How do you clean green wheat pennies ?

madmikegolf

Apr 4, 2008
NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Minelab Excalibur II, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
I know you're not suppose to clean coins but I can't even read anything on the front or back of the green wheat pennies in the attached photo. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Attachments

• Green Wheats.jpg
    Green Wheats.jpg
    285.5 KB · Views: 409

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
soak them in vinegar, or put them in a tumbler. If you cant see a date, you arent hurting anything, the coin is already trash.

Higgy

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2014
NH
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Save all your crappy copper and smelt it into bars when you get enough. Way more valuable that way.

Save those copper bars for a rainy day!

heepiepow

Aug 27, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi! If you're like me and sometimes don't care about condition (maybe already sooo toasty; or a non-coin find you've spent a week trying to figure out and just had it so BAM--harsh solution), but just want to read dates to record finds or such--one thing that works great on copper pennies is "Simple Green" brand limescale remover. Or probably any cleaning product that uses the same main chemical (I think it's urea hydrochloride). After a day's soak just about all the patina stuff on top will be gone (well, of course, you should first vigorously scrape as much as possible with a toothpick or something, as long as it's not on the date itself). Some tough things need repeated days. A bottle will last a long time though.

If after the cleaning it turns out to be a 1909-s VDB, well big whoop! If you hadn't cleaned it it would've gone in the trashcan or random unknown date wheaties; and if it needs that much cleaning it's probably worth only a few bucks even for that coin. Big whoop! When in doubt and all else fails, chemicals! And also possibly wire brushes if you still can't read the date or other attributes of whatever you're curious about.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread