I think Im about done relic hunting for the season

flatbutton

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2013
Eastern N.C.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE, Tesoro Sand Shark,Nautilus DMC 1, Garrett Grand Master Hunter,Garrett Master Hunter 5 , Whites Coinmaster 5000/D
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think I'm about done relic hunting for the season

Did a 2 day camping trip/hunt a mile from the Bentonville N.C. battlefield last weekend with my buddy Tony and went solo locally this morning. Didn't do much in Bentonville, but my buddy Tony did find some broken arrowheads in the field we hunted. All I came out with today was a good dose of seed ticks. They are probably all inside of my truck now! DAMN! Anyways, you can't always hit a home run, and I've totally enjoyed the time out hunting this season. Good luck to you guys, and HH Bryant. Oh yeah, here's a pic of my buddy Tony and the land owner at our camp in Bentonville bentonville 001.JPG

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used to count on a long spring here in Minnesota - two months maybe of temps in the 50's when I could hunt fields and wooded areas without worrying about ticks. But three years in a row now we have had a day or two very early in Spring when it hit the upper sixties and the darned things hatched. Happened this year about two weeks ago, so I guess it is playgrounds, parks and shorelines til water season starts.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I know what you mean! I went 2 weeks ago to a ghost town that I like to hunt. I found 2 ticks on me and 5 more in my house after I got home over the next 3 days. I had sprayed down with Deep woods off but that didn't seem to phase them.

OP
OP
flatbutton

flatbutton

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2013
Eastern N.C.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE, Tesoro Sand Shark,Nautilus DMC 1, Garrett Grand Master Hunter,Garrett Master Hunter 5 , Whites Coinmaster 5000/D
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used to count on a long spring here in Minnesota - two months maybe of temps in the 50's when I could hunt fields and wooded areas without worrying about ticks. But three years in a row now we have had a day or two very early in Spring when it hit the upper sixties and the darned things hatched. Happened this year about two weeks ago, so I guess it is playgrounds, parks and shorelines til water season starts.

Yeah, they are a real pain. Super tiny, and there's never just 1. I'm with you, I think I'll do a little beach hunting until the fish start biting good!

OP
OP
flatbutton

flatbutton

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2013
Eastern N.C.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know what you mean! I went 2 weeks ago to a ghost town that I like to hunt. I found 2 ticks on me and 5 more in my house after I got home over the next 3 days. I had sprayed down with Deep woods off but that didn't seem to phase them.

What I think is worse than seed ticks are chiggers! Or better yet, that big around as your arm canebrake rattlesnake coiled up at the base of a big hardwood tree on the sunny side getting warm and waiting for some unsuspecting squirrel to climb down. Trust me I know, but that's another story!

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

While I do my best to stay away from their territory, I carry not one, but two tweezers in the car just in case. It is the frantic tearing off of clothing while inside a motor vehicle to get at them that is problematic. And squealing like an um, girl, while I am doing it.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did a 2 day camping trip/hunt a mile from the Bentonville N.C. battlefield last weekend with my buddy Tony and went solo locally this morning. Didn't do much in Bentonville, but my buddy Tony did find some broken arrowheads in the field we hunted. All I came out with today was a good dose of seed ticks. They are probably all inside of my truck now! DAMN! Anyways, you can't always hit a home run, and I've totally enjoyed the time out hunting this season. Good luck to you guys, and HH Bryant. Oh yeah, here's a pic of my buddy Tony and the land owner at our camp in Bentonville View attachment 1138684

Look's like a nice time 'Chillin ' at the Camp.
Don't have Seed ticks that I know Of around here, but walked a field in Tunnel Hill Ga, then later noticed little black things on my legs (even on Ole One Eye), could tell they were ticks by the way they were attached.
Mostly deer ticks around here. The Skeeters & Chiggers are my main Summer /Spring Problems other the HOT& HUMID.

Tho I don,t hunt any Fields ,(I suppose they were fields prior to the 60's ) mostly new 30+ foot pines.
It's the Sheer lack of relics That makes me want to Quit Relic Hunting & Focus more on coins & Jewelry (that is where the Money in detecting, is Jewelry). Love history tho.

Out yesterday I,m glad I dug Something in 8 hours 1 fired 36 cal, & 1 fired 44 cal Ball ( but still 95% round) . Then lost my Lesche 40+ dollar digging tool, & that put me in the Negative.

Also seen some nice wild Turkeys W/ the males Showing there Plumage for my Pictures. Heck Getting out & seeing that was the best part of the Day.

Not a hunter & know they were in season as of a Week ago. I just let them Do their thing.
Sorry for my rant.
GL
Davers

OP
OP
flatbutton

flatbutton

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2013
Eastern N.C.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The wonderful thing about chiggers, is chiggers are wonderful things.... or something like that. :)

HA! Tiggers yes, chiggers no! Chiggers are at least a solid week of pure misery!

OP
OP
flatbutton

flatbutton

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2013
Eastern N.C.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Look's like a nice time 'Chillin ' at the Camp.
Don't have Seed ticks that I know Of around here, but walked a field in Tunnel Hill Ga, then later noticed little black things on my legs (even on Ole One Eye), could tell they were ticks by the way they were attached.
Mostly deer ticks around here. The Skeeters & Chiggers are my main Summer /Spring Problems other the HOT& HUMID.

Tho I don,t hunt any Fields ,(I suppose they were fields prior to the 60's ) mostly new 30+ foot pines.
It's the Sheer lack of relics That makes me want to Quit Relic Hunting & Focus more on coins & Jewelry (that is where the Money in detecting, is Jewelry). Love history tho.

Out yesterday I,m glad I dug Something in 8 hours 1 fired 36 cal, & 1 fired 44 cal Ball ( but still 95% round) . Then lost my Lesche 40+ dollar digging tool, & that put me in the Negative.

Also seen some nice wild Turkeys W/ the males Showing there Plumage for my Pictures. Heck Getting out & seeing that was the best part of the Day.

Not a hunter & know they were in season as of a Week ago. I just let them Do their thing.
Sorry for my rant.
GL
Davers

I hear ya man, It's getting REAL tough to come up with new sites around here. I'm starting to get pretty bummed out!

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Chiggers VS seed ticks. I would give it to the chiggers. I hate them things. Yep turkey season is starting here. I dug a new spot Sunday and it had open holes everywhere and nothing but pull tabs. Hunting arrowheads is easier but it is even getting worn out.

OP
OP
flatbutton

flatbutton

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2013
Eastern N.C.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Chiggers VS seed ticks. I would give it to the chiggers. I hate them things. Yep turkey season is starting here. I dug a new spot Sunday and it had open holes everywhere and nothing but pull tabs. Hunting arrowheads is easier but it is even getting worn out.

Turkeys are moving around here as well. Saw one cross the road yesterday as I was getting my gear out of the truck. Gotta check, but I don't think turkey season is in here yet.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Last edited:

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hear ya man, It's getting REAL tough to come up with new sites around here. I'm starting to get pretty bummed out!

Then again.....When I look at a map of my County/ State, I think "There's GOTTA be some relics out there.
There is but................

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The 'Buzz' from my last silver has long wore off, I'd Stand on my head for a Merc, but it's 50X easier to dig $1.50- &1.80 & buy one. but I won,t be that possible Key date, or the same as digging it myself----Only a die hard Detectorist would know what I mean. Lol

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am getting ready to get out the kayak and start creek hunting. Got some new magnets to clear the iron out. We will see how it goes.

Juice in the hole

Mar 22, 2014
North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sawyer Products Premium Permethrin Clothing Insect Repellent Trigger Spray available through Amazon or in your local Walmart camping department for around $9-10. It really works too! It actually kills the ticks, not just repel them. I watched a tick climb up my shirt sleeve and slowly die last summer. It's the only thing that really works on those buggers.

One precaution; if you have cats, you must apply it outside and let dry before bringing indoors. They're deathly allergic to the naturally derived chemical.

ETA: I also meant to say that the clothing treatment is supposed to last for 6 washings. I noticed that AFTER 4 washings that there was a diminished effect upon the ticks. Consequently, I now hang my treated cloths on our enclosed porch to dry out after wearing and wear them for 2-3 outings before washing. This usually gives me around a month of protection. Obviously a bit less if I get out more.

Last edited:

Tejaas

Sep 8, 2012
TX Hill Country
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO ~ Propointer ~ Modified Lesche ~ Predator Little Eagle ~ Royal Picks ~ Marshalltown Trowels ~ Sift Tables/Screens
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
HA! Tiggers yes, chiggers no! Chiggers are at least a solid week of pure misery!

Clear nail polish over 'em.
You'll have forgotten about them by the next morning!

~Tejaas~

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am getting ready to get out the kayak and start creek hunting. Got some new magnets to clear the iron out. We will see how it goes.

Thinking outside the Box, 'Very Cool'
Great historic ,Old Creeks in your area.
Imo Just have your Super Strong Magnets Tied on well, Don't want to loose them on an old Car Body, Or Shopping Cart Buried in the sand, In deeper water of course.

Noticed you had the AT pro, I need to Just Do It & buy one for similar reasons.
Whats a Larson mo jo pro flippin stick?
Thanks
Davers

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sawyer Products Premium Permethrin Clothing Insect Repellent Trigger Spray available through Amazon or in your local Walmart camping department for around $9-10. It really works too! It actually kills the ticks, not just repel them. I watched a tick climb up my shirt sleeve and slowly die last summer. It's the only thing that really works on those buggers.

One precaution; if you have cats, you must apply it outside and let dry before bringing indoors. They're deathly allergic to the naturally derived chemical.

Got too Many Kittys to chance that, thx tho.
Ill stick with the OFF works good enough, still many times the Chiggers get into my wrists while "carefully " digging a target.

Funny yesterday after I got home from a Hunt ' mostly to look for the Lesche Hand digger I lost on Sunday'
After 4+ hours of looking for it Sunday & 2 yesterday....I found It..."YES"
Anyway bout 8 ish my 7 year old son ran into the Kitchen & said "Look" .
He had a baby Deer tick attached to his arm , Plucked it off W/ Tweezers , Man the are getting started early this year
Heck we had a good Windshield scraping Frost on Saturday Morning.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread