Coil Guards

Mike70

Jan 23, 2015
Gold Coast, Queensland
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cortez, Tesoro Stingray, C&G Wildcat, Pistol Probe Pro. Tesoro Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Hi, welcome to the forum. By coil guard I assume you mean coil cover. Yes, it may reduce the coils detecting depth by 1/16", but you wont notice it. It is very usefull to help prevent wear on the bottom of your coil when detecting. Just make sure its a firm fit, some covers do not fit so well, and may just fall off, especially if you are detecting in the water or long grass.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A coil guard is cheaper to replace than a whole coil. The edges of the coil take the most wear and sand through. Black sand gets inside the cover and throws off the GB and also makes it unstable. Forget sealing the cover on as dirt will still get inside. Some hunters coat the coils with marine epoxy for protection instead of using a cover.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello Imfishboy,

The coil is a device that protects the coil from wear of tear while rubbing the coil on the ground or striking small debris while hunting. You will not loose any depth in use. I use them on all of my coils while hunting and clean them every other outing depending on the hunting conditions. Sandman is correct, keep the coil cover free of sand, this means clean often. These covers are a cheap investment for the expensive coils we purchase for our machines.

Regards,

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread