that hold the bed on are just as bad. When I had the bodyshop, we used to put heat on the bolts to soften the threadlocker and try and remove them with a Impact wrench. Even then it was still a pain.

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Formerly NH now East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
Very common on GM rear wheel drive cars & trucks. Fortunately they are nearly always very loose in the hole since there is only a thread or so left. I have had much sucess simply using an ice pick with a strong magnet stuck to the side of it and turned the broken piece out without having to resort to drilling. It helps to wiggle the pinion shaft slightly while trying to turn the broken piece with the tip of the ice pick. A really small screw driver will also work when used with a magnet. Never had to drill one out so far

Last edited:
OP
OP
Nugs Bunny

Nugs Bunny

Mar 13, 2013
Ohio
Detector(s) used
White's MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very common on GM rear wheel drive cars & trucks. Fortunately they are nearly always very loose in the hole since there is only a thread or so left. I have had much sucess simply using an ice pick with a strong magnet stuck to the side of it and turned the broken piece out without having to resort to drilling. It helps to wiggle the pinion shaft slightly while trying to turn the broken piece with the tip of the ice pick. A really small screw driver will also work when used with a magnet. Never had to drill one out so far

This was on Ford 8.8 with Trac Lock and there is no clearance, so no such luck, it was loose but not loose enough to finangle out, it was a pretty clean break and there was nothing to snag on.

The kit worked so well I wouldn't bother trying anything else, in less cramped conditions I could have had it out in two minutes instead of three.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread