Jan 8, 2015
Upstate NY
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Makro Racer 2 and Makro Kruzer
Garrett Carrot pro-pointer AT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have recently joined the Lost My Stuff group and will be heading out this weekend to see if I can track down this guys Class ring that has been missing for over 40 years. He lost it in the baseball diamond behind his school, and does not remember where exactly he was when it went sailing off his finger. He says the ring went further than the ball:laughing7:. Anyway I'll be using my Garrett Ace 250 and I'm wondering if anyone would have pointers on what setting I should use for this search. He told me that the ring is White Gold with a blue stone. I would think I would use the Jewelry setting, but having never found a class ring or white gold before, I'm wondering what range the ring might come in at. I will most likely dig all good signals but would like to hear from the Masters and I know T-Net has the best. Thanks!
-Dr. Witty

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Search for it like it was a pulltab.

And be ready to explain that there ios a good chance someone spotted it and picked it up 39-1/2 years ago.

airscapes

Nov 13, 2013
Philadelphia PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 950, U13,6"Exc & 4x6 Coils, Coinmaster GT 4x6 & NEL Hunter coil, TRX Pin Pointer, CZE-T200 FM Transmitter, Sangean DT-400W and ER6i in-ears.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
Turn down discrimination to right above iron, gold rings show up very low. Search very carefully and use perseverance. One thing, there is a chance that it was found already by another metal detectorist years ago or moved due to development (baseball diamonds have new sand added and old sand tilled quite a bit) I would hate for that to be the case though.

Hats off to you! That is a very honorable thing you are doing.

Good Luck!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dr. Witty

Dr. Witty

Jan 8, 2015
Upstate NY
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Turn down discrimination to right above iron, gold rings show up very low. Search very carefully and use perseverance. One thing, there is a chance that it was found already by another metal detectorist years ago or moved due to development (baseball diamonds have new sand added and old sand tilled quite a bit) I would hate for that to be the case though.

Hats off to you! That is a very honorable thing you are doing.

Good Luck!

Coinman:

This is great information as well as Charlie P's pull tab advice. I did look at HistoricAerials.com and it showed that the diamond shifted slightly to the right. Hopefully I'll have good news this weekend. The guy is just really happy that there's a chance, but he also knows it may be a long shot. Either way, I'll let you know how it goes. I have all year to look.

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
Coinman:

This is great information as well as Charlie P's pull tab advice. I did look at HistoricAerials.com and it showed that the diamond shifted slightly to the right. Hopefully I'll have good news this weekend. The guy is just really happy that there's a chance, but he also knows it may be a long shot. Either way, I'll let you know how it goes. I have all year to look.

Thanks! I hope you find it, I can't wait to hear how it goes.

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
For real...I mean if you find it would be among the best ever recoveries of all time! We are all rooting for you, good luck.

OP
OP
Dr. Witty

Dr. Witty

Jan 8, 2015
Upstate NY
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks everyone. I got home from work and tested my wife's gold rings in the basement(she wouldn't let me bury them in the yard:dontknow:). She's got a bunch of different ones. I got signals in the iron, nickel, and pull tab range just as you said. Even if this doesn't pan out this weekend, I'm going to continue for as long as I can. Stay tuned!

chiefdanaho

Jun 6, 2013
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
xp deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know most gold rings come in at the pulltab-- nickel range but be advised that the last 2 MENS class rings I dug both came in the zinc penny range.. I wouldnt pass up anything however..
like has already been said though, chances are that its been found long ago..good luck in your search,

dan

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is good of you to try and find it. It has been long time since it was lost and like they said it may have been found already by someone. Another thing that may help is what karat and how heavy is the ring?

yodi

Mar 24, 2015
NE Washington
Detector(s) used
Whites Coin Master / Garret Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I like what RED JAMES said, lol your a better man than me good luck.

TheRingFinder

Bronze Member
May 22, 2013
Minnesota
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab - E-Trac / Excalibur
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Witty - Behind a school - 40 years ago, there will be tons of trash. Take your time, dig EVERY hit. If you get lazy, and quit removing those pull tabs.....masking will be you undoing!! If it's there, and you are patient. You'll find it.

OP
OP
Dr. Witty

Dr. Witty

Jan 8, 2015
Upstate NY
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well I went out there on Saturday. It was really cold and windy and I was the only one there. I nearly froze my hands off, until I called it quits about 2 hours in. I didn't find a ton of trash but I didn't find the ring either. I'm also not giving up. It's a huge field and I have the whole year. I'm going to try again next Saturday, and of course, I'll keep you posted.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello Dr. Witty,

Good Luck in your endeavor. Gold reads in the trash region on the detector, so dig everything from 32 to 65 (I've found a lot of gold within this ID range) . You will dig a lot of trash, but that is the only way. Also, dig any higher tone; hate to leave silver and clad when doing a good deed. You have received some good advice from other members.

Regards,

Doc

OP
OP
Dr. Witty

Dr. Witty

Jan 8, 2015
Upstate NY
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks Doc, Alas I still only have the Ace 250 so no numerical ranges for me, but I know what you mean. I'll be going out there next weekend and I'll be digging all ranges. I also may be lucky enough to get some friends to help out with this dig.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread