pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I guess for me if its pre-1800 the ratio is only 10 copper to one silver unfortunately.

If it's pre 1800 I weep, 3 coppers and no silver.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it's pre 1800 I weep, 3 coppers and no silver.

If pre 1800 my ratio certainly improves, but it's hard to be very accurate because I have quite a few blank coppers... plus I just can't sort something like that out in my head and would have to actually count to be anywhere near accurate.

OP
OP
coinman123

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
I live in South NH, pretty inland though. I'm pretty sure location is another big thing too.

OP
OP
coinman123

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
I guess for me if its pre-1800 the ratio is only 10 copper to one silver unfortunately.

If so, my next colonial coin is a silver, at least I hope (and kind of doubt).

OP
OP
coinman123

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
Yeah I could likely do that, just would never be able to put them in order.

That would be pretty awesome. Feel free to post some of your best here if you would like, I am dying to see what you have found in order, I have always been impressed by your finds.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That would be pretty awesome. Feel free to post some of your best here if you would like, I am dying to see what you have found in order, I have always been impressed by your finds.

I'll see what i can do, but they'll likely be more to Kiddo's taste as we are from the same part of the world.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok, here goes. I'll throw 25 on which are a combination of my best and favorites. These are the easier ones to get at, but it looks like I could do a pretty solid list of 50... but we'll save that for next Winter! I'll throw on 5 at a time, and will take my time, as I have a full pot of coffee ready to go. :)

The first is the Portugal 5 Reis. I like this one for a variety of reasons.... it's old, nice condition with a great patina, and it's something different.

21et9uq.jpg

4t3a4h.jpg

Next is a George II Halfpenny. The patina does it for me on this one.

dnzt6v.jpg

x8zyh.jpg

A double struck George III Halfpenny. Pretty uncommon to find error coins.

2utmb7b.jpg

65ved1.jpg

1773 Counterfeit George III. I like my ctfts! (Boyish George family)

351zfvc.jpg

118jcxk.jpg

1787 CT copper. Can't remember the variety, but did ID it and was Very Scarce. This one I like for a different reason, and that was it was dug just an hour or so before my best button find in 2001. Was a great day!

6xpy53.jpg

308lbgl.jpg

Some Spanish

1qsf0g.jpg

2vl1fue.jpg

2iux72u.jpg

21505er.jpg

2m4y3nr.jpg

2gtu8mq.jpg

2djcwes.jpg

35d2gr4.jpg

xnw3nm.jpg

k4unwp.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
coinman123

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
Ok, here goes. I'll throw 25 on which are a combination of my best and favorites. These are the easier ones to get at, but it looks like I could do a pretty solid list of 50... but we'll save that for next Winter! I'll throw on 5 at a time, and will take my time, as I have a full pot of coffee ready to go. :)

The first is the Portugal 5 Reis. I like this one for a variety of reasons.... it's old, nice condition with a great patina, and it's something different.

21et9uq.jpg

4t3a4h.jpg

Next is a George II Halfpenny. The patina does it for me on this one.

dnzt6v.jpg

x8zyh.jpg

A double struck George III Halfpenny. Pretty uncommon to find error coins.

2utmb7b.jpg

65ved1.jpg

1773 Counterfeit George III. I like my ctfts! (Boyish George family)

351zfvc.jpg

118jcxk.jpg

1787 CT copper. Can't remember the variety, but did ID it and was Very Scarce. This one I like for a different reason, and that was it was dug just an hour or so before my best button find in 2001. Was a great day!

6xpy53.jpg

308lbgl.jpg

:notworthy: Awesome coppers, I like the 1722 and the error best. You got some nice ones!!

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds

You reported your half pennies as "large", is there any other kind ? lol

I guess I would have to say my coin ratio would be roughly the same as IPs, maybe a few more coppers than silvers, but that's ok!

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1812 3 Shillings. Half dollar in size and quite a surprise. It was at the first site while kicking off a road trip, so made for a great start! (and memory)

qxuwix.jpg

2nst4xf.jpg

1706 Cob.... my first! I had just walked away from the site down towards the water and there wasn't much there, except this! I was sort of in disbelief walking back to show Ironhorse. That was likely way back in 2000.

21abgav.jpg

2m7itmv.jpg

1707 Charles pretender cob. We had no clue what this was, and is definitely one of my favorite Spanish silver because it is not typical.

ou1ch2.jpg

el4pav.jpg

1727 French 24 Sols. I waited many years to find a high quality French silver coin in nice condition, and finally a few years ago this popped out. After so long it's kind of hard to believe you're finally seeing it happen. :)

2li8p34.jpg

2eevoes.jpg

This next is just a neat countermarked silver, not sure of an ID, but is cool. It actually brings back a bad memory as it was dug on the first hunt of a very good site and my detector was giving me problems that day and Ironhorse absolutely destroyed me on finds.... but at least I got this! Other side is blank.

dm4px4.jpg

1795 Large Cent. A very tough one to cross off here, but I think we will see another!

dfit54.jpg

2jbs3du.jpg

1777 8 Reales. Ugly but it's off the list and now to find another!

s5z49h.jpg

ztvdy8.jpg

Rare 1773 impossible date Hibernia Halfpenny. You can search this forum, and probably watch future finds for a long time before you will see another non regal year for one of these. I have never seen one posted.

2upblfd.jpg

sl5sid.jpg

1722 Rosa Americana Twopence

2d9ntqx.jpg

Last edited:

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This would take a lot of explanation to give the story on this countermarked token, but for several reason I believe it's unique to my area, just hard to get any traction when it's the only one that exists. Some day I'll start the push to get it in the Charlton guide for Canadian Colonial tokens. I've been asked to sell, and the figure of a grand came up, but no way, I still want to make the effort to get it recognized.

10elmo7.jpg

1500s French countermarked douzain for use in the Colonies.

27ywbio.jpg

t9ccjd.jpg

Fairly rare local token. Was with my toasted coppers, and I'm lucky to just have discovered it. Ugly, but off the list for my local stuff.

332xh5e.jpg

66glsl.jpg

25oxvf8.jpg

Rare NFLD token. About 14 known.

2vjei9w.jpg

33vygra.jpg

la6c8.jpg

My best, local token punched form an 8 reales. Published in a book recently. About 14 known.

29ghnid.jpg

25tb3up.jpg

149002e.jpg

K1DDO1979

Silver Member
Feb 8, 2014
Peggy's Cove, Nova Scotia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Fisher F75 Ltd SE 2 & Fisher F2 with 11"DD
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Iron patch that must have took some time and work to post. Those are some real killer finds. Someday I hope to hunt a "iron patch" with ya! [emoji2]

K1DDO1979

Silver Member
Feb 8, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You reported your half pennies as "large", is there any other kind ? lol

I guess I would have to say my coin ratio would be roughly the same as IPs, maybe a few more coppers than silvers, but that's ok!

Sometimes I show the list to people that don't know much about any coins. So I state "large" because some of them are so bad that they would even probably think a half penny is a cent cut in half. The list does need some work and updating one of these days! Haha

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Only 7 more coppers to go and you'll get your silver! [emoji2]

If I count what I have dug from the other side of the pond, well things change a bit, but I'm thinking the ratio might be pretty close 10-1:)

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iron patch that must have took some time and work to post. Those are some real killer finds. Someday I hope to hunt a "iron patch" with ya! [emoji2]

More time than I expected. :) But I had lots of coffee and did 5 at a time.

Anytime you want to dig some dirt head on over.

K1DDO1979

Silver Member
Feb 8, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
More time than I expected. :) But I had lots of coffee and did 5 at a time.

Anytime you want to dig some dirt head on over.

We will have to meet up one of these days for sure. I have some good researched permission sites that have never been touched all around the province that I never got to yet. With permissions to hunt. Lots of opportunity out there. Driving all around at work for lobsters has its perks for finding new locations! Haha

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We will have to meet up one of these days for sure. I have some good researched permission sites that have never been touched all around the province that I never got to yet. With permissions to hunt. Lots of opportunity out there. Driving all around at work for lobsters has its perks for finding new locations! Haha

We do exchange trips almost every year! (or used to) Romeo used to really get his digs in here! :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread