DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75/1270/1266x/Radio Shack Treasure tracker/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I took this new sniper coil I got to a couple of old hunting spots.I hit a couple patches,you know the ones that drive you crazy with iron noise.Anyway I did find a few small targets I missed, but not much!I think I pretty much found the most of it with the 8 inch coil.I can see how the sniper coil can be usefull,It forced me to slow down and it did read between the lines sometimes, but not like I was hoping.I think I will just carry it with me for certain situations.Here are a few small targets I plucked out with it. 013.JPG

kingwilly84

Tenderfoot
Jun 8, 2014
eastern VA
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got one a while back still haven't used it I hunt mostly fields and woods im waiting for a trashy spot so I can test it out

Elad

Apr 23, 2008
MA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I never take my sniper coil off. So you were in fact able to find more using your sniper coil yet you are disappointed? I don't get it...

oldsurfer

Feb 22, 2015
Florida West Coast
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur, Whites Coinmaster Classic III (oldie!), Bounty Hunter Land Tracker, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got nothin BUT trashy spots so far this year! :BangHead:

OP
OP
DigIron2

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I never take my sniper coil off. So you were in fact able to find more using your sniper coil yet you are disappointed? I don't get it...
Don't get me wrong, i am not downing it .I can see how it can be a affective tool.Those finds came from two different sites that had patches of highly concentrated iron.Apparently I have already found the most of what was there with the 8 inch coil,I did pluck out those few small finds with the sniper coil,but I almost wonder if ultimately I would have found them with the 8 inch coil,or maybe not?I do see the pro's v.s. the cons with the sniper coil.The pro's imo, being it forced me to slow down, and it did separate the targets a little better,helping me concentrate on one sound at a time,plus it is more easy to maneuver around and in between tight places then the larger coil.But one of the con's that come to mind,when I wanted to spread my wings so to speak,I was very limited on ground coverage,found myself wishing I had my large coil on the machine.I do like the coil,just not quite what I was expecting. I will probably just carry it with me in my backpack and slap it on when I think it might be needed.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hunt practically nothing but trashy places with my standard 8" coil, if I get a mixed signal I dig it, and I don't give up depth.

OP
OP
DigIron2

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hunt practically nothing but trashy places with my standard 8" coil, if I get a mixed signal I dig it, and I don't give up depth.
The 8 inch coil does do the job!On the other hand the sniper coil does seem to have its benefits.I did noticed while testing the sniper over objects It did seem to lose some depth sensitivity compared to the 8''but it didn't seem to have to much of a dramatic loss of depth. But I guess every little bit counts.

Last edited:

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Still a good tool to have in the Box.

flatbutton

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2013
Eastern N.C.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE, Tesoro Sand Shark,Nautilus DMC 1, Garrett Grand Master Hunter,Garrett Master Hunter 5 , Whites Coinmaster 5000/D
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Haven't used mine yet. Just to dang lazy to swap them out :laughing7:

reednc

May 23, 2012
Columbus, OH
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have had success using my sniper coil on curb strips. It allows me to search right next to the curb where cars are parked. I found my avatar coin using it.

relicmeister

Bronze Member
Jul 26, 2012
Poconos, Nw.NJ & Delaware Valley
Detector(s) used
XP Orx Deus II, 9” coil
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I don't have a small coil and I think it's gotta be a pain switching it with the regular coil, so I would have it on a dedicated machine for certain places it might be useful. I wish you could control the usable size of a coil without switching it ( like a control feature)

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
After using a standard coil and switching to a sniper coil can and is sort of like painting a house with an artist brush, takes for ever but it can be done. I find it like that anyways and I have found some extra little finds among the iron. Most times I can't justify the time to do an area over again for the couple of missed targets, but if the spot was producing good finds that would change quickly. Keeping the coil as a back up and close is a great option.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions