The Demise of the Metal Detecting Forum?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikeraydj

Bronze Member
May 19, 2014
Montana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Deteknix X-Pointer, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think that the reason that posts fall off from members on these sites, is because the newness wears off. I speak for myself in this case. When I first started I posted a lot. I was showing finds, making comments in general discussion. Giving my opinions on detectors. But then I started to get burned out. How many times can you talk about a detector? How many times do you want to post the St. Christopher medals you found? How many civil war bullets do you want to look at? Don't get me wrong, I love this hobby, but hearing how others hate the winter and telling others of every find has gotten boring. I will still post the great finds, and help the newbie. But I don't need to be validated as much as I did when I first started. I am grateful for all of the input and advice I get here, but I realize that I will never meet 99.9 % of the people here in person, let alone go on a hunt with them. So I have put that in perspective.

Last edited:

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Brookings-Harbor Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Keene A52 with Gold Hog mats
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think that the reason that posts fall off from members on these sites, is because the newness wears off. I speak for myself in this case. When I first started I posted a lot. I was showing finds, making comments in general discussion. Giving my opinions on detectors. But then I started to get burned out. How many times can you talk about a detector? How many times do you want to post the St. Christopher medals you found? How many civil war bullets do you want to look at? Don't get me wrong, I love this hobby, but hearing how others hate the winter and telling others of every find has gotten boring. I will still post the great finds, and help the newbie. But I don't need to be validated as much as I did when I first started.

Sure.
But....I see members state..I thought this was a metal detecting forum? Why are there music videos? OK.
because there are music threads. Threads about food. Photo threads. Off topic threads...so I hear..:laughing7:
This forum has garage sale/ebay/dumpster diving etc.
Music/eats/drinks/rides/mug shots etc.
Well rounded if you ask me.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think that the reason that posts fall off from members on these sites, is because the newness wears off. I speak for myself in this case. When I first started I posted a lot. I was showing finds, making comments in general discussion. Giving my opinions on detectors. But then I started to get burned out. How many times can you talk about a detector? How many times do you want to post the St. Christopher medals you found? How many civil war bullets do you want to look at? Don't get me wrong, I love this hobby, but hearing how others hate the winter and telling others of every find has gotten boring. I will still post the great finds, and help the newbie. But I don't need to be validated as much as I did when I first started. I am grateful for all of the input and advice I get here, but I realize that I will never meet 99.9 % of the people here in person, let alone go on a hunt with them. So I have put that in perspective.
I have easily met 75-100 members from TN over the years by attending events and hunted with 15 that I can think of...

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Repetition in life produces boredom...
But if you love what you do... and strive with passion
you will not get bored as often.

mikeraydj

Bronze Member
May 19, 2014
Montana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Treasure Hunter I am happy you have the time and the money to meet so many members. Being a Mod, I can see how that is in your best interest. That's just not my experience. Living in Orlando, I am sure you could find 15 detectorists on the beach any given day. In little Bozeman I have met 1 the whole time I have been detecting. Prospecting is more popular here. I love to go detecting. I just get bored with seeing the same old finds. Not saying that they are not great for the finder. I look for the ones that I haven't seen before. I also get bored with the same old topics. Which is the best detector? How do I clean my find? Etc. All good questions, but have seen them asked many times so I don't read those threads anymore. TNET is a great place for detectorists. I just don't feel the need to put my 2 cents worth in as often on topics that have been posted over and over.
The reality is, I will probably never find a Spanish reale, or civil war buckle. I will probably not have a four gold ring day, or find a standing liberty as the population doesn't support it. But my treasure is living in a place where I wake to majestic snow capped peaks, lush forests, clean running streams, and elbow room, people who for the most part say hello to their neighbor and not wonder if you are trying to scam them. And deer grazing in my yard. The older I get, the more I realize that is my banner find.

Last edited:

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
But many of the guests are likely members that just have not logged in with username and password.

I will confess to this as well. I keep Tnet open in a separate tab all day and night long while I'm out doing things. I'll come up and refresh it to see what's new - there's just too many very interesting threads here to stay away.... I have an addiction, maybe need intervention.

And, I only log in when I have something to post. As for the Charter Member forums, I don't enter those anymore (except of course seeing that contest TH posted) - they just made me angry.

Back to the intent of the thread as posted by John Winter, Tnet is not dying. I've passed the link on to dozens and dozens of people. Whether they visit or not is another story.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hmmm...

Not sure but it just sorta "hit me"...

Not "logging in" is like going to someones house and just standing on the porch lookin in the window at them... heh :)

Sounds creepy huh ?

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Treasure Hunter I am happy you have the time and the money to meet so many members. Being a Mod, I can see how that is in your best interest. That's just not my experience. Living in Orlando, I am sure you could find 15 detectorists on the beach any given day. In little Bozeman I have met 1 the whole time I have been detecting. Prospecting is more popular here. I love to go detecting. I just get bored with seeing the same old finds. Not saying that they are not great for the finder. I look for the ones that I haven't seen before. I also get bored with the same old topics. Which is the best detector? How do I clean my find? Etc. All good questions, but have seen them asked many times so I don't read those threads anymore. TNET is a great place for detectorists. I just don't feel the need to put my 2 cents worth in as often on topics that have been posted over and over.

Having money or no money has little to do with meeting/hooking up with members to detect I feel. Read many times that somebody is on the side of being financially challenged and others have offered up rides, to bring them out to sites, and to share. Given the fact that some live in a geographical area that offers up more opportunities than others to meet and to detect with others, doesn't mean they have to and they can just detect alone and not bother with meeting anyone. I feel it's only a loss to the reader not to look at a thread on something average, or a topic that has been discussed till the cows came home, as by page two the original topic has gone to someplace that there's a new idea, or reference that opens my mind a little more and that I feel is worth while having a look. When we stop learning-we stop living.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The reality is, I will probably never find a Spanish reale, or civil war buckle. I will probably not have a four gold ring day, or find a standing liberty as the population doesn't support it. But my treasure is living in a place where I wake to majestic snow capped peaks, lush forests, clean running streams, and elbow room, people who for the most part say hello to their neighbor and not wonder if you are trying to scam them. And deer grazing in my yard. The older I get, the more I realize that is my banner find.

Mike I wasn't putting your post down, only replying to it part about meeting other hunters...

If I lived in Bozeman I would be out hunting the early settlers homesteads, and old fort sites as well as hunting the Indian battle sites. A metal arrow head would mean as much to me as a gold ring.....

I have been to Bozeman at least a dozen times as I have been to Yellowstone 10 times.....The NE entrance to Yellowstone is one of my favorites.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hmmm...
It would seem...
By example of this thread...

THIS forum...
Is NOT "dying" anytime soon.
:)

mikeraydj

Bronze Member
May 19, 2014
Montana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Mike I wasn't putting your post down, only replying to it part about meeting other hunters...

If I lived in Bozeman I would be out hunting the early settlers homesteads, and old fort sites as well as hunting the Indian battle sites. A metal arrow head would mean as much to me as a gold ring.....

I have been to Bozeman at least a dozen times as I have been to Yellowstone 10 times.....The NE entrance to Yellowstone is one of my favorites.

I didn't think you were putting me down. Just noting that peoples experience in this hobby varies. It is a fact that the farther east you are, the older artifacts you will find. The larger the population, the more targets that are available. I don't begrudge others for their finds. I applaud them. But I also want others to know that finding a wheat penny here may be as rare as finding a standing liberty back east. I have a few old sites that I will be hitting this summer. But a lot of the places you have mentioned are historical and off limits to detecting here. You have to be careful. Also a lot of those sites are privately owned and permissions are hard to get, that is if you can even find who owns them. My research skills are lacking and I would be open to seeing more threads that devote content that educates us on how to effectively find new places to hunt. I use this site more for learning than for social interaction. I am always open to making a new friend, but primarily came here to learn.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread