Copyright Infringement - Protect Yourself If You Write About This Hobby

detector99

Nov 1, 2004
NY
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you are a blogger, a writer, or a website owner regarding metal detecting/treasure hunting, be aware that there are individuals who are copying and plagiarizing the work of others. A few individuals have been turning out books, many books, while copying the hard work of others.

I first noticed this trend about 5 years ago. At that time my website pages were being hijacked by scumbags, and they were using them for their own blogs, sites, and books. Of course I put a stop to that, and one time I hired a lawyer to threaten a lawsuit. Even my DVD’s of my TV series were being copied without my permission. Now, the copying and plagiarizing from these dirt bags has increased.
One way of knowing if a certain individual has been illegally obtaining information from another is if they suddenly have a lot of material, especially in book form, for sale.
Those of us who have written books know how long it takes to complete one. The research and the writing takes time, especially if it is a “How To” or a Non-Fiction.” But when individuals suddenly have four, five, six, or more books published and for sale, at the same time, or a few weeks a part, then you know that person did not research the work on his or her own. That information most likely was already published some where else.
There are ways to check to see if your work has been copied. I will not promote one over another here. But if you do an internet search you will find companies and websites that will help you.

Frank W. Pandozzi

Locating And Metal Detecting Eastern Ghost Town Treasure
Exploring History's Treasures TV Series-History, Metal Detector, Treasure Hunting, Outdoor Adventure TV Series

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Been going on for a long time - the "Nealots treasure story", the Internet just makes it a million times easier.

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm shocked

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is there really any "new" information for a book? How can you write without saying the same thing a dozen forums/blogs/books havent said in the past?

frankie

Feb 7, 2010
mass
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ctx 3030 deus excalibur sovern but used gp4500 sd2200 whites nd a few fisher. Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Straight from the horses mouth. That's good info. on what to keep a eye out for when getting books. Theirs always someone looking to make money quick off others for what ever reason. But they just mess it up for others I hate to say. I helped someone and others but and they stole my rings, and treasure findings or did me wrong. My findings and family history items are to me like your book is to you. Now after getting burned I find it hard to help as many other. A person should know in their heart what's right or wrong. In fact their was a guy complaining on the forum about the book he got. He was saying the information was wrong and he wanted his money back. That's another problem. Computers and cards. I thought I bought a book, but I bought a download. It said, Money back- no questions asked. I got hold of them. No money back and I knew I made a mistake as soon as I hit the button. That quick! Over Done. Money gone. Today isn't like the old days. You can get away with just about anything but treasure hunting. Ha Ha. Good post.

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Straight from the horses mouth. That's good info. on what to keep a eye out for when getting books. Theirs always someone looking to make money quick off others for what ever reason. But they just mess it up for others I hate to say. I helped someone and others but and they stole my rings, and treasure findings or did me wrong. My findings and family history items are to me like your book is to you. Now after getting burned I find it hard to help as many other. A person should know in their heart what's right or wrong. In fact their was a guy complaining on the forum about the book he got. He was saying the information was wrong and he wanted his money back. That's another problem. Computers and cards. I thought I bought a book, but I bought a download. It said, Money back- no questions asked. I got hold of them. No money back and I knew I made a mistake as soon as I hit the button. That quick! Over Done. Money gone. Today isn't like the old days. You can get away with just about anything but treasure hunting. Ha Ha. Good post.

Always use PayPal when buying online at least that way you have some recourse...

Sent from a empty soda can!

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good advice, and good point from Jason. You could write a whole book by re-phrasing what others have said. My policy is I never say anything on the internet that I would not stand down here on the corner of 5th and Main and yell out loud to the public.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Assume that if you post it on the internet or send it in an e-mail that it is public domain and free to all users. That is the nature of the Internet and what it was intended to be - free sharing of information.

Nugs Bunny

Mar 13, 2013
Ohio
Detector(s) used
White's MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Assume that if you post it on the internet or send it in an e-mail that it is public domain and free to all users. That is the nature of the Internet and what it was intended to be - free sharing of information.

Hey I have used EVERY one of those words in the past... you're infringing me! :laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread