Bad eggs spoil the basket.....

fongu

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thought I would post this from a historical paper put out in my area. Had 3 photos, but didn't resize one of them and will try and post it next week. If this is true and with some of the people I've ran into or seed their damage
and unfilled holes, it probably is. Hope to write them a letter next week and explain that the majority of our members are ethical and do not do this.
Bad eggs spoil the basket 005 (Custom).jpg Bad eggs spoil the basket 003 (Custom).jpg

TheHunterGT

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2015
Central California
Detector(s) used
Anfibio Multi - T2 Classic - F75+ - G2+....and MANY more tested and reviewed.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Terrible story to read. Anybody who would trespass and dig private property to then only shrug their shoulders when confronted needs a back alley lesson taught to them. Sure hope they are not members here. :BangHead:

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
:BangHead::BangHead: Those are the kind of people I hate. The kind who think they can show up (illegally) without permission and crudely dig everywhere with no respect to the property or property owner. I agree, a few bad eggs can spoil the entire basket.

They are not just ruining their chances at metal detecting at cool places, they are ruining the hobby for many other people too!!

Last edited:

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
this is what trip wires and grenades are for

L.C. BAKER

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2012
Nebraska City, Nebraska
Primary Interest:
Other
A simple knock on the door or researching for an owner is well worth the time it takes.....worse they can say is no....and who knows,they might sell it or you may out live them and get another chance at it from another owner in the future!

Last edited:

voodoo

Nov 10, 2013
calgary
Detector(s) used
AT Gold, Pro pointer AT, Lesche digger, Garrett digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sad sad sad........

bzbadger

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2013
Lower Eastern Shore of Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QD II, Garrett Ace 150 & 350, Fisher ID Excel, Fisher coinstrike, Fisher Cz6, Fisher Gemini II, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett GTI 1500,Teknetiks omega 8000, Nokta Fors Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Seriously who does this type of kr@p. You do that in my area you are liable to get shot. Usually country folk wont put up with that nonsense.
That part about the guy digging up flowers then when challenged shrugs it off sounds either very extreme or possibly stretched a bit. This is just wrong and makes us look bad.

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
Seriously who does this type of kr@p. You do that in my area you are liable to get shot. Usually country folk wont put up with that nonsense.
That part about the guy digging up flowers then when challenged shrugs it off sounds either very extreme or possibly stretched a bit. This is just wrong and makes us look bad.

DITTO!!

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If the property owner "planted" the trespasser in the very hole he dug, justified!

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
People who do this kind of thing make me sick. Is a relic or two really worth trespassing and screwing up things for the people who do get permission?

Higgy

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2014
NH
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OP
OP
F

fongu

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I find it hard to imagine being this disrespectful to anybody, but I'm trying to keep an open mind about this being true. There are idiots with detectors out there, I've had to clean up some of their messes. I plan to post the letter to this newspaper and if anybody should send them any mail, please keep it positive. Here is the photo I couldn't get posted last week. GL & HH. I will post any response I get from the newspaper/newsletter.

Bad eggs spoil the basket 010 (Custom).jpg

Last edited:

skeeter86

Oct 22, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can you say savage family diggers sound like something they would do!

bzbadger

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2013
Lower Eastern Shore of Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QD II, Garrett Ace 150 & 350, Fisher ID Excel, Fisher coinstrike, Fisher Cz6, Fisher Gemini II, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett GTI 1500,Teknetiks omega 8000, Nokta Fors Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Couldn't have been slap happy savage, apparently nobody used backhoes or dynamite while unearthing coins. Anyone remember savage's wife? Wow, someone who believes Halloween is a year long event.

OP
OP
F

fongu

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wrote the letter today and will get it mailed Saturday. I will post any responses I get, positive or negative.

The Historical News April-17-2015
P O Box 1068
Hiram, Georgia 30141

To Whom It May Concern:

I read the article on page 23, in the April issue about the violation of private property by someone using a metal detector and wanted to write to you and express my opinion on this.

This does not represent the majority of people in our hobby who voluntarily abide by a code of ethics and only represents a very small minority. There are bad apples in every barrel and we must sort them out and remove them from our hobby to save those who are ethical members and always ask permission to go on private property.

Not only do I ask permission from private property owners, I always check with the people who manage public property and get their permission and assure them I will leave no holes unfilled and carry out small trash items. I’m a taxpayer and it is public property, but I feel I have an ethical responsibility to ask.

I feel that I perform a public service by removing trash such as nails, broken glass, fish hooks, syringes and needles from public parks and swim areas. I also work to educate people about our hobby and we are not out to destroy public or private property, but to recover and protect it.

A few coins or relics are a small reward for our efforts and the fresh air and being outdoors is our greatest pleasure.

Sincerely,
W. L. Ellerbee

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions