The Demise of the Metal Detecting Forum?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My secret password is "password", no one would ever think of that...LOL

Tiss funny...
This ACTUALLY WAS the most common password at one time...
Along with the word TEST... or TEST TEST...
Was common practice for website builders back in the day to use BOTH of these during "build" of site and accounts etc...
The problem was...
They would forget to remove them...
some would leave as a "back door"...
till was common knowledge.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tiss funny...
Was common practice for website builders back in the day to use BOTH of these during "build" of site and accounts etc...
The problem was...
I know, that is where I got it, it was a password we used to log into new phone systems we were installing. Another was Cisco / Cisco..

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Brookings-Harbor Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Keene A52 with Gold Hog mats
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My secret password is "password", no one would ever think of that...LOL

I worked on a ladies computer, that was her password for everything!
Viruses, worms, Trojan horses, a keylogger, rootkits, scareware, malware. It was a mess! Turns out the kid next door was causing problems, her Wi-Fi was unsecured.
She now uses stronger passwords. I now use remote access to keep an eye on things.
Stronger the password the better in my book!:icon_thumright:

OP
OP
John Winter

John Winter

Aug 23, 2014
England
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Even though my post has generated discourse that has gone off on a tangent, I am pleased. :laughing7:

AuSomeness

Aug 12, 2014
California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tiss funny...
The problem was...

Not much has changed, my friend...

https://www.trustwave.com/Resources/SpiderLabs-Blog/Look-What-I-Found---Moar-Pony!/

Note that 'password' was #4 in this breach analysis. '123456', '123456789', and '1234' came in as the top 3. I read this article when it came out and I'm still rolling my eyes. LOL.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Point is TN is far from dying....FB will never replace TN or the other top forums.... On FB everything is under one page, no categories, no logic. I have been on several, only one am I on regularly and that is to help the admin..

MD pages on Facebook is like a kindergarten to me while TN and couple other forums are more like collages..... You can learn more on TN in one day than a month on a FB page...

We average over 600 new registered members a month every month, if only 1/3 stay that is still 200..... TN always has 2500-5000 guests on......

As of the time of my post there are....

Currently Active Users

There are currently 2859 users online. 311 members and 2548 guests

Most users ever online was 15,889, Oct 14, 2014 at 09:22 AM.

Last edited:

AuSomeness

Aug 12, 2014
California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Even though my post has generated discourse that has gone off on a tangent, I am pleased. :laughing7:

I was about to comment on that. Apologies for continuing the derailing of this thread! I have noticed that Facebook has many threads relating to topics we discuss here. I enjoy using different sources for information, but I definitely don't feel sites like this are dying. Sites like TreasureNet will last as long as there are members who want it to exist. Because of this thread, I also found the TreasureNet Facebook page at http://www.facebook.com/TreasureNet :icon_thumright:

I do think that there are a TON of creepers on sites like this. If I didn't enjoy contributing and helping people so much, I probably would just creep too. That's how I got started here. Reading Eagle's wonderful thread on finding gold in Briceburg (creeping!).

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I lurked this site on and off since it was a "site"...
And finally joined last year.
:)

And will be the only MD site I join.

Last edited:

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh... I wanna add this...
I have spent time on every md site over the years...
Only joined one...
No offense to the "other sites" if you are lurking this thread...
It was just that Tnet is more "me".
FMDF is cool site... as well as many others...
And when I finally made the choice to actually join a site... I only wanted to join one site and concentrate on it only...
To be a "part"... of that sites family...
I am loyal to this choice... and i would like to "focus" on one thing at a time/it.
Sometimes... Less is more. :)

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Giving away information about your password strategies, including previous passwords will definitely not help you stay secure.

And :) that is why I didn't give the real one, just a for instance example :)

I felt I had to "nudge" readers in a better direction than just their puppy's name!

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And :) that is why I didn't give the real one, just a for instance example :)

I felt I had to "nudge" readers in a better direction than just their puppy's name!

You mean "puppy1" is not a good pass DS ? :)

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Tiss funny...
The problem was...

Yep!!! And that's how we used to do it when we cared about these things. Before there was a web browser and we used Telnet, Gopher, FTP's, etc...

In the early 90's I'd go into a Russian server and bounce around to places I could get into. In the early days of the net, you'd get into a surprising number of servers and just go taking a look around. An amazing thing, I hit a Russian server and bounced to a computer in Kansas City. And I found a paint system drawing I'd done for a Harley-Davidson plant there. And at the time I was thinking what a small world it actually was. Of all things you could find then - it was essentially wide open.

To clear the record here, I do not hack - didn't have to then. It was entertainment for a weary mind then.

Moral of the story = it is all out there. Even over 20 years ago, it was all out there. If you played and stored on a server, and even your own private PC, back then even a knucklehead like me could get there.

I'd imagine, don't know, but those Russian servers still play a part in most hacking today. And, given intent, most every password protection can be compromised.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After I got away from windows based systems my computer woes seemed to cease. I also do not allow advertising or pop ups I could accidentally click.
T-Net runs in cycles and is very apparent during the cabin fever long winters.
Now is when it is getting to be game on for many of the things we do.So we all should see some new and cool discoveries coming in the next two months.
Of course we have flood of biblical proportions coming this week here :dontknow:

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Now that is funny, just sitting here thinking "where did this start?" It's kind of like looking something up that I see while reading a thread then 3 hours later discovering that what I'm reading has nothing to do with anything I started reading about. I was almost suckered into Mycology tonight, too late and I know it suck more than a few hours out of the night.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is more entertaining than anything on TV!
And I'm learning things! :icon_thumright:

I haven't even been to all the forums on TNet, I'm e-challenged and get lost easy. :laughing7:

The kids set up a fb thing for me that I don't know how to use or post on, the only reason I read it once in a while is other family members post there.

If I'm going to spend time on line I would rather do it here where I enjoy it! :hello2:

Now if you guys could explain what the heck is up with my new cell ph....:icon_scratch:

I too have to write down my passwords and stuff and hope I don't lose the it. :dontknow:

augoldminer

Jan 7, 2013
high desert goldfields
Detector(s) used
gold master V-sat
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As for the numbers of members and guest on at any time.

Right now there are 309 members and 2600 guests.

But many of the guests are likely members that just have not logged in with username and password.

They will log in only when they have something to post.

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Brookings-Harbor Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Keene A52 with Gold Hog mats
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As for the numbers of members and guest on at any time.

Right now there are 309 members and 2600 guests.

But many of the guests are likely members that just have not logged in with username and password.

They will log in only when they have something to post.

Sure. If you don't log in, you can not read the "charter member" posts, or notification of new PM's. I subscribe to any and all threads that I'am interested in. I get emailed any new posts. With "Live posts" you can see the posts in real time. If it's a busy night you have got to be quick! :laughing7: I see a lot of spammers that make one post, get removed/banned. I think they still add to the T-net members list.

Mr. Winter I think facebook can not...or will not... EVER compare to T-net!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread