My $44 dectector

BLK

Mar 5, 2015
Northern New York State
Detector(s) used
Harbour freight cheapo. Trying and expermenting to see if I like it and then want to go Garrett or Fisher.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Ok ok I got it in the mail. Yup I got my 44 dollar detector in the mail last week. Then the separate earphones came in. I tried some sample stuff in open air then headed to the beach to bury the same samples in the sand on Mustang Island. I then tried the detector with each sample buried at 2 inches deep and buried at 6 inches deep. It found them all and actually pinpointed them. The samples were as follows: one steel nail, one new penny, one nickel, one dime, and one quarter.

The detector double tones on the steel and single tones on all other samples. The meter is not much use because it pegs on most signals. I will try sensitivity adjustment to see if I can change that. But: At least I am started on this adventure! So I tried it on an area where the spring breakers were playing volley ball and swimming. I found two beer tabs, one dime and a bunch of rusty sand that had charcoal in it. It double signaled on the charcoal and I think it actually was the iron rust from the bottom of a charcoal burner when they dug a hole and buried the charcoal. I have 6 old abandoned one room school houses where I live and I am going there and detect around the old playgrounds this summer. I know those kids must have lost at least one gold coin! Or maybe granpa's gold watch. I a little nervous I may be buying a much more detector soon!!

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
good luck !!!have fun

TheHunterGT

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2015
Central California
Detector(s) used
Anfibio Multi - T2 Classic - F75+ - G2+....and MANY more tested and reviewed.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My son received a $60 Bounty Hunter Gold Digger for Christmas last year. It is an amazing machine. Hits on coins at 5-6 inches no problem. The little crapper found a 10k gold ring at the lake on his first trip. He almost cried he was so happy. Could see the tears in his eyes but he was trying to be macho since he is 11 after all. :laughing7:

As far as finds he is absolutely killing my Scorpion and my buddy who has a AT Pro. Boy finds clad all day and is happy as hell since the snow cone truck is 50 cents.

It's not the cost of the machine....it's about what it finds and the joy it brings. Best of luck and heres to hoping this hobby sticks with ya. :occasion14:

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I started out last season with a cheap detector, Had an 8 inch coil. Mine had 3 tones, found about 60 dollars in 2 months. I never used the meter, like you said it maxed on almost all hits. It was a great learning tool. You can even tell the depth of an item by continually raising the detector as you swing over the spot. I even taught my brother-in-law how to metal detect with it. Since then he has upgraded to a mid range whites detector, I upgraded to a Fisher F4 with a double D coil and then later to a F75 SE LTD (found a great deal, too good to pass on). Hope you enjoy the hobby. If not you didn't have too much invested. It can become very addicting.

Here is a stock picture of my 1st detector

discovery metal detector_12.jpg

dogteam

Jul 31, 2012
Edmonton, AB
Detector(s) used
Eurotek Pro, 8" coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's great, I always like to hear about people having success with a bargain machine! Personally, every time I find something with my $8 White's TR Discriminator, I count it as money in the bank and think of all the cash I saved *not* buying a Minelab or whatever. ;)

oldsurfer

Feb 22, 2015
Florida West Coast
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur, Whites Coinmaster Classic III (oldie!), Bounty Hunter Land Tracker, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a good start! You'll pay for that detector in no time! Good luck BLK

OP
OP
B

BLK

Mar 5, 2015
Northern New York State
Detector(s) used
Harbour freight cheapo. Trying and expermenting to see if I like it and then want to go Garrett or Fisher.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Well I was told I might better play golf with a hockey stick but I really suck at golf so I decided to go with the 44 dollar detector. Maybe it will work on the golf course tool
Fore!!! Ball coming at you at 250 yards. Hey for a buck and a little luck you never know? Holy crap what am I saying.

OP
OP
B

BLK

Mar 5, 2015
Northern New York State
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Ok I agree it is probably a hockey stick BUT

So far this 44 dollar piece of crap has let me get excited with metal detecting and quite frankly a few of my friends down here are quite impressed that it seems or appears to operate on the level of a BH whatever. Whatever to hell that means. I am actually getting a lot of laughs out of this thing but on the other hand I think it may be just as good as most of the 250 dollar models. JMHO

dogteam

Jul 31, 2012
Edmonton, AB
Detector(s) used
Eurotek Pro, 8" coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What is it, BLK? One if those Chinese jobs?

T.C.

Bronze Member
May 17, 2012
Kalamity Falls, Orygun
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You're hooked!! Welcome to the club!!:laughing7:
Ok ok I got it in the mail. Yup I got my 44 dollar detector in the mail last week. Then the separate earphones came in. I tried some sample stuff in open air then headed to the beach to bury the same samples in the sand on Mustang Island. I then tried the detector with each sample buried at 2 inches deep and buried at 6 inches deep. It found them all and actually pinpointed them. The samples were as follows: one steel nail, one new penny, one nickel, one dime, and one quarter.

The detector double tones on the steel and single tones on all other samples. The meter is not much use because it pegs on most signals. I will try sensitivity adjustment to see if I can change that. But: At least I am started on this adventure! So I tried it on an area where the spring breakers were playing volley ball and swimming. I found two beer tabs, one dime and a bunch of rusty sand that had charcoal in it. It double signaled on the charcoal and I think it actually was the iron rust from the bottom of a charcoal burner when they dug a hole and buried the charcoal. I have 6 old abandoned one room school houses where I live and I am going there and detect around the old playgrounds this summer. I know those kids must have lost at least one gold coin! Or maybe granpa's gold watch. I a little nervous I may be buying a much more detector soon!!

Higgy

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2014
NH
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Next step is a Compadre.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You can get good at discriminating by using a piece of iron and some foil or a beaver tail. Put them on the ground and sweep over them and turn your discrimination up until these no longer make your detector beep. You may not find gold or nickles with this set up, but you'll sure dig most all the other coins and silver jewelry. If you wnat gold, you'll dig a lot of trash, just discriminate out the iron.

What make and model are you swinging BLK?

OP
OP
B

BLK

Mar 5, 2015
Northern New York State
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
OK, I do not know if I am breaking the rules but it is a HF shipped from California and is obviously a Chinese knock off. That being said, I also buy my hearing aids from the net from a different source and they work just as well if not better than the $1800.00 ones that I shipped back twice to have fixed The knock offs are two years old and still working fine. 68 vs 18000? I take 68 thank you and I USED to believe we should buy American. Sad.

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
that hf machine will give you an intro into the hobby without a big investment.Just know that it is a little like playing tennis with a ping pong paddle.You are still playing tennis but...
It will show you that there is metal almost everywhere and with some practice you will be able to predict what the object is before you decide to dig it,that is what more expensive machines do,they help you make that decision better.they start at under $200.00

Your machine is going to see almost everything in its range,I have heard coins are no problem for it to 4".The better machines will go 2-3 times deeper,and be more accurate at descriminating(turning off)metals you are not interested in.

If you decide to give this hobby a go we will all be very happy to steer you into equipment choices to fit your budget,where to look for good deals and any how to you may need.

welcome to your new addiction !! :occasion14:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread