Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good Luck Sunday CS

lumbercamp

Jun 22, 2006
What a bummer. Those hot dry days of summer are coming so you will have more opportunity to dig. Metal detecting is a fantastic hobby!

BioProfessor

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2007
Mankato, MN
Detector(s) used
Minelab e-Trac, White E-Series DFX
If you are metal detecting in the rain and it gets ankle deep and you are still hunting. You might seriously consider professional help.

In this case, I would recommend the professionally built Garrett Infinium LS. It is completely waterproof.

LOL

Daryl

OP
OP
coinseeker

coinseeker

Apr 26, 2007
Montana
Detector(s) used
dfx
This MDing can get addictive, and thanks for the info on the garrett, but I like my DFX, and can only dream of someday finding gold coins like you did..lol Those coins that I missed in the rain will just show up better after the rain stops. I'll have three days off starting Tuesday and should get a lot of MDing in. Have you ordered the Super 12 coil from White's yet for your DFX? They are knocking $200 off with a coupon offer. It is supposed to increase the depth ability by up to 30%.. I'm still learning my machine like you stated that you were: got Foster's book, Jimmy's book, and Clive's book.... Now if I can just read them during rain storms, maybe I can operate beyond the pre-set programs???lol Take care and keep the treasures piling up...

BioProfessor

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2007
Mankato, MN
Detector(s) used
I left Friday for a 3 month trip to do some metal detecting in Europe where the Romans roamed. I am sitting in Amsterdam right now. I am going to the beach tomorrow to check out my equipment and look for some modern coinage. Then it's off to the Roman stuff I hope. They had their gold coin mint in Thiel so I'm going to try and look around there. We may go to France where the Roman stuff is as plentiful as nails and pull tabs in the US. We'll see. Lot's of hype but the proof is in the pouch.

I did order the $250 coil for $50 when I got the DFX. I called them last week to see when it might be shipped. They lost my order. They finally found it and said it would be another $20 to send it out so I could get it before I left. I like the looks of the coil. It is lightweight. Much more so that the 11x14" DD Deepscan. That sucker will kill your arm. I'll keep you posted.

I got all the books too. But what I am finding is that I just need to trust the machine. The VDI and icons and graph will give you what you need to know. I am getting used to it so I am probably ready to start tweeking things a bit on the pro side. I really like the machine. Especially with the 4x6" DD shooter coil. Good coverage for such a small coil and the pinpointing is dead on. Depth always seems to be off - shows too deep.

I'll post pictures of what I find. We are going to the nude beach tomorrow to look for modern coins and check out everything. Sound be very interesting.

Daryl

OP
OP
coinseeker

coinseeker

Apr 26, 2007
Montana
Detector(s) used
dfx
Wow, that sounds like a great agenda, and sounds like it could be a little spendy (3 months). I hope that you find enough gold to make it profitable. I'm just getting into gold prospecting and MDing. My son-in-law and I found a lot of color(flour gold) in some concentrate last Saturday and are anxious to check it out in earnest next time out. Ihave been thinking of getting the 4x6 DD shooter for some trashy areas in some parks and other choice places. Good luck over seas and be careful what you detect on the nude beach......... Maybe you could make a small fortune selling some sun cream?????

BioProfessor

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2007
Mankato, MN
Detector(s) used
We are going to work on the agenda as we see about permissions. The other problem is that the crops are in and that takes away a lot of land that we might normally be available to hunt. I have a friend that has been doing this for many years and has a MD club he started just to do this kind of thing. So I think I have my contacts all lined up.

When the doctors made me retire, they said to travel sooner than later. No interpretation needed for that one, so we decided to try it. The Internet has made things so easy when it comes to getting information. We can look at hundreds of properties to stay at and try and find some real deals. We don't have a big budget (we try to stay under $30/night) so we have to find places that will give big discounts if you rent for a long time. We found the place on the beach this past winter that way, it was off season so if you rent for one week, they let you stay one month. So for 3 weeks rent, we got to stay almost the entire winter - 3 months. This place in Amsterdam is in the City Centre where all the canals are. They made us almost as good a deal as the place on the beach.

Transportation is cheap and since we have an apartment, we can buy local cheap groceries and cook and not have to go out. When all is said and done, once we get where we are going, it is about the same price as staying home.

I don't think I will make much money selling sun lotion on the nude beach. Hard to charge if they want it applied.

The beaches here are not as good for finding modern coins (they don't have clad) as it used to be. I guess most places are that way. For one, they have grooming machines that almost continuously groom the beaches. That picks up some stuff. And here, just as in the US, many more people using detectors. Even with all that, a normal take on a tourist beach if you get there real early and work the beach before others arrive averages a little over 100 Euros or about $130 a trip. That's per peak day during the summer. If it works out that way while I'm here, I may never be able to do another kiddie park or chip lot again. See the photo of the beach in the summer. Think they lose a Euro or two going to get a beer?

The person I will be hunting with, put his 2 sons through 4 years of college just with his beach finds.

Even if there is that much modern change there, I am still inclined to get away from the tourist beaches I would rather get to more desolate spots in hope of finding something old and interesting.

I got the 4x6" DD Shooter coil for that very reason. I hunt an old fairground that has continuously hosted the fair since 1853 (except for 2 years when they hung the indians in Mankato by executive order from Abraham Lincoln). It is full of old and new junk. If I used the regular coil, I would get 5-10 targets per swing. Switched over to the 4x6 coil and I got rid of about way over half and it is much easier to tell the trash.

Well I guess I shouldn't post pictures of detecting on the nude beaches, and we have all seen piles of change, so I guess I'll wait until I find something interesting in a historical sense to post.

Daryl

Attachments

• people.jpg
    people.jpg
    137.9 KB · Views: 164
OP
OP
coinseeker

coinseeker

Apr 26, 2007
Montana
Detector(s) used
dfx
That photo of the beach makes one wonder where you are going to detect? That is a lot of sunbathers. Sounds like you got a lock on a affordable three month trip. A few $130 days would pay the rent for your trip. The trip really sounds interesting and like something fun to do. We are going to Alaska in June for a family trip. I'll take the metal detector up there just in case I find time. We'll have 10 of us doing a lot of sight seeing for five days. My wife and I have been up there several times as our oldest daughter lives up there. Been checking into possible mining and MDing sites that will probably have to wait for another slower paced trip. Hope that your retirement goes well. I'm hoping to go out at 59.5 years of age, but it will have have to depend on the 401-K. It sure sounds nice to be able to have a three month vacation though. lol We also have a short vacation planned in the fall for Washington DC, Niagra Falls, and etc. That should be fun. Good luck on finding some more treasures. Sounds like I need to order a 4x6 DD shooter to clean up on those trashy areas.

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If a guy went to get a cold drink, he'd never find his place again! That looks like the Where's Waldo cartoon! Monty

OP
OP
coinseeker

coinseeker

Apr 26, 2007
Montana
Detector(s) used
dfx
I concur-- you would need a GPS just to get within 20-30 feet of your original spot. Leaving a bread crumb trail would probably be out of the question. lol And did you see Waldo?(I was loking for dropped coins).

BioProfessor

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2007
Mankato, MN
Detector(s) used
Didn't see Waldo but I'm sure he's there somewhere. Everybody else is.

Can you imagine taking kids to the beach here? Maybe you just take home the kids that are by you when you leave and bring them back the next weekend and exchange them. You'd never find the ones you came with.

Fortunately, it stays light until 11pm or later so you can detect after everyone leaves. Not so bad.

Daryl

OP
OP
coinseeker

coinseeker

Apr 26, 2007
Montana
Detector(s) used
dfx
I can honestly say that I would have been scared to take my kids to that beach when they were small. Why we would have been spending our whole time just trying to keep tabs on them(just didn't look very relaxing). Man, that is a lot of people at the beach. It sure would be interesting to search that beach after tan time was over and all the kids divvied up until the next weekend tanning session. Looks like a lot of potential for making those rent payments for the summer..lol

BioProfessor

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2007
Mankato, MN
Detector(s) used
It is a lot of people and it is that way every weekend. The really interesting thing about it and what makes it so lucrative, is the beach is lined with restaurants, shops, beer stands, etc. and NONE of them take credit cards. As a matter of fact, most places here don't take credit cards - grocery stores, drug stores, book stores, bakeries, small restaurants, all the little shops, almost none of the normal places - so everybody you see on the beach has to have cash to buy anything. You even have to have cash to use the restroom (30 cents a time). So everybody has to carry cash to the restaurant to eat, buy a beer, rent a lounge chair, anything. They also don't have dollar bills. Their coins go to 2 Euros ($2.60 US). Their first bill is a five Euro bill. So the possibility of dropping change is huge. If the weather is nice this weekend (so far it's been cool and rainy) I plan to hit the beach about 7pm Sunday when everybody leaves for home and dinner and search until dark. We'll see. It is just the beginning of the season so the number won't peak for about a month or so. We'll see how the take goes. The competition is just about as great as it is in the US. Lots of people prowling the beach with a metal detector.

Wish me luck. The more I find, the better I eat.

Daryl

OP
OP
coinseeker

coinseeker

Apr 26, 2007
Montana
Detector(s) used
dfx
Sounds like a MDing paradise, except for the competition. Good luck finding a lot of coins to beef up your lunch fund. If you fall on hard times, let me know and I can round you up some M.R.E. s or a case or two of canned goods to tide you over, during your three month search for European Treasure.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread